Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK vs EY?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
EK vs EY?

I've been contemplating a move from EY to EK for a while - given EY's failing soft product and upcoming devaluation of the FF program. I am an EY gold. I fly primarily in J and have flown EK J once before in 2013 and it was amazing compared to EY - Bvlgari amenity kits, matress pad and plush bedding on a 7hrs LHR-DXB flight and amazing catering. Has cost-cutting also hit EK? And is it worth switching loyalty?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Hi! Welcome to the EK forum.

I regularly fly both EK and EY ULH flights between AU and the Middle East. Hopefully that qualifies me to speak about the advantages in long haul flying.

The strongest point in favour of EK is their T3 operations which are simply unmatchable worldwide. It’s like Apple products, you use them
because it’s seamless. The EK T3 experience is likewise, and as far as a global hub goes, you will not find anything like it.

In recent years I would say EK has fallen behind EY in hard product in J and F. The design and comfort of EY cabins is excellent. That said, many EU destinations are still serviced by EY A330 aircraft, and these are usually older and less comfortable.

The premium cabin soft product of EK is far greater than EY. Food choices, quality and alcohol selections are far superior on EK. The beds are also better, although the angle flats on EK 777 are getting a bit tired.

The future of EY is perhaps one of the main reasons you should consider EK. Given recent poor investments, performance and brutal cut backs at EY, EK will seem like an airline of the golden age! Not to say we don’t have cut backs, but nothing on the scale of EY.

Also Ek’s lounge and outstation lounge offerings are far superior in J.

Hopefully this gives some direction.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by sydtogla
Also Ek’s lounge and outstation lounge offerings are far superior in J.
OP will only be entitled to the Unaccompanied Minors Lounge in DXB unless travelling with others.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28913776-post166.html
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
OP will only be entitled to the Unaccompanied Minors Lounge in DXB unless travelling with others.

But at outstations OP may be able to gain access depending on the country.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR

Indeed.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
I fly EY in J unaccompanied regularly and always get J lounge access unaccompanied.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:17 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DatBoi
I fly EY in J unaccompanied regularly and always get J lounge access unaccompanied.
EK is known to be more strict in this regard, but as always YMMV. It does help if you look somewhat older so they wouldn’t question it or look into how old you are.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:26 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
One thing to note is that on EY you are guaranteed full-flat, direct aisle access, 1-2-1 configuration in J (on all but short haul aircraft) whereas on EK J you will currently get the incredibly dated sloping 2-3-2 config on their B777, which still serves a good many long haul destinations. EK A380 is a different, much much better story.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:28 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
I guess my recommendation about the alcohol choices is irrelevant then...
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
One thing to note is that on EY you are guaranteed full-flat, direct aisle access, 1-2-1 configuration in J (on all but short haul aircraft) whereas on EK J you will currently get the incredibly dated sloping 2-3-2 config on their B777, which still serves a good many long haul destinations. EK A380 is a different, much much better story.
EK’s 777’s aren’t the best ride in J but they beat out the EY A320’s operating many longer routes like MAA/CMB which I frequently fly. Also all of my long haul flying is to A380 destinations which EK has a growing number of.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:32 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by DatBoi
EK’s 777’s aren’t the best ride in J but they beat out the EY A320’s operating many longer routes like MAA/CMB which I frequently fly. Also all of my long haul flying is to A380 destinations which EK has a growing number of.
Conversely, all of my long haul EY routes have long haul aircraft & any potential EK routes have B777, therefore, as usual YMMV
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by S.R
EK is known to be more strict in this regard, but as always YMMV. It does help if you look somewhat older so they wouldn’t question it or look into how old you are.
Forum regulars will remember a fairly recent saga regarding hoped for underage lounge entry.

Unless something has changed it's not going to happen.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Forum regulars will remember a fairly recent saga regarding hoped for underage lounge entry.

Unless something has changed it's not going to happen.
​​​​​​Ahmed hast been quiet for a while - would be useful if he were to add his experience.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
My experience on EY has provided mixed feelings, whilst I love the business suite product and the menu, the F apartment experience has on all three occasions been lousy.

Only the other day I flew SYD-AUH in F and I think it will be the last time for EY F

As for EK I do not like their 777 J class sardine can but it’s bearable in the right seat on a relatively short flight. However it beats BA (brilliantly awful) and their coffin world offering

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.