Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates and Guitars

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Emirates and Guitars

Hey everyone, I'll be flying with Emirates soon and I was wondering what you guys' experiences are with flying with a guitar. Ive always taken my guitar with me as a carry on + a carry on suitcase and I've never had any issues, they just put it in the closet. However, this was done in 'from-US flights' (United Airlines).

Has anyone flown to DXB (Dubai) with a guitar as carry on with Emirates?

Or just flown with Emirates? The website says no instruments like guitars but then I know that self-experience is always different.

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Personally no, however a friend of mine travelling SYD-LHR with a 3 day stopover in DXB was made to check his guitar into oversized / special / fragile baggage on both legs.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: Skywards
when the case is within the max dimensions it is possible as cabin luggage otherwise not, have never seen a guitar in the cabin so far...

Handbag: 55 x 38 x 20cm (22 x 15 x 8 inches)
Old May 9, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
ive never seen a guitar as hand luggage on EK in the cabin, but if you have a hard shell protective case theres no problem checking it in
Old May 10, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I offer the following tentatively, for whatever you can make of it.

When I was checking in at SYD last week, another passenger in the Business/Elite line had a guitar in a hard case, plus a carry-on and a big suitcase. I remember wondering whether he was expecting to take both the carry-on bag and the guitar. I also wondered if he was in J, where there might be room for both, or in Y.

As I was heading out of the check-in area, I saw the guitar case inside a locked wire-grid cage on wheels, so it didn't go down the conveyor belt with the regular checked luggage, but it wasn't going as carry-on either.

YMMV, of course.
Old May 11, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
There was a pax carrying a guitar BOS-DXB last week in Y. When he entered the a/c he handed it over to the FA who turned left and kept it somewhere. (I believe behind Row 7).
Old May 11, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I have seen guitars having their own seats in the F cabin.
Old May 12, 2016, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I have seen guitars having their own seats in the F cabin.
Not a guitar, but I was once on a JFK-DXB flight in F with Yo Yo Ma, the cellist. His cello was stored in an empty suite!
Old May 13, 2016, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Emirates202
Not a guitar, but I was once on a JFK-DXB flight in F with Yo Yo Ma, the cellist. His cello was stored in an empty suite!
More than likely he paid for that suite for the cello though!
Old May 13, 2016, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
More than likely he paid for that suite for the cello though!
Haha true he probably did!
Funny memory from that flight was that he couldn't figure out how to get through the curtain that separates F from the shower/bar area, being in 1K I was able to show him that the cutout was right in the middle!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.