FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Emirates employees pouring champagne from used glasses back into bottles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1853349-emirates-employees-pouring-champagne-used-glasses-back-into-bottles.html)

Ladyfromsky Jul 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Emirates employees pouring champagne from used glasses back into bottles

A Russian traveller - Evgeny Kayumov - claims that Emirates airline is pouring champagne from used glasses back into bottles. It can be seen in a video. http://360tv.ru/news/emirates-caught...mpagne-124864/

WalterSFO Jul 13, 2017 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ladyfromsky (Post 28552697)
A Russian traveller - Evgeny Kayumov - claims that Emirates airline is pouring champagne from used glasses back into bottles. It can be seen in a video. http://360tv.ru/news/emirates-caught...mpagne-124864/

It was just carried on the local CBS station....

I don't get what the big deal is... as long as the glass was never touched by the passenger's lips, it's should be fine to pour it back into the bottle. I do that sometimes, using the Sodastream bottle to add a little more air back into the champagne. (not too much because it will cause a messy explosion)

skywardhunter Jul 13, 2017 11:32 pm

I'm torn on this. I'm pretty certain it's poured but unused PDBs, not used glasses of champagne. Regardless it's a little tacky and desperate. I'm sure it's not official policy.

Sad to know that FA is probably already on a plane back to heir home country.

MUCDavid Jul 14, 2017 1:10 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 28558604)
I'm torn on this. I'm pretty certain it's poured but unused PDBs, not used glasses of champagne. Regardless it's a little tacky and desperate. I'm sure it's not official policy.

I am with you. It is obviously the welcome drink and as you can see the back of J is empty.

I am sure most know that Rose is served as a welcome drink from DXB, during the flight I regularly ask if they have any Rose left over and they normally do. I am not sure I want to know why it is left over.

NoY Jul 14, 2017 1:18 am

It gives a very bad impression indeed, regardless of the motivation of the employee, or instructions from management (should that be the case) Just wrong :td:

HKprince Jul 14, 2017 3:49 am

Originally Posted by MUCDavid (Post 28558769)
I am with you. It is obviously the welcome drink and as you can see the back of J is empty.

I am sure most know that Rose is served as a welcome drink from DXB, during the flight I regularly ask if they have any Rose left over and they normally do. I am not sure I want to know why it is left over.

The bottle in question in the video appears to be a VCP brut, not the rosé, so maybe it's a cost saving measure for later in the flight? Suddenly I'm glad that every time I have asked for the rosé they told me there is none left! ;)

Silverswimmer Jul 14, 2017 4:01 am

http://livefromalounge.boardingarea....474.1480462469
was
Posted on Tripadvisor-Air Travel
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo...ir_Travel.html
and has an FA respond
"Hey- I’m a flight attendant ..... I bet they’re pouring it all back in the bottle so they can then pour it out at cruising instead of dumping it all in the trash can making it all soggy before takeoff… I could be wrong but realistically that’s probably what’s going on."
SS

daisymay2 Jul 14, 2017 4:20 am

Oh dear -not good news!

pdh Jul 14, 2017 5:31 am

Non-used glasses or not, it should happen in any industry

eternaltransit Jul 14, 2017 5:39 am

Originally Posted by pdh (Post 28559234)
Non-used glasses or not, it should happen in any industry

For high volume drinks products, I guarantee you it happens all the time, in every level of hospitality business - mistake pours into containers with no contamination are just going to straight back into the bottle.

In any case, at the end of the flight it's all going down the toilet anyway.

The only problem here is that a passenger saw it.

HelloKittysMum Jul 14, 2017 5:45 am

This sort of thing (and worse) has been going on in hospitality for years. A friend of my father did his national service in Egypt in the 50s and was assigned to the Officers' mess. He used to tell the stories of how they would pour the dregs of gin and tonic left behind into one glass and eventually have enough to make a full drink they could give to an officer and then take his drink for themselves.

It is clear this is unused drinks - surely the crew know approximately how many business class passengers there are and so can try not to significantly over cater.

MSPeconomist Jul 14, 2017 5:47 am

Pouring it back into the bottle isn't good for the quality of quantity of bubbles, even if it hasn't been exposed to someone's germs.

WalterSFO Jul 14, 2017 5:49 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 28559256)
For high volume drinks products, I guarantee you it happens all the time, in every level of hospitality business - mistake pours into containers with no contamination are just going to straight back into the bottle.

In any case, at the end of the flight it's all going down the toilet anyway.

The only problem here is that a passenger saw it.

It even happens are fancy bars in hotels. Well, I've only seen it in person at the Grand Hyatt T______ a few years ago. I was chatting with a hooker at the bar(sorry, a sex worker) to amuse myself. The bartender was at the far end and was busy pouring Absolut back into the bottle. I told him "isn't that against health code or something?" and he just said "oh, no, I'm not allowed to dump them into the sink..." (what a bunch of BS, because I later I saw him flip the bottle upside down into the dispenser)

eternaltransit Jul 14, 2017 5:55 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28559282)
Pouring it back into the bottle isn't good for the quality of quantity of bubbles, even if it hasn't been exposed to someone's germs.

Quality of bubbles is much more to do with deliberate imperfections micro-etched into the surface of glassware, rather than gas content.

Quantity of course is a different matter - an open bottle is worse because the surface area in contact with air is wider in the middle of the bottle than with the flute due to the flute being tall and thin, and the surface area in contact with air is the critical factor more than glass imperfections causing pearling and CO2 to come out of solution.

If EK served in coupes that would be a different matter.

ft101 Jul 14, 2017 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Silverswimmer (Post 28559056)
and has an FA respond
"Hey- I’m a flight attendant ..... I bet they’re pouring it all back in the bottle so they can then pour it out at cruising instead of dumping it all in the trash can making it all soggy before takeoff… I could be wrong but realistically that’s probably what’s going on."
SS

If it's going down the toilet, does it make any difference whether at altitude or on the ground?