• Raw Vegetable Meal
  • Vegetarian Oriental Meal {Breakfast}
Print Wikipost

The Emirates 2017 SPML challenge

Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
The Emirates 2017 SPML challenge

eternaltransit has stated he would be trying every SPML on EK this year and I think that's an awesome idea and way of spicing things up. I thought why not make it a challenge, for those of us travelling in Y with nothing better to eat anyway. I'm sure m3red will be happy with his regular choices in F.

I'm going to start with the Vegetarian Oriental Meal next Monday morning on HYD-DXB, I haven't decided what to order yet for the DXB-CPT sector, I'm torn between the low-calorie option, the bland meal ("boiled meat") part doesn't sounds appetising, stock-standard lacto-ovo (used to be vegetarian and spent years eating these so...)... really quite a few options.

We can keep track in this thread of all the SPMLs tried and what they contain and how we'd rate them, I could see some being legitimate alternatives to the regular menu (Oriental veg? Yes please!). No seafood anymore as we know, which I don't mind, to be honest.

Perhaps we can also tally up the total SPMLs tried for each type! Thoughts? Anyone else going to participate? What do we give the winner (first to try all).
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
While I think it's a great idea I won't be participating as I believe the general view that you don't get opupped if you have a special meal booked (and I am sure four of us wouldn't have got a y to j opup BKK to DXB this summer if I hasnt cancelled my daughter's vegetarian meal) and while I'd quite like to try the various meals I'd prefer an opup.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
While I think it's a great idea I won't be participating as I believe the general view that you don't get opupped if you have a special meal booked (and I am sure four of us wouldn't have got a y to j opup BKK to DXB this summer if I hasnt cancelled my daughter's vegetarian meal) and while I'd quite like to try the various meals I'd prefer an opup.
Hm that is a good point, which is now making me reconsider HYD-DXB because the flight does seem overbooked and I am actually expecting an op-up (Y0, J7+) on a Flex ticket... but I've never thought that the myth about SPML and op-ups holds much water. Perhaps eternal can assist to clarify?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Hm that is a good point, which is now making me reconsider HYD-DXB because the flight does seem overbooked and I am actually expecting an op-up (Y0, J7+) on a Flex ticket... but I've never thought that the myth about SPML and op-ups holds much water. Perhaps eternal can assist to clarify?
Controller won't care - there's a note on the manifest if you have a SPML and get an op-up that the meal is still in Y (or J) carts.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
I have lacto ovo meals and up to recently had quite a number of op ups so I think that's a fallacy.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: Skywards
BBML and CHML are reserved for eternaltransit
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:17 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

AB44 is not mentioned?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
AB44 is not mentioned?
He's flying Qatar
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Controller won't care - there's a note on the manifest if you have a SPML and get an op-up that the meal is still in Y (or J) carts.
^ I'm going to risk it. Maybe at check-in I'll drop a hint that I don't mind losing the SPML if they're oversold and need to move me around.

More importantly, when and with which meal are you starting?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Photos please!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:20 am

With flights already booked and planned, I could possibly have a go at achieving this. I can pretty much guarantee however, I will end the year on zero. The seafood one might have been the only one that tempted me and it's gone.

Baahh!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
With flights already booked and planned, I could possibly have a go at achieving this. I can pretty much guarantee however, I will end the year on zero. The seafood one might have been the only one that tempted me and it's gone.

Baahh!
It's not about being tempted, the Asian Oriental or Lacto-Ovo are the only ones I would actually consider instead of the standard meal. For now I've booked the Asian Oriental and the Non-Lactose for my 2 flights next week. I will try to get pics.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:59 am

^ I'm going to risk it. Maybe at check-in I'll drop a hint that I don't mind losing the SPML if they're oversold and need to move me around.

More importantly, when and with which meal are you starting?
Couple of weeks time - I'm just going down the list in alphabetical order.

I might wait until going in F to order the BBML or CHML though
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Couple of weeks time - I'm just going down the list in alphabetical order.

I might wait until going in F to order the BBML or CHML though
Alphabetical order makes sense. I'm starting with least objectionable and then keeping something decent as last one as well (ovo-lacto probably). Should also be a nice conversation starter with the crew in rear galley
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:18 am

Alphabetical order makes sense. I'm starting with least objectionable and then keeping something decent as last one as well (ovo-lacto probably). Should also be a nice conversation starter with the crew in rear galley
I'm going to pretend that the BBML is a prank played on me by ground staff...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.