Difference between F and J Meals?

Old Mar 1, 16, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Difference between F and J Meals?

Hello,

Just checked the menus for my upcoming flight it looks like there is alot of overlap between what business class is serving and what F class has. I actually don't see too much of a difference especially on the ULH flights. Are they essentially the same dish and just plated differently? Also, if I see an item on the J menu that is not on the F menu. Am I able to request that?
Old Mar 1, 16, 7:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Basically the same with more choice in first, plated with more care in first and in long haul you can eat when you like.
Old Mar 1, 16, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
You have to give credit to EK's catering division. They do make every effort to ensure that the food in J class is just as ordinary as that in F.
Old Mar 1, 16, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
You have to give credit to EK's catering division. They do make every effort to ensure that the food in J class is just as ordinary as that in F.
At least it's harder to run out of food when in F though

Then again, it's airplane food and ex-DXB just go to the lounge, if you have time!
Old Mar 1, 16, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
The appetizers in F include caviar (if that's your thing) and the beverages are higher end and better than business (which are usually quite good.) Disclaimer: I usually fly USA carriers, so I know ordinary - or worse - beverages in premium cabins!
Old Mar 1, 16, 1:50 pm

Programs: MM, EK, AB/EY, HH, SPG, etc.
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
...and consistently so for years...
Old Mar 1, 16, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by 1kBill View Post
The appetizers in F include caviar (if that's your thing) and the beverages are higher end and better than business (which are usually quite good.) Disclaimer: I usually fly USA carriers, so I know ordinary - or worse - beverages in premium cabins!
The wines are a big step up.
Old Mar 1, 16, 9:44 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
The wines are a big step up.
I think it was m3red that recommended the 2003 Chateau Certan de May. Thank you! Enjoyed a bottle and a half flying back from LGW on the weekend
Old Mar 1, 16, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), Hyatt PLT, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nmc980 View Post
I think it was m3red that recommended the 2003 Chateau Certan de May. Thank you! Enjoyed a bottle and a half flying back from LGW on the weekend
The owner of my local wine bar picked that one out when I showed him the list for my forthcoming EK DFW-DXB flight in F. I look forward to trying a bottle or two.
Old Mar 1, 16, 11:52 pm

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
Please be aware that J meal options are also a part of the F menu on all EK flights now. This wasn't in the past but I noticed it a couple of years back as EK started its cost cutting measures. So you may actually be seated in F but end up sampling a J meal. Apart from the caviar, I find the menu options pretty much the same. And lest I forget, several people here on the forum seem to fall head over heels over a bitter aerated drink called 'DP' served only in F.

As an aside, I was actually shocked after noticing how limited the choices were now in J on my recent DXB-BOS ULH. I have stopped eating on EK flights mostly and the options on EKs menu are going a long way in helping that cause. A far cry from what was on offer when EK first started its ULH to JFK and then again upgraded it with the A380. Been downhill ever since.
Old Mar 2, 16, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by nmc980 View Post
I have a bottle at home that EK gave me. Looking forward to that.

The food on EK is average I agree but occasionally its good. Can't go wrong with Caviar champagne and some starters which are usually better than the mains...
Old Mar 2, 16, 9:53 am

I blame all of you guys and the lurkers for drinking the lounges dry of Vega Sicilia Unico 2000 last month. Now it's only the 03/04 Cos d'Estournel.
Old Nov 1, 16, 10:48 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Sadly - this is still the case, lots of overlap between F and C meals on both EU-DXB flights and DXB-US flights.

I'll be flying EK F next week (EU-DXB-US), and noticed, for example that the only F meals that don't not appear on the J menu on my ULH are the vegetarian pasta dish & fish dish. The remaining 3 mains are the same.
On my EU-DXB, 3 of the 5 meals are also the same - only two that appear on the F menu and not the J menu are the Pasta and the Fish dishes.

Of course, appetizers and desserts are a bit different - though there' still some overlap there.
Old Nov 1, 16, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by bostonbali View Post
Sadly - this is still the case, lots of overlap between F and C meals on both EU-DXB flights and DXB-US flights.

I'll be flying EK F next week (EU-DXB-US), and noticed, for example that the only F meals that don't not appear on the J menu on my ULH are the vegetarian pasta dish & fish dish. The remaining 3 mains are the same.
On my EU-DXB, 3 of the 5 meals are also the same - only two that appear on the F menu and not the J menu are the Pasta and the Fish dishes.

Of course, appetizers and desserts are a bit different - though there' still some overlap there.
It's the case on all routes.
Old Nov 1, 16, 1:35 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
IMHO, the real advantage of F meal is "eat on demand". You are not forced to eat one hour after take-off, whatever the time of the day.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: