Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate Emirates Baggage Guide Thread FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ultimate Emirates Baggage Guide Thread FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2022, 4:46 am

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
I accept the risk and I know that if I am really concerned, I should just keep it under the limit. But I'm trying to understand what the most likely scenario is so that I can assess the risk accordingly.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 4:58 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by yonajon
Curious if anyone has recent experience with carry-on weight limit enforcement. I'm flying TLV-DXB-HAN and back in Business and prefer not to check my carry-on. However, it's usually 10-12kg. Will they weigh it at the gate? I can avoid the check-in desk since I will do online check-in. But would hate to have it checked at the gate.
I also never had it weighed (flying into and out of Africa and Europe).
Anecdotally it varies with the destination when departing DXB. I have heard that flights to destinations on the Indian subcontinent are more often checked than others (presumably based on experience with heavy carry on in the past).
Is it all in one piece of hand luggage? In J you are allowed 2 pieces of up to 7 Kgs each so if your 10-12 Kgs is in one piece you could split it?
yonajon likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
Thanks, it is reassuring to know that weighing carryons at the gate is not common.

I presume it is common to weight carryons at the check-in desks? Is that right?

If so, it would really come down to whether or not I'm able to perform online checkin. Sometimes flights to TLV cannot do online checkin due to the need to perform verbal security screening. Has anyone departed from HAN and had carryons weighed at the check in desks?

I have two pieces of hand luggage - a backpack and a standard sized roller board. The 7kg limitation in J is a bit nuts for me. I'm used to flying Israeli and European carriers who routinely allow 12-16kg in business and US carriers who don't even have a limit.

Thanks for the assistance!
Old Nov 30, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by yonajon
Thanks, it is reassuring to know that weighing carryons at the gate is not common.

I presume it is common to weight carryons at the check-in desks? Is that right?

If so, it would really come down to whether or not I'm able to perform online checkin. Sometimes flights to TLV cannot do online checkin due to the need to perform verbal security screening. Has anyone departed from HAN and had carryons weighed at the check in desks?

I have two pieces of hand luggage - a backpack and a standard sized roller board. The 7kg limitation in J is a bit nuts for me. I'm used to flying Israeli and European carriers who routinely allow 12-16kg in business and US carriers who don't even have a limit.

Thanks for the assistance!
In my experience, at check-in counters for F and J they usually just eyeball the hand luggage, and it’s usually for pieces not weight. I almost always fly HBO, with three pieces, in the 10-12kgs range, and can only recall once being made to check-in a bag over hundreds of sectors.

Every time I have been asked a question about my hang baggage, it’s been at outstations in West and East Africa. Haven’t done TLV with EK before, but I think you should be fine.

As DYKWIA said, if it worries you, probably best to just check in the bags.
yonajon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.