Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disruptive (drunk) passenger in F

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Why is it that half of (reported) alcohol-related air rage events involve someone from the British Isles, one third someone from Russia?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: EK Gold
Severe punishment? Seven months in prison haha give me a break, he'll do two and be out. What on earth is severe about that?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by RichL
Severe punishment? Seven months in prison haha give me a break, he'll do two and be out. What on earth is severe about that?
I don't know anything about him, but 2 months in the slammer would probably see him lose his job. So, hopefully it will be more that just the prison sentence.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:07 am

Interesting :-

"Mir, already had a marker against him when he was abusive to stewards on an earlier flight."
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Why is it that half of (reported) alcohol-related air rage events involve someone from the British Isles, one third someone from Russia?
Could be that we're a nation of drunken thugs. Could be that air rage and sexual assault are so far outside British societal acceptability that every incident gets reported in the media and punished in the courts. Could be a mix of both.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
What on earth is severe about that?
Even short periods of jail time can have consequences for life. Think of all the jobs for which you need a clean criminal record (granted this chap didn't have a clean record to start with, but it just adds on). Then there's obviously the possibility of losing any current employment.

I'm going with the obvious answer here: The Brits (and the Russians) like their booze. Having seen how Brits behave in pubs after work and during holidays in Spain, Turkey, Thailand, Indonesia, etc..., it wouldn't surprise me that you'll find drunk Brits on a flight from/to the UK.

The majority of Brits certainly doesn't have a problem with booze, but as always it's the misbehaving minority that is setting the prejudices of a nation abroad. I've had a couple of totally wasted Brits on flights (In F,C,Y and irrespective of flight time and destination). In some cases these passengers could barely stand.

Somewhat sad to see people being consumed by alcohol. Other nations have the problem too, but subjectively I have the feeling that drunk Brits seem to be more frequent than drunks of other nations.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
This isn't limited to "air" rage. Just roam some clubs in Dubai ... (personal experience )
Anyway, very sad that the behavior of some stains a nation's image.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:59 am

Good post WorldLux.

Going a bit off-topic, but there's a story I like to tell regarding boozing at football matches.

In 2003, the Champions League final was held in Manchester between Juventus and Milan. Me and a friend got some last minute returned tickets, so we went to the pub we normally go to before games, just near the stadium.

The pub had put up a big tent, and had employed lots of extra staff to sell cans of Stella Artois, Boddingtons, Stringbow etc. for £2 a can. The beer was piled up everywhere - as if it was a game between Man Utd and Liverpool.

Of course, the one thing the pub didn't have was a coffee machine. The Italians started to arrive a few hours before the game, and only wanted coffee. When they found none available, they left.

It was a great day for me and my buddy, as we didn't have to queue once. The pub had to get a van to remove some of the beer - as they didn't have enough space to store it all. I reckon they sold 50 cans all day/night.

Good job we forced a few down - as it was a dreadful game
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Criminal record. He'll need to declare this on future visa applications so it may cause him some issues with travel. If an employer carries out a basic CRB check, it'll show up. Lots of implications!
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fifty previous convictions and he gets seven months?
I guess the "boys will be boys" theory of jurisprudence had gained traction in some courts.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by extramileage
Can we talk about the "mask"???? Is that next to the on-board cutlery?
It's to deal with spitting.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Criminal record. He'll need to declare this on future visa applications so it may cause him some issues with travel. If an employer carries out a basic CRB check, it'll show up. Lots of implications!
As he already has 50 previous convictions, one more is not going to make much difference.

The best thing that could happen to him is that EK bans him from future travel and circulates his details to other airlines, who hopefully will follow suite.

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Somewhat sad to see people being consumed by alcohol. Other nations have the problem too, but subjectively I have the feeling that drunk Brits seem to be more frequent than drunks of other nations.
In this particular case, I wonder if Mr Khalid Mira a Brit? He may live in Saltley, Birmingham, but if you Google the origin of his surname and family names you may get a surprise.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by Oldtiger
.. In this particular case, I wonder if Mr Khalid Mira a Brit? He may live in Saltley, Birmingham, but if you Google the origin of his surname and family names you may get a surprise.

British empire is previous century.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902

British empire is previous century.
Pfft, everyone in Britain knows that name is the sole indicator of nationality no matter what their documents say and where they live.

It's obvious that the Saxe-Coburg and Gothas aren't true Brits, unlike say, a Windsor.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Pfft, everyone in Britain knows that name is the sole indicator of nationality no matter what their documents say and where they live.

It's obvious that the Saxe-Coburg and Gothas aren't true Brits, unlike say, a Windsor.
Who are German

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.