Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate Emirates Baggage Guide Thread FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ultimate Emirates Baggage Guide Thread FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
I have a Y ticket with 30KG. I will most probably need more baggage. I wanted to buy extra baggage on EK website but have the following 2 problems:
1. An additional 5KG is priced at $25 per KG and $125 in total. This is the same price advertised on EK website for buying baggage at the airport. Buying online should give a 50% discount, i. e., $12.5 per KG and $67.5. What am I missing?
2. On the return, I have one flight with FZ and therefore I cannot buy extra baggage for the return on the website. Any way I can overcome and still get a discount?

In addition, some carriers give 10% grace for baggage. (So 30KG limit becomes 33KG limit). Does EK have some kind of grace too?
​​​​​​​
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by flyerby
I have a Y ticket with 30KG. I will most probably need more baggage. I wanted to buy extra baggage on EK website but have the following 2 problems:
1. An additional 5KG is priced at $25 per KG and $125 in total. This is the same price advertised on EK website for buying baggage at the airport. Buying online should give a 50% discount, i. e., $12.5 per KG and $67.5. What am I missing?
2. On the return, I have one flight with FZ and therefore I cannot buy extra baggage for the return on the website. Any way I can overcome and still get a discount?

In addition, some carriers give 10% grace for baggage. (So 30KG limit becomes 33KG limit). Does EK have some kind of grace too?
It was half price to add baggage allowance via the call center than via the app or website.
I wonder how many people paid double because of EK's IT error?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:43 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
What is the shortest connection in Dubai that EK staff will allow a short check ?

I have an 8 hour connection in DXB and I live 12 mins away, is it possible to short check and drop off luggage before continuing my journey ?
Old Jul 24, 2022, 2:46 am

Programs: MarriottTitanium, LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond,IHG Diamond,Amb,Wyndham Diamond
Emirates is the worst when it comes to Baggage allowance. they will try to get $$$ out of you every chance they get. worst people in Dubai. Wife has Gold status, checked at the airport twice before Departing, Gold status have an extra 25kg allowance (Business Class).when we took the extra Baggage they changed their mind and we had to folk over $650.00 extra since it was a "Reward Flight" ...? Never take an ounce extra on Emirates, I was told they make Hundreds of millions of Dollars from Extra Baggage.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 3:20 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by TRANSWORLDMARINE
Emirates is the worst when it comes to Baggage allowance. they will try to get $$$ out of you every chance they get. worst people in Dubai. Wife has Gold status, checked at the airport twice before Departing, Gold status have an extra 25kg allowance (Business Class).when we took the extra Baggage they changed their mind and we had to folk over $650.00 extra since it was a "Reward Flight" ...? Never take an ounce extra on Emirates, I was told they make Hundreds of millions of Dollars from Extra Baggage.
Not sure what happened here, I am consistently over once a month and have never been charged extra. Were all the flights upgraded with miles or just one segment? If the whole flight isn’t upgraded then the luggage entitlement is the economy fare booking.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: MarriottTitanium, LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond,IHG Diamond,Amb,Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Will08
Not sure what happened here, I am consistently over once a month and have never been charged extra. Were all the flights upgraded with miles or just one segment? If the whole flight isn’t upgraded then the luggage entitlement is the economy fare booking.
Business Class Flight Direct from DXB to SFO. No Benefits if you are using Partner Awards, e.g. Alaska Airlines!
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, AA Platinum, United Silver
I want to be sure I am reading this right: I have never flown Emirates before, but we have flights from the US to Male (Maldives) through Dubai in a couple of weeks. Is it that we do not have allowance to bring more than one smaller bag on the airplane? I usually travel within the US, so I am used to being allowed to have a roller bag plus a personal bag that fits under the seat.

I know what I am reading, but I want to be sure I am right because we have two young kids and we want to take extra clothes, things to entertain them, etc. My son also has Type 1 diabetes and we need to travel with his extensive supplies and insulin. Do we get an allowance for that?

Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:19 pm

Get extra Baggage package. the prices online are much cheaper than what you will come across at the airport. Call Emirates, they will work with you, But make sure they note everything on your reservations.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, AA Platinum, United Silver
Thanks.

Also, do they weigh cabin baggage? I have a small rolling briefcase that weighs about 7 lbs. and an Apple laptop that alone weighs 7 or 8 pounds. Without any wires or headphones or anything, I’m at 15 pounds.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:22 pm

Business Class ? No Problem.
Economy should not be that big of a problem either as long as you are not going to India, Pakistan or Bangladesh. they are very strict on them.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by TRANSWORLDMARINE
Business Class ? No Problem.
Economy should not be that big of a problem either as long as you are not going to India, Pakistan or Bangladesh. they are very strict on them.
FWIW, I am going to the Maldives through Dubai.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:22 pm

One more question - do they account for wheels in the measurements of luggage?
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:05 pm

Many airlines do.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 1:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
Curious if anyone has recent experience with carry-on weight limit enforcement. I'm flying TLV-DXB-HAN and back in Business and prefer not to check my carry-on. However, it's usually 10-12kg. Will they weigh it at the gate? I can avoid the check-in desk since I will do online check-in. But would hate to have it checked at the gate.

Last edited by yonajon; Nov 30, 2022 at 2:22 am
Old Nov 30, 2022, 3:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by yonajon
Curious if anyone has recent experience with carry-on weight limit enforcement. I'm flying TLV-DXB-HAN and back in Business and prefer not to check my carry-on. However, it's usually 10-12kg. Will they weigh it at the gate? I can avoid the check-in desk since I will do online check-in. But would hate to have it checked at the gate.
I don't think I've ever had my carry-on weighed at the gate.

However... what would happen if they did? Would you be prepared to put your hand baggage in the hold? If not, then it's not something I'd risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.