Wiki Posts
Search

Fleet Allocation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Fleet Allocation

Does EK allocate aircraft of certain ages to specific routes? For example, I noticed recent flights from ORD-DXB have been nearly brand new planes (a year or less) whereas ones flying SEA-DXB have been 6-10 years old (still young for the industry but older than other destinations). I seem to have experienced this elsewhere around the network as well.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:53 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
I don't think there is an 'official' view on this, but if you study: The EK Source - Emirates Airline Route Tracker. you will see that what you see is most probably true.
Sadly, on the CPT/DXB route we seem to get >4 year frames.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Interesting. How often is F resfreshed in these old birds? Meaning if I fly a plane that is 8 years old, will F be 8 years old? Or will it have been updated with the newer ICE screen for example?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ffman999
Interesting. How often is F resfreshed in these old birds? Meaning if I fly a plane that is 8 years old, will F be 8 years old? Or will it have been updated with the newer ICE screen for example?
It will be 8 years old -no a380# frames have been refreshed afaik
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: EK Plat
Originally Posted by m3red

It will be 8 years old -no a380# frames have been refreshed afaik
And some of the older frames are in dire need of maintenance. Flew on A6-EDC a few days ago in J, 17/76 seats had non functioning ICE, many seats wouldn't recline properly and the state of them was, quite simply, disgusting. Not to mention that I suspect the cushioning on a sumo wrestler's mattress was better than the seat I eventually had.

I was advised before takeoff to move seats as the one I had chosen apparently wouldn't recline; the seat the crew tried to move me to was already occupied by another person with a broken seat; the next alternative was a seat in the final row by the bar which was politely declined and I think they eventually moved someone travelling on a staff ticket to accommodate me in a working seat. I did feel bad but this was a paid J flex ticket after all and without meaning to sound like the Christmas grinch, I was extremely hungover and didn't want to partake in or hear the onboard festivities.

And with a load of 72/76, the CSV spent the majority of the time apologising to irate customers. I felt sorry for him seeing as it really wasn't his fault and there was nothing he could do.

Now admittedly this was the inbound to Dubai, the turnaround on the ground was lightning fast due to fog delays in DXB so there was limited time for maintenance to sort out issues but surely everything couldn't have broken on the outbound.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:37 pm

Although neither of these rules fit your example as far as I can tell, routes can be restricted to certain aircraft based on whether or not they have a crew rest area and also MTOW on newer aircaft is often higher so they can carry more fuel.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Very interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

Does anyone find they put newer planes on more high profile routes such as LHR, JFK etc.?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:10 pm

Since the Adelaide Route started a few years ago it almost always had the older 777's A6-ECx and occasionally A6-EGx aircraft but never the newer ones, but as of a few months ago it almost always has the newer ones with updated J class A6-EPx and A6-EQx.
Not sure what prompted the change as ADL would most certainly not be a high profile route. They still do on rare occasions send the older one's however.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Firemansam
Since the Adelaide Route started a few years ago it almost always had the older 777's A6-ECx and occasionally A6-EGx aircraft but never the newer ones, but as of a few months ago it almost always has the newer ones with updated J class A6-EPx and A6-EQx.
Not sure what prompted the change as ADL would most certainly not be a high profile route. They still do on rare occasions send the older one's however.
Might be that the inbound to DXB is one of the higher profile routes and ADL gets the bird that is most optimal (aka reduces ground time) on a particular rotation. Would be interesting to do an analysis on this... @ZRHMD11 , interested?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
It "feels" like there is a more consistent fleet 777 allocation since the introduction of the frames with the new J last year and now new F, but I can't say it's a particularly scientific opinion (e.g. ULH US get the new J, BRU/GVA/STN the new F, A6-EC* on more regional routes, etc).

Other than the necessary ULH A380's to the US west coast and A6-EUM to NCE, it's a bit more all over the place for the A380s.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ffman999
Very interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

Does anyone find they put newer planes on more high profile routes such as LHR, JFK etc.?
Not from my experience, having had both old and newish recently on LHR flights.
I go expecting an old ED* registration, but best to check eksource for where everything is going to, although it’s fairly much all bets off unless you are on a two class.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Seat54

Not from my experience, having had both old and newish recently on LHR flights.
I go expecting an old ED* registration, but best to check eksource for where everything is going to, although it’s fairly much all bets off unless you are on a two class.
mancheter is guaranteed an ED
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by m3red
mancheter is guaranteed an ED
Must be the ones with the strengthened floor in the bar for the extended social gatherings. :-)
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:57 am

While I also "patterns" (old frames to CPT/India) I also sometimes find exceptions, and let's not forget Confirmation bias, it's the same as being in the queue in the supermarket and one always notices when one's queue is the slowest, but rarely when it is faster, and thus feels like it is always the slowest queue.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Yes I see exceptions too but it is interesting: ORD and BOS tend to get newer 777’s than SEA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.