Big Changes expected in Canada

Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Big Changes expected in Canada

After the longest time of Harper's Conservative Parties rule in Canada the Liberals have finally won a landslide majority vote with the newly elected Prime Minister Trudeau at it's helm yesterday.

I think now we can expect big changes in the Canada-UAE air transport relationship. Let's hope for the best.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
I'm not an expert in Canadian politics but I imagine the priority will be on domestic matters. I'm sure the domestic carriers will attempt to slow any opening up of Canadian air travel so I'm not sure how quickly any change will come - or how big it will be.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:43 pm

I think the most significant change will be that passengers will be able to roll and smoke a fatty in airport smoking lounges in the future.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by NOIR
After the longest time of Harper's Conservative Parties rule in Canada the Liberals have finally won a landslide majority vote with the newly elected Prime Minister Trudeau at it's helm yesterday.

I think now we can expect big changes in the Canada-UAE air transport relationship. Let's hope for the best.
Really? Such as?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blue2002
Really? Such as?

First a government in Canada the UAE can sit at a table with, and talk to in a meaningful manner.

Second Air Canada management is very close to the Conservative Party. They won't have as much lobbying power as they did in the past.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 5:07 am

First a government in Canada the UAE can sit at a table with, and talk to in a meaningful manner.
If I ware a smart mod - which I am not - I would probably tell you to take such political propaganda to OMNI.

Second Air Canada management is very close to the Conservative Party. They won't have as much lobbying power as they did in the past.
Careful what you ask for and remember how the airlines on the other side operate. If in doubt... review EY's annual report for 2014. Can't find it? Ha. What a surprise...
Old Oct 25, 2015, 5:17 am
Original Poster

If I ware a smart mod - which I am not - I would probably tell you to take such political propaganda to OMNI.

Careful what you ask for and remember how the airlines on the other side operate. If in doubt... review EY's annual report for 2014. Can't find it? Ha. What a surprise...
Please don't teach me about the politics in my own country, I view this more as an economical/business topic.

From what I see Down Under Qantas is doing well with it's Emirates tie up so where are the sour grapes on your side coming from???
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:07 am

Cool

Please don't teach me about the politics in my own country, I view this more as an economical/business topic.
No attempt to "teach" in my earlier post... but now I might be tempted.

From what I see Down Under Qantas is doing well with it's Emirates tie up so where are the sour grapes on your side coming from???
No sour grapes either.

Let's get back to your little post-electoral Liberal rah-rah for a moment: Once the new-and-oh-so-much-better Liberal government sits down for a chat with their counterparts from UAE, what do you expect to be the resulting positive changes?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:45 am
Original Poster

No attempt to "teach" in my earlier post... but now I might be tempted.

No sour grapes either.

Let's get back to your little post-electoral Liberal rah-rah for a moment: Once the new-and-oh-so-much-better Liberal government sits down for a chat with their counterparts from UAE, what do you expect to be the resulting positive changes?
l didn't say the Liberals were better, the context of my post was the approach will be different.

Well what they will talk about??? Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm sure they won't be taking about the Conservative's for the next four to five years now because they're irrelevant. and out the door now.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life

Why will the new lib. government be different than the old lib. government before the Harper government. Libs did not let these airlines into Canada unregulated.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:13 am

Thumbs down

l didn't say the Liberals were better, the context of my post was the approach will be different.

Well what they will talk about??? Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm sure they won't be taking about the Conservative's for the next four to five years now because they're irrelevant. and out the door now.
funny how ignorance and indignation go hand in hand...
Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:42 am
Original Poster

funny how ignorance and indignation go hand in hand...
Indignation no, but ignorance, and arrogance have cost us a lot when it comes to relations with emerging countries, and economies.

Enough said, I'll just agree to disagree with your point of view.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Its funny people talk about ME3 and subsidies. The Canadian govt is effectively doing the same thing to Air Canada by stopping EK from flying 2 x A380 daily. They know it would put AC out of business.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by m3red
Its funny people talk about ME3 and subsidies. The Canadian govt is effectively doing the same thing to Air Canada by stopping EK from flying 2 x A380 daily. They know it would put AC out of business.
Where did you hear this? How? Actually it was 3 times per week, but not daily flights.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by m3red
Exactly. Air Canada is subsidized in the form of protectionism.

AC management cronies belong to the same country club as the politicians in Ottawa, and gather at the same trough. While hopeful, I dont expect much to change sadly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.