OnAir not really working

Old May 28, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Hm I never really have serious issues, except recently it not being available at all until quite late into one flight (777), but when available works quite well, use it on my laptop, too, occasionally. On a quite empty 777 flight a year or two ago I even managed a video skype call with no issues.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: Emirates Gold
If you pay beyond the free allowance given, does it get any faster ?
Old May 28, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by chelseastu
If you pay beyond the free allowance given, does it get any faster ?
Not really. Very slow DXB-LGW, not so bad LHR-DXB a couple of weeks ago.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:23 am

Ok. That's good to know, I wondered whether it was a ploy to get people to pay for it.

Maybe it should be accessed by Biz and F only though how you implement that, I've no idea.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Hm I never really have serious issues, except recently it not being available at all until quite late into one flight (777), but when available works quite well, use it on my laptop, too, occasionally. On a quite empty 777 flight a year or two ago I even managed a video skype call with no issues.
That has been my experience until these last trips, then it just went to Hell.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:52 am

Ok. That's good to know, I wondered whether it was a ploy to get people to pay for it.

Maybe it should be accessed by Biz and F only though how you implement that, I've no idea.
What a bizarre suggestion. I travel mostly in Y and the Wifi is a vital lifeline to the outside world for me on ULH flights when I need to be in touch with my employees, regardless of me being in Y
Old May 28, 2017, 8:36 am

I understand but if the issues are due to bandwidth then wouldn't it make sense to offer if to those in premium seats until such time they can get an improved system in place whereby everyone can take advantage of it?

Those in Y pay to get from A to B. Those in J/F pay for the extra comforts and premium services at a substantial markup I might add.

Maybe not a popular move but just an idea.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:27 am

I understand but if the issues are due to bandwidth then wouldn't it make sense to offer if to those in premium seats until such time they can get an improved system in place whereby everyone can take advantage of it?

Those in Y pay to get from A to B. Those in J/F pay for the extra comforts and premium services at a substantial markup I might add.

Maybe not a popular move but just an idea.
It'd make more sense to increase the pricing, so those in Y who have work to do aren't disadvantaged by those in J streaming Netflix, especially the rich brats travelling with their parents.

Legally all pax are paying to get from A to B, some pay for extra comforts. Those in Y may be choosing EK for the WiFi and free alcohol and food, etc. Not all Y pax are purely price sensitive, or I'd be flying Ethiopian long ago the way EK prices are going.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: Emirates Platinum
I fly 77Ws more than 338s, and if it's better there.

I genrrally dont attempt to connect for the first two hours. I always thought $1 was a nominal fee many people would pay but I find that it improves a lot after that. Doing that the last few months has helped a lot.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:39 am

I think charging 1$/HR might be a fair method as one can use it briefly to update friends and family but for business travellers who need it for a few hours they'd be happy to pay presumably. I'd probably happily pay 10$ per flight for WiFi access
Old May 28, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
It'd make more sense to increase the pricing, so those in Y who have work to do aren't disadvantaged by those in J streaming Netflix, especially the rich brats travelling with their parents.

Legally all pax are paying to get from A to B, some pay for extra comforts. Those in Y may be choosing EK for the WiFi and free alcohol and food, etc. Not all Y pax are purely price sensitive, or I'd be flying Ethiopian long ago the way EK prices are going.
Fair point.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: MM, EK, AB/EY, HH, SPG, etc.
Originally Posted by m3red
You ask for a refund for $1 that goes to charity?
My understanding is that was only introduced for a limited time in 2014 and ended again in 2015.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Wtravel
My understanding is that was only introduced for a limited time in 2014 and ended again in 2015.
I still pay $1 think it's limited to 500mb
Old May 29, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: MM, EK, AB/EY, HH, SPG, etc.
Originally Posted by m3red
I still pay $1 think it's limited to 500mb
I meant the bit about the proceeds going to the Emirates Airline Foundation as charity...
Old May 29, 2017, 5:10 am

FYI, the kit / service is provided by two different companies. AeroMobile for 777s and OnAir for the A380s (although for the WiFi splash screen, it will always shows as OnAir) and it's only the 777s where you can watch live TV as they have greater bandwidth. I've also heard that the free service is likely to be withdrawn at some stage

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.