FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   The Emirates 2017 SPML challenge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1813555-emirates-2017-spml-challenge.html)

skywardhunter Jan 7, 2017 11:22 am

The Emirates 2017 SPML challenge

eternaltransit has stated he would be trying every SPML on EK this year and I think that's an awesome idea and way of spicing things up. I thought why not make it a challenge, for those of us travelling in Y with nothing better to eat anyway. I'm sure m3red will be happy with his regular choices in F.

I'm going to start with the Vegetarian Oriental Meal next Monday morning on HYD-DXB, I haven't decided what to order yet for the DXB-CPT sector, I'm torn between the low-calorie option, the bland meal ("boiled meat") part doesn't sounds appetising, stock-standard lacto-ovo (used to be vegetarian and spent years eating these so...)... really quite a few options.

We can keep track in this thread of all the SPMLs tried and what they contain and how we'd rate them, I could see some being legitimate alternatives to the regular menu (Oriental veg? Yes please!). No seafood anymore as we know, which I don't mind, to be honest.

Perhaps we can also tally up the total SPMLs tried for each type! Thoughts? Anyone else going to participate? What do we give the winner (first to try all).

HelloKittysMum Jan 7, 2017 11:28 am

While I think it's a great idea I won't be participating as I believe the general view that you don't get opupped if you have a special meal booked (and I am sure four of us wouldn't have got a y to j opup BKK to DXB this summer if I hasnt cancelled my daughter's vegetarian meal) and while I'd quite like to try the various meals I'd prefer an opup;).

skywardhunter Jan 7, 2017 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum (Post 27721291)
While I think it's a great idea I won't be participating as I believe the general view that you don't get opupped if you have a special meal booked (and I am sure four of us wouldn't have got a y to j opup BKK to DXB this summer if I hasnt cancelled my daughter's vegetarian meal) and while I'd quite like to try the various meals I'd prefer an opup;).

Hm that is a good point, which is now making me reconsider HYD-DXB because the flight does seem overbooked and I am actually expecting an op-up (Y0, J7+) on a Flex ticket... but I've never thought that the myth about SPML and op-ups holds much water. Perhaps eternal can assist to clarify?

eternaltransit Jan 7, 2017 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 27721468)
Hm that is a good point, which is now making me reconsider HYD-DXB because the flight does seem overbooked and I am actually expecting an op-up (Y0, J7+) on a Flex ticket... but I've never thought that the myth about SPML and op-ups holds much water. Perhaps eternal can assist to clarify?

Controller won't care - there's a note on the manifest if you have a SPML and get an op-up that the meal is still in Y (or J) carts.

daisymay2 Jan 7, 2017 1:41 pm

I have lacto ovo meals and up to recently had quite a number of op ups so I think that's a fallacy.

kuroko Jan 7, 2017 3:58 pm

BBML and CHML are reserved for eternaltransit :D :cool:

DYKWIA Jan 7, 2017 4:17 pm

AB44 is not mentioned?

skywardhunter Jan 7, 2017 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 27722492)
AB44 is not mentioned?

He's flying Qatar

skywardhunter Jan 7, 2017 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 27721656)
Controller won't care - there's a note on the manifest if you have a SPML and get an op-up that the meal is still in Y (or J) carts.

^ I'm going to risk it. Maybe at check-in I'll drop a hint that I don't mind losing the SPML if they're oversold and need to move me around.

More importantly, when and with which meal are you starting?

extramileage Jan 7, 2017 11:07 pm

Photos please!

ft101 Jan 8, 2017 12:20 am

With flights already booked and planned, I could possibly have a go at achieving this. I can pretty much guarantee however, I will end the year on zero. The seafood one might have been the only one that tempted me and it's gone.

Baahh!

skywardhunter Jan 8, 2017 12:26 am

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 27723844)
With flights already booked and planned, I could possibly have a go at achieving this. I can pretty much guarantee however, I will end the year on zero. The seafood one might have been the only one that tempted me and it's gone.

Baahh!

It's not about being tempted, the Asian Oriental or Lacto-Ovo are the only ones I would actually consider instead of the standard meal. For now I've booked the Asian Oriental and the Non-Lactose for my 2 flights next week. I will try to get pics.

eternaltransit Jan 8, 2017 2:59 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 27723010)
^ I'm going to risk it. Maybe at check-in I'll drop a hint that I don't mind losing the SPML if they're oversold and need to move me around.

More importantly, when and with which meal are you starting?

Couple of weeks time - I'm just going down the list in alphabetical order.

I might wait until going in F to order the BBML or CHML though :D

skywardhunter Jan 8, 2017 3:36 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 27724111)

Alphabetical order makes sense. I'm starting with least objectionable and then keeping something decent as last one as well (ovo-lacto probably). Should also be a nice conversation starter with the crew in rear galley :D

eternaltransit Jan 8, 2017 7:18 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 27724177)
Alphabetical order makes sense. I'm starting with least objectionable and then keeping something decent as last one as well (ovo-lacto probably). Should also be a nice conversation starter with the crew in rear galley :D

I'm going to pretend that the BBML is a prank played on me by ground staff...

skywardhunter Jan 8, 2017 7:37 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 27724723)
I'm going to pretend that the BBML is a prank played on me by ground staff...

How are you planning to order it? Call in? Been thinking about this one, figured calling in or Twitter might be able to get it on

eternaltransit Jan 8, 2017 7:39 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 27724792)
How are you planning to order it? Call in? Been thinking about this one, figured calling in or Twitter might be able to get it on

I'm going to ask someone to talk to catering for me ;)

They will be happy to embarrass me on board, so there will be no problems!

skywardhunter Jan 15, 2017 5:45 pm

https://s24.postimg.cc/4sbsa3vmd/IM...116_060154.jpgLive from EK525 the Vegetarian Oriental Meal .

​​​​​​It's the breakfast and totally inedible. And this was the most appealing of the SPMLs so starting to question how smart this idea was :D

daisymay2 Jan 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 27766724)
https://s24.postimg.cc/4sbsa3vmd/IM...116_060154.jpgLive from EK525 the Vegetarian Oriental Meal .

​​​​​​It's the breakfast and totally inedible. And this was the most appealing of the SPMLs so starting to question how smart this idea was :D

What is it exactly? :confused:

I order lacto ovo and always regret it as get things like spicey beans and I'm not one for spicey food. Never just pasta and they never give cheese or eggs in economy, so the term lacto ovo is a misnomer. In business I opt for the normal meal if the lacto ovo meal is yuk which it usually is.

skywardhunter Jan 15, 2017 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by daisymay2 (Post 27766812)
What is it exactly? :confused:

I order lacto ovo and always regret it as get things like spicey beans and I'm not one for spicey food. Never just pasta and they never give cheese or eggs in economy, so the term lacto ovo is a misnomer. In business I opt for the normal meal if the lacto ovo meal is yuk which it usually is.

I have no idea. It seems to be like a maize kind of thing. Absolutely flavourless.

Firemansam Jan 15, 2017 6:43 pm

The croissant looking thing looks tasty. That's about it.

daisymay2 Jan 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Ah that rings a bell! They've given that to me once or twice - absolutely horrid looking and totally inedible. :(

skywardhunter Jan 15, 2017 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Firemansam (Post 27766927)
The croissant looking thing looks tasty. That's about it.

It was delicious. And the half a pineapple ring.

Anyway, non-lactose meal coming up shortly if I make my connection in DXB (first flight delayed)

extramileage Jan 16, 2017 4:32 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 27724111)

The CHML in J... is simply the CHML on J plating.

Having eaten a fair amount of CHML leftovers... they are actually not bad (lots of pasta, chicken fingers, things like that, sometimes even french fries).

(Received an extensive survey on child meals from EK a few months ago, actually)

daisymay2 Jan 16, 2017 10:21 am

So can adults order child meals? I might give it a go if you might get chips :)

skywardhunter Jan 16, 2017 12:04 pm

Aaaand the non-lactose SPML. Actually not that bad an option, it's pretty normal food just without lactose (having butter instead of margerine would've made the bread much nicer but kind of obvious that a non-lactose meal wouldn't have butter).

Breakfast
https://s30.postimg.cc/al283pngh/IM...116_100647.jpg

Lunch
https://s29.postimg.cc/fpj7xfgev/IM...116_151705.jpg

GoldenCat_EK Jan 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Hello skywardhunter in seat 27K! :)

skywardhunter Jan 16, 2017 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by GoldenCat_EK (Post 27770599)
Hello skywardhunter in seat 27K! :)

Thanks for the pointer...been a long day, should've looked closer, didn't even see my name there during the flight :D

chris19992 Jan 17, 2017 4:36 am

I'm almost afraid to ask what the lunch is, the white thing looks like a chunk of plastic but that's probably just the photo

skywardhunter Jan 17, 2017 5:01 am

Originally Posted by chris19992 (Post 27774227)
I'm almost afraid to ask what the lunch is, the white thing looks like a chunk of plastic but that's probably just the photo

No it does look like plastic. I wasn't able to figure out if it was chicken or fish (I suspect the latter) and ended up not eating it. The tomato sauce was delicious though.

pokeable Jan 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 27766826)
I have no idea. It seems to be like a maize kind of thing. Absolutely flavourless.

Tears are coming out of my eyes, this is an excellent post.

I would guess that breakfast creation is congee (Asian rice porridge).

eternaltransit Jan 18, 2017 8:31 pm

I have to admit that I have been weak/jaded/spoiled - I was going to have 4 SPMLs to report this week but my trip turned into a 72hr ULH - and I decided to avoid Y for that because there's another LH next week...

I did discover new EK IT issues - if you book a SPML, then upgrade online for cash, the SPML disappears from online booking. However the SPML choice still remains in the internal airport DCS and gets copied for both sectors if you transit (it appears on the check in screen) - but it doesn't appear on board!

My next trip is not on EK so SPML will resume in Feb...

I also have it on good authority that an unexpected BBML will appear on one of my flights.......:eek:

ukdoctor Jan 20, 2017 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 27784844)
I have to admit that I have been weak/jaded/spoiled - I was going to have 4 SPMLs to report this week but my trip turned into a 72hr ULH - and I decided to avoid Y for that because there's another LH next week...

I did discover new EK IT issues - if you book a SPML, then upgrade online for cash, the SPML disappears from online booking. However the SPML choice still remains in the internal airport DCS and gets copied for both sectors if you transit (it appears on the check in screen) - but it doesn't appear on board!

My next trip is not on EK so SPML will resume in Feb...

I also have it on good authority that an unexpected BBML will appear on one of my flights.......:eek:

What exactly is a BBML ?. Is that a Baby meal ?

Descending Jan 20, 2017 8:24 pm

A BBML is not a proper meal as such. Its simply jars of pureed baby food kept in the galley and served on request, not at the structured meal times. If you have a BBML request you will be served a choice from the regular menu just like the parent of a baby would.

skywardhunter Feb 21, 2017 6:33 am

The Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian Breakfast on EK772 recently:

https://s11.postimg.cc/pito5ucjn/IM...4_110427_1.jpg

Pretty good!

EDIT: Updated the wiki with links to the meals posted, this could end up being a useful catalogue of the individual SPML options for future reference! @eternal, still waiting for your promised participation :D

UPDATE: Here's another from EK770 today:

https://s11.postimg.cc/5f8j979fn/IM...314_101524.jpg

vytas315 Feb 21, 2017 6:36 am

That's looks great! Might have to try it myself!

eternaltransit Feb 21, 2017 6:44 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 27937751)
The Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian Breakfast on EK772 recently:

https://s11.postimg.cc/pito5ucjn/IM...4_110427_1.jpg

Pretty good!

EDIT: Updated the wiki with links to the meals posted, this could end up being a useful catalogue of the individual SPML options for future reference! @eternal, still waiting for your promised participation :D

I've managed to avoid EK Y so far this year :D

As much as I love you all, I don't love you that much to willingly subject myself to Y when I don't absolutely need to :D

skywardhunter Feb 21, 2017 7:05 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 27937789)
I've managed to avoid EK Y so far this year :D

As much as I love you all, I don't love you that much to willingly subject myself to Y when I don't absolutely need to :D

They have SPMLs in F !

eternaltransit Feb 21, 2017 7:27 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 27937855)
They have SPMLs in F !

touché - although I have been on some other carriers recently!

kuroko Feb 21, 2017 9:29 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 27937932)
touché - although I have been on some other carriers recently!

BBML in F please :D