Split seats Econ/Bus w kids

Old Aug 17, 16, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Split seats Econ/Bus w kids

Anyone have experience with splitting your family up between classes? I have 2 award tickets in J from Lax-Dxb. Thinking about bringing the kids (under 5) but would need to purchase econ tiks for them. Possible to bring them up to J? Or switch seats mid flight? Etc any other notes, tips, thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Aug 17, 16, 9:37 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
You could have 1 ADT + 1 CHD in J and the same in Y, you couldn't have them alone in Y. You can pay to upgrade of course or use miles if there is availability and you have sufficient miles.
Old Aug 17, 16, 10:51 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Please don't be that guy who brings "guests" (adult or child, same thing) into Business from Economy. Besides, LAX-DXB is likely to be an A380 so J and Y and are on different floors.

I have two young kids, so I feel for you. You have to either suck it up and fly Y with them or cough up the cash/miles to all fly in J. (Or split them trip: one way J and one way Y)
Old Aug 17, 16, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by extramileage View Post
Please don't be that guy who brings "guests" (adult or child, same thing) into Business from Economy. Besides, LAX-DXB is likely to be an A380 so J and Y and are on different floors.

I have two young kids, so I feel for you. You have to either suck it up and fly Y with them or cough up the cash/miles to all fly in J. (Or split them trip: one way J and one way Y)
This exactly.
Old Aug 17, 16, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by extramileage View Post

plus 1
Old Aug 18, 16, 5:38 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
If they were older teenagers it would be fine to leave them in Y (mine are 17 and 15 and I would consider it). But who seriously thinks that they can leave two under 5s in Y alone while they are in J or that they can effectively get a J seat for a child for a Y price?
Old Aug 21, 16, 7:35 am

Programs: SkyWards Ex Silver & BA
Book them in as unaccompanied minors ???

From my experience as a guy without kids, cabin crew do a better job at looking after kid than many parents.
Old Aug 22, 16, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Have you consulted with their mother about leaving them in Y alone for a flight of such alength? This is purely an academic question until you do; few women I know would go for this.
Old Aug 22, 16, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by itsj0nathan View Post
Anyone have experience with splitting your family up between classes? I have 2 award tickets in J from Lax-Dxb. Thinking about bringing the kids (under 5) but would need to purchase econ tiks for them. Possible to bring them up to J? Or switch seats mid flight? Etc any other notes, tips, thoughts would be appreciated.
Leave the kids with the grandparents!
Old Aug 23, 16, 8:55 am

Is OP traveling alone with 2 kids or are we talking about 2A+2C?
Old Aug 23, 16, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EK will not permit what OP wants to do. The children are too young for unaccompanied minor service and EK requires, as do most carriers, that children traveling in a separate cabin from the responsible adult be ticketed as unaccompanied minors.
Old Aug 23, 16, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Redhat72 View Post
Is OP traveling alone with 2 kids or are we talking about 2A+2C?
OP has two J award tickets, so I would assume it's two adults.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: