FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Family Program
Thread: Family Program
View Single Post
Old May 26, 2018, 1:44 am
extramileage

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
So the program appears to be up and running in a "soft launch" mode with no official announcement.

If you are just getting going with Skywards or are adding new family members with no Skywards history, it could be interesting (although online upgrades still not available from an IT perspetive).

However, since the account starts at zero and miles can't be freely transferred, this is not useful if you have existing accounts with material amounts of miles in them. You'd need to drain the accounts first (which is hard without losing some miles) to make it useful, otherwise it's like just having another account to manage on top of the existing ones. Even my two kids have ~30-50k miles each in their accounts that are not worth losing. So if add them to the Family Plan, i'd have the Family Plan with a low balance and their existing accounts with limited use for their miles as redemptions must come from only one account. Maybe add family members who fly EK infrequently, assuming they dont mind but still probably have to lose (or use at low value) any existing miles.

Bottom line: I won't be accruing any miles into it for now.