Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Operational Upgrades Experience 2018 - Please Post Here

Your Operational Upgrades Experience 2018 - Please Post Here

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 28, 17, 4:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Zol
Wiki Link
Please post your 2018 Operational Upgrade Experiences in this thread.

Around the middle of 2016, Emirates modified their Operational Upgrade Policy favouring type of ticket over status holders, giving non status passengers on Flex and Flex Plus tickets an advantage over (for example) Silver members on a Saver ticket. During the latter half of 2016, less Op Ups were reported but we would still like to hear when they happen.

Link to the 2017 thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...ost-here.html#

Please use the following format for ease of reading and of course, discussion is still welcome.

Example:

Upgrade given: Y - J

Upgrade location: Gate

Route: BKK-DXB

Flight number: EK385

Type of ticket: Saver

Date of travel: 040115

Tier status: Gold

Tier miles to date: 18,000

Skywards miles balance: 80,000

Number of pax on the same PNR (Including OP): 1

Number of pax upgraded: 1

Safe & Happy Travels and May The Upgrade Gods Look Upon You.

Saltire74
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 27, 18, 4:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, HHonors Diamond,
Chance of upgrade on upcoming flight

Hello,

I'm booked onto EK 407 as a Qantas codeshare (QF 8407) this coming Saturday, Sept 1 in economy. The flight looks overbooked in Economy and just a handful of seats in First and Business according to ExpertFlyer:
F3 A0 J2 C0 I0 O0 P0 Y0 E0 R0 W0 M0
B0 U0 K0 H0 Q0 L0 T0 V0 X0

I'm booked into K class on Qantas, which I understand translates to Flex Economy category in Emirates-speak. I'm a QF Plat member, which as I understand it places me in the same place as EK Platinum members when it comes to op-ups. Any guesses on likelihood that I might be pleasantly surprised by an upgrade at the gate on arrival in Melbourne (starting the journey in Auckland)?
Old Aug 27, 18, 5:18 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by riteshshah View Post
Hello,

I'm booked onto EK 407 as a Qantas codeshare (QF 8407) this coming Saturday, Sept 1 in economy. The flight looks overbooked in Economy and just a handful of seats in First and Business according to ExpertFlyer:
F3 A0 J2 C0 I0 O0 P0 Y0 E0 R0 W0 M0
B0 U0 K0 H0 Q0 L0 T0 V0 X0

I'm booked into K class on Qantas, which I understand translates to Flex Economy category in Emirates-speak. I'm a QF Plat member, which as I understand it places me in the same place as EK Platinum members when it comes to op-ups. Any guesses on likelihood that I might be pleasantly surprised by an upgrade at the gate on arrival in Melbourne (starting the journey in Auckland)?
Don't get your hopes up. J2 C0 usually means J is overbooked, too. But always a chance, though better to be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed
Old Aug 27, 18, 5:58 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
IO...
Nah, they don't count...
Old Aug 27, 18, 7:40 am

Don't get your hopes up. J2 C0 usually means J is overbooked, too. But always a chance, though better to be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed
i can guarantee the only seats left are 3 F, Y and J are oversold.
Old Aug 27, 18, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by m3red View Post

i can guarantee the only seats left are 3 F, Y and J are oversold.
Agreed, but there are always cancellations and no-shows, though as it is to DXB rather than ex DXB there'll be fewer connections so probably a lower no-show rate then the reciprocal.
Old Aug 27, 18, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, HHonors Diamond,
Thanks for the replies. Can I verify that QF Plats are treated the same as EK Plats when it comes to prioritising upgrades?
Old Aug 27, 18, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by riteshshah View Post
Thanks for the replies. Can I verify that QF Plats are treated the same as EK Plats when it comes to prioritising upgrades?
To my knowledge yes
Old Aug 29, 18, 4:47 am

Programs: EK Gold / SPG Platinum Elite
Upgrade location: Check in
Route: DXB-BLR
Flight number: EK564
Type of ticket: ECONOMY FLEX
Date of travel: 21 Aug 2018
Tier miles to date: 62,315
Skywards miles balance: 132,000
Number of pax upgraded: 1
Old Aug 29, 18, 5:10 am

Not EK but thought worthy to post since Fly Dubai moved to using Skywards. First ever upgrade on FZ, not sure if it was sheer luck or due to my Gold status Wife got upgraded too. Anyone else have this happen?

Route: DXB-SLL
Flight number: FZ033
Type of ticket: ECONOMY
Date of travel: 16 Aug 2018
Number of pax on the same PNR (Including OP): 2
Number of pax upgraded: 2
Old Aug 30, 18, 3:01 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dubaibaby View Post
Not EK but thought worthy to post since Fly Dubai moved to using Skywards. First ever upgrade on FZ, not sure if it was sheer luck or due to my Gold status Wife got upgraded too. Anyone else have this happen?

Route: DXB-SLL
Flight number: FZ033
Type of ticket: ECONOMY
Date of travel: 16 Aug 2018
Number of pax on the same PNR (Including OP): 2
Number of pax upgraded: 2
That's very interesting indeed. Was it EK or FZ stock?
Old Aug 30, 18, 3:43 am

It was FZ metal
Old Aug 30, 18, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by dubaibaby View Post
It was FZ metal
Zol is askin who issued the ticket, not who was the operating carrier
Old Aug 30, 18, 4:30 am

Zol is askin who issued the ticket, not who was the operating carrier
Ah right! It was issued by FZ
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Sep 2, 18, 4:41 am

Programs: EK-Gold, SPG, Amex
Upgrade location: Transfer desk
Route: DXB-LON
Flight number: EK029
Type of ticket: ECONOMY FLEX Plus
Date of travel: 23 Aug 2018
Tier miles to date: 67899
Skywards miles balance: 95477

Number of pax upgraded: 2 (including my wife who is a Blue member and was on a different PNR).

This was a very interesting op-up experience at the transfer desk in DXB. During check in for BLR-DXB, I was given a standby boarding pass for my onward leg DXB-LHR, and was told to re-check upon landing in DXB. I landed in DXB, went straight to the transfer desk and was promptly upgraded to J. Since there were 3 of us travelling on 3 different PNRs and I did not want to be separated, I requested the agent to accommodate all of us in J (I knew was a super long shot, but decided to try anyways).
My wife was immediately upped, but my friend who was on a saver ticket was not. The agent then asked me again if I wanted to travel as a group and not split, and I again asked her to re-check if we could all get upped, and if we couldn't all go then we'd decide. She spoke to someone on the phone, hung up and then asked me if we were OK with different seats, to which we said it's fine (naturally we assumed she had upped us all to J, and different seats wouldn't be such a big deal). She re-printed our passes and handed them back, and that's when I noticed she had put us ALL back on economy.
At this point, I was cut up because she had not conveyed the final position before re-allocating the seats, and asked her what she had done. She seemed to have realised her mistake and immediately put me back in J, my wife on standby and my friend remained in Y, and asked us to re-check when we were exiting the lounge to board. Sure enough, my wife was confirmed in J with me and my friend had to "slum" it out in Y.
Weird experience, a bit of a departure from the normally smooth agents in DXB.
Old Sep 2, 18, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by mannimagus View Post
Upgrade location: Transfer desk
Route: DXB-LON
Flight number: EK029
Type of ticket: ECONOMY FLEX Plus
Date of travel: 23 Aug 2018
Tier miles to date: 67899
Skywards miles balance: 95477

Number of pax upgraded: 2 (including my wife who is a Blue member and was on a different PNR).

This was a very interesting op-up experience at the transfer desk in DXB. During check in for BLR-DXB, I was given a standby boarding pass for my onward leg DXB-LHR, and was told to re-check upon landing in DXB. I landed in DXB, went straight to the transfer desk and was promptly upgraded to J. Since there were 3 of us travelling on 3 different PNRs and I did not want to be separated, I requested the agent to accommodate all of us in J (I knew was a super long shot, but decided to try anyways).
My wife was immediately upped, but my friend who was on a saver ticket was not. The agent then asked me again if I wanted to travel as a group and not split, and I again asked her to re-check if we could all get upped, and if we couldn't all go then we'd decide. She spoke to someone on the phone, hung up and then asked me if we were OK with different seats, to which we said it's fine (naturally we assumed she had upped us all to J, and different seats wouldn't be such a big deal). She re-printed our passes and handed them back, and that's when I noticed she had put us ALL back on economy.
At this point, I was cut up because she had not conveyed the final position before re-allocating the seats, and asked her what she had done. She seemed to have realised her mistake and immediately put me back in J, my wife on standby and my friend remained in Y, and asked us to re-check when we were exiting the lounge to board. Sure enough, my wife was confirmed in J with me and my friend had to "slum" it out in Y.
Weird experience, a bit of a departure from the normally smooth agents in DXB.
A few months ago I saw my seat change on the app about 6 hours prior to my onward flight from DXB (I was enroute to DXB from CPT), which is super early and unusual as mostly it is at T-60 (more or less on the dot), I wonder if this is what happened with you here, i.e. you were already upgraded or earmarked for upgrade in BLR (as it's a short flight, so probably within 6 hours or so of the DXB onward flight) but maybe they can't print the upgraded BP or something...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: