Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates employees pouring champagne from used glasses back into bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates employees pouring champagne from used glasses back into bottles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by ft101
If it's going down the toilet, does it make any difference whether at altitude or on the ground?
Maybe that poster pours liquids into the trash compactor
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
I personally don't mind this, but to everyone's point about it being dumped out later, the EK crews are pretty liberal with dumping out champagne that isn't perfectly fizzy so I'm guessing this was just one person with a "never waste anything" mindset.

I've often wondered what it would take to have a few cheap plastic champagne stoppers on board because they do have stoppers for the still wines which they keep onboard at outstations instead of offloading them. If EK management is putting this kind of pressure on them they're doing it the wrong way - the $0.50 stoppers could preserve a bottle of dom or veuve during a turnaround and not cause the brand harm like this FA just did. Besides, wine open for a few hours tastes better anyway.

Last edited by Metanoia; Jul 14, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
I've often wondered what it would take to have a few cheap plastic champagne stoppers on board because they do have stoppers for the still wines which they keep onboard at outstations instead of offloading them. If EK management is putting this kind of pressure on them they're doing it the wrong way - the $0.50 stoppers could preserve a bottle of dom or veuve during a turnaround and not cause the brand harm like this FA just did. Besides, wine open for a few hours tastes better anyway.
Throwing things out is more about the import duty/tax issue, not a waste/hygiene issue.

Anything seen to be open on the ground may require duty paid/inspections.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Throwing things out is more about the import duty/tax issue, not a waste/hygiene issue.

Anything seen to be open on the ground may require duty paid/inspections.
They always seem to have partial bottles of the still wines when the bar opens. I don't remember if it's just ex-DXB but I've noticed partials for sure...

EDIT-- I think I implicitly answered my own question. The still wines aren't brought out until after takeoff, thus they're always duty free. I bet from a process perspective it would be hard to segregate the duty free vs duty paid sparkling because those are served on the ground and you'll always end up with MORE partials.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
From one perspective you can look at it like :

If Emirates can afford to buy nearly 100 A380's, then why does it need to recycle its Champagne?

But then I'm also inclined to believe, that this "could" be the standard practise in how to dispose of its unused champagne. Obviously, this is something that people don't want to see, cause everyone will assume that the bottle will be re-used again.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:21 pm

May be, it is a new social program to collect unused liquor and distribute to less fortunate in poor countries.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: EK Plat
Unless the crew member happened to be supremely conscious about the state of EK's finances or expressly instructed to do so, I find her actions rather odd.

I've asked a few crew about the incident and the general rumour is that the crew member has already been dismissed, perhaps unsurprisingly. And when asked if they would do the same, I was met with the reaction of "Do you think I care about saving champagne for Emirates?" by more than one person...

Last edited by Lkaroo; Jul 15, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:02 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Lkaroo
Unless the crew member happened to be supremely conscious about the state of EK's finances or expressly instructed to do so, I find the her actions rather odd.

I've asked a few crew about the incident and the general rumour is that the crew member has already been dismissed, perhaps unsurprisingly. And when asked if they would do the same, I was met with the reaction of "Do you think I care about saving champagne for Emirates?" by more than one person...
Sounds entirely believable & am not at all surprised at this
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I realise it's a welcome drink - but, why not ask each J or F passenger "what can I bring for you to drink?" first ...... before pouring it?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by safari_7
I realise it's a welcome drink - but, why not ask each J or F passenger "what can I bring for you to drink?" first ...... before pouring it?
That's how it is done in F, but, in J, it would take too long.

This said, putting wine back in the bottle is high treason. (I was in shock) You can't mix decanted wine with non-decanted wine.
As far as champagne is concerned, such manipulation agitates the liquid, thus, reduces the carbon-dioxide unnecessarily.

EK can dismiss this poor lady, but, EK should also revisit their wine training.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by ioto1902
That's how it is done in F, but, in J, it would take too long.

This said, putting wine back in the bottle is high treason. (I was in shock) You can't mix decanted wine with non-decanted wine.
As far as champagne is concerned, such manipulation agitates the liquid, thus, reduces the carbon-dioxide unnecessarily.

EK can dismiss this poor lady, but, EK should also revisit their wine training.
just get a Sodastream machine... some Sears store have the basic $79 model on clearance for just $9.99 right now.(I bought all 4 remaining at my local store) Just give it two pumps(before the 1st buzz sound) and it adds plenty of CO2 back in the flat champagne.... or turn regular white wine into fake champagne.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by WalterSFO
Just give it two pumps(before the 1st buzz sound) and it adds plenty of CO2 back in the flat champagne.... or turn regular white wine into fake champagne.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
I'm the only person in my family who drinks champagne, so I always end up with half of bottle of Dom... But with my Sodastream, I get to enjoy the other half bottle the next night....
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:56 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by WalterSFO
I'm the only person in my family who drinks champagne, so I always end up with half of bottle of Dom... But with my Sodastream, I get to enjoy the other half bottle the next night....
Dom + Sodastream? You should be arrested!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Dom + Sodastream? You should be arrested!
They are lucky capital punishment has been done away with in France.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.