FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   The Emirates Forum Dashboard feedback thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1752977-emirates-forum-dashboard-feedback-thread.html)

Prospero Mar 14, 2016 3:53 pm

The Emirates Forum Dashboard feedback thread

As you can see, we have introduced some changes to the way the stickies are organised. Taking our cue from the BA forum, we adopted their best practices and modular approach whereby valuable content and FAQs launch from a single flexible sticky thread. This effectively hands back valuable real estate to you for your daily reading and discussion, and avoids sticky overload. A great deal of thought went into the efficiency and effectiveness key pre-existing information and content is presented to you. So in response to this a new http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...dashboard.html has been created which contains widgets that will direct you those popular threads you revisit time and time again. If you'd like to see other threads added, please feel free to shout out and post your nominations here.

We trust this graphically enhanced user interface will improve navigation and access to the threads you're looking for. Do note, widget functionality requires you to enable images in your user settings. Mobile phone users will benefit from an optimised experience when viewing FT in full site mode.

m3red Mar 15, 2016 12:09 am

best practices from the BA forum!? :D I hope not!

DYKWIA Mar 15, 2016 12:54 am

Thanks. It looks great!

RichL Mar 15, 2016 12:17 pm

It looks really good.

daisymay2 Mar 15, 2016 6:57 pm

Love it - thanks! :)

Stephenk82 Mar 16, 2016 8:39 am

I loved the idea of the dashboard when I saw it, but practically it's a bit different.

It turns out I liked the 'all on one page' new threads and stickies being live - as I'm really unlikely to go into the dashboard. Ive been on a good few times in the last 2 days, but only just gone into the dashboard. Even then I still haven't clicked through to anything - no idea how recently it has been updated etc.

Looks fab, but practically it's not really working for me.

ZRHMD11 Mar 16, 2016 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Stephenk82 (Post 26340785)
I loved the idea of the dashboard when I saw it, but practically it's a bit different.

It turns out I liked the 'all on one page' new threads and stickies being live - as I'm really unlikely to go into the dashboard. Ive been on a good few times in the last 2 days, but only just gone into the dashboard. Even then I still haven't clicked through to anything - no idea how recently it has been updated etc.

Fully agree with you....Looks nice but not pratical....
I prefer the old way......:-)

DYKWIA Mar 16, 2016 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Stephenk82 (Post 26340785)

If a thread has been updated, it will return to the top of the forum. However, some people may not be able to find the thread to update if they don't know about the dashboard.

Personally, I think a return of maximum of 3 stickies (on top of the dashboard) would be good. The one I always look at is the New Routes.

ft101 Mar 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 26341750)
If a thread has been updated, it will return to the top of the forum. However, some people may not be able to find the thread to update if they don't know about the dashboard.

The dashboard doesn't take you to where you last read a thread, so could be handy for newbies (if they look at it) but no good for regulars. Can't have everything I suppose.

I put it with Wikis in that very few will read them either.

I'd never even noticed the BA one on my forays over to the village of the damned. :cool:

DYKWIA Mar 16, 2016 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 26341968)
The dashboard doesn't take you to where you last read a thread, so could be handy for newbies (if they look at it) but no good for regulars. Can't have everything I suppose.

You can click on the Go To Last Unread button*.

* I just tried it

ft101 Mar 16, 2016 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 26342018)
You can click on the Go To Last Unread button*.

* I just tried it

Maybe I was up to date with my reading when I visited it as I didn't see this button (same now). What does it look like and where does it appear?

DYKWIA Mar 16, 2016 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 26342076)
Maybe I was up to date with my reading when I visited it as I didn't see this button (same now). What does it look like and where does it appear?

Try it now... Look at the newbie thread.

ft101 Mar 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 26342197)
Try it now... Look at the newbie thread.

Probably just me, but I can't see such a button on the dashboard links. OK on the general forum listing, but the dashboard always takes me to Page 1, Post 1.

Prospero Mar 16, 2016 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 26342256)
Probably just me, but I can't see such a button on the dashboard links. OK on the general forum listing, but the dashboard always takes me to Page 1, Post 1.

I believe it may be possible to code the links so that the viewer is taken to the #latestpost. If it helps, I’d be happy to amend the links so they behave in this way.

Test link....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...tml#latestpost

Edited to add. Test failed. Will seek tech advice.

ft101 Mar 16, 2016 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 26342463)
I believe it may be possible to code the links so that the viewer is taken to the #latestpost. If it helps, I’d be happy to amend the links so they behave in this way.

Test link....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...tml#latestpost

Edited to add. Test failed. Will seek tech advice.

Try this:

Please Post Your Operational Upgrade Experiences - 2015/2016