Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates and EC261 compensation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
Title is confusing - Supreme court ruling? What ruling, what Supreme court?
Search for Gahan v Emirates or Buckley v Emirates which were decided in the UK Court of Appeal last year. Emirates indicated their intention to appeal, but the UK Supreme Court denied them this permission in March this year.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Finding reason for delay?

I have been attempting to claim EC261 compensation for a delayed flight last year that led to my arriving 24 hours late at destination out of Amsterdam. My first two emails were rebuffed by the claim that Emirates did not have to give compensation on delays due to missed connection.

I emailed again recently after the Supreme Court refused Emirates leave to appeal against the judgement stating that they are in fact liable. This time, they replied and stated that they would not pay because the delay was due to a passenger having a medical emergency.

The flight was announced as delayed long before we even boarded, and the aircraft had been on the ground for many hours since arrival (so, not due to delay from any incident on an inbound flight). The fact that they never stated this until now makes me think that they are simply lying to my face.

Is there any way to find out the true reason for a delay? If the airlines can simply make up a reason with no way to check it, the legislation would seem to have little value.

The flight was EK150 out of Amsterdam on August 10th 2017.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Katamarino
I have been attempting to claim EC261 compensation for a delayed flight last year that led to my arriving 24 hours late at destination out of Amsterdam. My first two emails were rebuffed by the claim that Emirates did not have to give compensation on delays due to missed connection.

I emailed again recently after the Supreme Court refused Emirates leave to appeal against the judgement stating that they are in fact liable. This time, they replied and stated that they would not pay because the delay was due to a passenger having a medical emergency.

The flight was announced as delayed long before we even boarded, and the aircraft had been on the ground for many hours since arrival (so, not due to delay from any incident on an inbound flight). The fact that they never stated this until now makes me think that they are simply lying to my face.

Is there any way to find out the true reason for a delay? If the airlines can simply make up a reason with no way to check it, the legislation would seem to have little value.

The flight was EK150 out of Amsterdam on August 10th 2017.
That would be a question for the rules of procedure in the country where you sue them.

I would note of course that English Court of Appeal decisions are not binding in The Netherlands.

Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
As pointed out by et, not sure you you surmised that EK would be bound in the Netherlands by a decision made by a court in the UK, they are different countries, despite both being in Europe and the EU (for now)
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
What do you think EK should have done? Let them wander around the airport all night?

They were 16 & 14, not 6 & 4...
I am not saying Emirates made a bad choice, but the choice they still made was illegal and against UAE law. They are still minors none the less. I would not of had a problem if my children were placed in a hotel in that situation, but i know some folks that would be less then impressed if they had not been informed.

Last edited by Flame3601; Apr 9, 2018 at 7:20 am
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Despite refused appeal, EK STILL won’t pay EU261 for missed connections

I know there are several threads but perhaps time to draw a line on those and start a new one for a new fight?

After EK was refused leave to appeal on the issue of missed connections in Dubai, we wrote to Emirates asking for the full €600 for a flight exCDG.

Their response, today, is that the refusal to appeal only applies to flights ex UK, and not to flights leaving anywhere else in Europe. They still do now owe compensation for missed connections resulting from departures anywhere else but the UK.

How best best to tackle this?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
you're quite right, this is the third thread in as many days, no need for another one, asking Mods to delete/merge.

the court ruling was in the UK, it has no bearing on other EU countries
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I only found one other thread, but that has now focused on whether EK should or shouldn’t have provided a hotel for teenagers.

EK refused the initial request for compensation as they said they would need to wait for the decision of the appeal in the UK. They said this knowing the flight in question was from Paris.

Now they have have been refused that appeal they are stating it only applies to the UK, no where else.

I have to say it is bad form that they would be willing to rely on the UK decision if it went their way, but as soon as it doesn’t they are changing their position.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just lodge a claim with MCOL and see whether it tries defending it

If it tries defending the claim, I cannot imagine that a judge will go along with Emirates
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:23 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Ha, send me a PM with them stating that it is ex UK. The agent I'm dealing with in AU on this exact issue would spit out his coffee! He is saying that it still doesn't apply.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:28 am
Original Poster

My question wasn't about whether they're bound by that decision (although it gives a strong indication of how a case in the NL might go) - and they're not arguing that they aren't bound by it anyway. The question is whether it's possible to find out the true reason for a delay.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Katamarino
My question wasn't about whether they're bound by that decision (although it gives a strong indication of how a case in the NL might go) - and they're not arguing that they aren't bound by it anyway. The question is whether it's possible to find out the true reason for a delay.
You would generaly have to have a court compel them.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by Flame3601
I am not saying Emirates made a bad choice, but the choice they still made was illegal and against UAE law. They are still minors none the less. I would not of had a problem if my children were placed in a hotel in that situation, but i know some folks that would be less then impressed if they had not been informed.
I'm quite late on this, but just out of curiosity what is the standard procedure in these cases? If they are under 12 they are unaccompanied minors and Emirates has an extra duty of care with them (at a premium cost) to have a personal handler from security to reception, but in these cases they are over 12.. I get the UAE hotel laws but wonder what the standard operating procedure should be.

Also, are there any similar laws to EC261 around the world? Though doubt any are as generous EX-UAE and India ones would be great. Been delayed for 18-24 hours on Air India Express twice out of Abu Dhabi. (Yes, I know.. Air India Express.. But sometimes there is no other option, as it's just them or Etihad between AUH and India).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.