Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates need a dress code for passengers!

Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue

The general standards of passengers (in Economy mainly) on board Emirates flights has gradually been getting lower over the years. I think this is mainly due to cheaper tickets and an abundance of LHR-DXB flights every day.

In combination with the more 'chavvy' element on board, the sense of dress code is lacking too. There really is no need to wear a gym mesh singlet and running shorts on board an aircraft.

Emirates really should enforce a stricter dress code so that passengers are wearing more appropriate clothing on their aircraft. It doesn't take much effort to dress more respectfully in the company of 500 or so people.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:07 am

As a transport provider aimed at the general public, I doubt that EK will be willing to go through the hassle of implementing a dress code for any class, let alone Economy, but perhaps you might like to try telling the relevant passengers yourself what you think of their state of dress? Do also let us know their replies
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
I think any argument for decency in dress code falls apart when you get to ULH flights in Y. How others are dressed will always take a back seat to the other challenges.

Traveling for 24+ hours without sleeping in a proper bed and being crammed into Y cabins like sardines is the real issue. Essentially sharing a metal tube of a bedroom with 100s of pax is never going to be pretty no matter how they're dressed.

I think the key for comfortable Y travel is to avoid ULH flights and red eye flights. Book layovers with time enough to sleep a full night. Being rested, it might be easier to avoid getting annoyed at fellow travelers' apparel .
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by rumbataz
The general standards of passengers (in Economy mainly) on board Emirates flights has gradually been getting lower over the years. I think this is mainly due to cheaper tickets and an abundance of LHR-DXB flights every day.

In combination with the more 'chavvy' element on board, the sense of dress code is lacking too. There really is no need to wear a gym mesh singlet and running shorts on board an aircraft.

Emirates really should enforce a stricter dress code so that passengers are wearing more appropriate clothing on their aircraft. It doesn't take much effort to dress more respectfully in the company of 500 or so people.
If airline passenger dressing standards are important to you, you are in for a bleak future...
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I always find your posts quite humorous.

Dress the way you like; others will do the same. As long as all important parts are covered, it's no one else's business.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: Various
I'm sure there's another forum somewhere where people are complaining about people wearing club blazers onboard.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

I must admit that this becomes obvious for me when I fly from Gatwick instead of LHR (even 'worse' from Stansted). Combined with a much longer queue at security as still 90% of Ryanair travellers never heard of a liquids ban

I avoid this by flying from Heathrow and booking myself into J when flying EK (but not from LHR to DXB as I don't see the need to spend 2k more for a 6hrs flight).

Daniel
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:05 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The OP wants to ban alcohol on board, and also dictate what people should wear...

This is me on my next flight :-

Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:32 am

What has been seen cannot be unseen...

Any insiders to make sure this can actually happen?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:55 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
The solution is clear, OP. Book First and look not upon the plebeians from within your gilded suite.

Can't book First? Then maybe you belong with the mesh-wearing plebeians
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:01 am

You're getting on a bus with wings which gives away "free" alcohol. It's going to be pretty full with strangers from different backgrounds and having different norms to you. If you don't like it, then don't go.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Well, you did ask that passengers stop wearing fake Ralph Lauren gear

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...k-economy.html

Maybe you should write to EK with a specific list of what's acceptable. Or, you know, live and let live. One of the two
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks to the new "trending" section I stumbled across this thread... I hope this is tongue in cheek.... as I would rather sit next to someone in mesh anyday than someone who is needing a wash or a bit of extra deodorant !
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Most of my threads are tongue-in-cheek.

I think my previous observation about males wearing Polo by Ralph Lauren polo shirts must have affected EK's male passengers who have now resorted to wearing as little as possible.

Considering that many of the males I saw yesterday were obese, extremely unhealthy, pot-bellied and reeked of alcohol, seeing a few dressed in gym attire was a particularly nauseating sight.

One attempted a couple of stretching exercises beside my seat. After about 0.7 seconds of 'exercises' I thought he was going to keel over and the thought of performing mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, learned from my first-aid training, on him almost caused me to violently eject my partially digested Emirates meal.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The OP wants to ban alcohol on board, and also dictate what people should wear...

This is me on my next flight :-

Did you not get banned by Emirates the last time you went on board wearing that quite fetching mankini?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.