Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Emirates Forum Dashboard feedback thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Emirates Forum Dashboard feedback thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
If a thread has been updated, it will return to the top of the forum. However, some people may not be able to find the thread to update if they don't know about the dashboard.
I suppose it depends how you 'use' the forum.

A lot of the topics in the stickies I only viewed every-so-often, but I look at the forum a lot more for new topics. So, for example, I only look at the 'new routes' thread every so often, so if it hasn't been updated it will drop off the first page. I'll then forget to even look at it, and it's gone for me. Even though it may update at any stage and come back to the top, if that does't coincide with a longer forum surfing session of mine I'll miss it.

I like the idea of limited stickies and the dashboard, but being honest, I'll probably then never look at the dashboard. Each to their own I guess...
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

This is brilliant ^. Thanks very much ft101. The coding behind the widgets have now been updated so now when you click on a widget you'll be taken to the thread's most recent post.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:19 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I appreciate the thread links at the bottom of the dashboard for those of us with images turned off. However there is no label for each link which makes it painful to find the desired thread (made worse by them no longer being stickied). Could the links at the bottom of the dashboard be changed to short text with the thread title?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by m3red
best practices from the BA forum!? I hope not!
^^

What will the BA honchos think of next: crappy 2-4-2 seating in EK J, (like in BA)?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think it is a lot worse than before and , from what I can tell, would require switching on of images to vaguely work

I have trouble seeing how this is any improvement and anything that replaces some simple links that require no images is a severe downgrade
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I just don't use the dashboard.

It may be valuable to newbies though although I've still seen new threads on oft covered topics started.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I appreciate the thread links at the bottom of the dashboard for those of us with images turned off. However there is no label for each link which makes it painful to find the desired thread (made worse by them no longer being stickied). Could the links at the bottom of the dashboard be changed to short text with the thread title?
I see what you mean - I will fix it by coding readable thread titles into the 'raw' urls.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think it is a lot worse than before and , from what I can tell, would require switching on of images to vaguely work

I have trouble seeing how this is any improvement and anything that replaces some simple links that require no images is a severe downgrade
Yes, the dashboard works much, much better when you enable images and if browsing from a mobile device, with the full site setting enabled. There is also a duplicate list of threads at the footer of the page for those who cannot see the widgets.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:48 pm

There should not be a need to have specific settings in user preferences in order to be able to use a so called dashboard

A simple , clean, list of description/links is , imo, far more appropriate.

Anything put in place as a general item to replace something that was never broken , should be functional for all users
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red
I just don't use the dashboard.

It may be valuable to newbies though although I've still seen new threads on oft covered topics started.
Dashboards, FAQ threads (stickied or otherwise) have a limited effect on member’s decision making when it comes to starting new threads. What the dashboard does well, is display to the uninitiated the range of topics already under discussion in the forum.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

There should not be a need to have specific settings in user preferences in order to be able to use a so called dashboard

A simple , clean, list of description/links is , imo, far more appropriate.

Anything put in place as a general item to replace something that was never broken , should be functional for all users
Dave, the dashboard is an added extra and does not take away any existing functionality. As I stated up thread, there is also a duplicate list of threads at the footer of the page for those who cannot see the widgets.

I realise you're not happy but this initiative was launched following a period of consultation with this forum's users and the choir sang joyously in favour of its introdution.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Prospero
I see what you mean - I will fix it by coding readable thread titles into the 'raw' urls.
Thanks - greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Simply put, the old version was better. I appreciate the effort and was neutral on the idea so didn't weight in before but seeing it in action I don't use it and the forum seems messier than before. There are several previously "sticky" threads I liked to follow but wasn't subscribed to and now they've disappeared into the ether of FT
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
Dave, the dashboard is an added extra and does not take away any existing functionality. As I stated up thread, there is also a duplicate list of threads at the footer of the page for those who cannot see the widgets.

I realise you're not happy but this initiative was launched following a period of consultation with this forum's users and the choir sang joyously in favour of its introdution.
If you class 9 people saying yes and 1 saying no as a choitr singing joyously. I wouldn't class 10 responses as such
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

If you class 9 people saying yes and 1 saying no as a choitr singing joyously. I wouldn't class 10 responses as such
There are probably only about 10 regular posters on the EK forum anyway.

The rest are people who drop by when they book a flight, so the dashboard will be good for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.