FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Big Changes expected in Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1718185-big-changes-expected-canada.html)

NOIR Oct 20, 2015 12:10 am

Big Changes expected in Canada

After the longest time of Harper's Conservative Parties rule in Canada the Liberals have finally won a landslide majority vote with the newly elected Prime Minister Trudeau at it's helm yesterday.

I think now we can expect big changes in the Canada-UAE air transport relationship. Let's hope for the best.

pomkiwi Oct 20, 2015 12:20 am

I'm not an expert in Canadian politics but I imagine the priority will be on domestic matters. I'm sure the domestic carriers will attempt to slow any opening up of Canadian air travel so I'm not sure how quickly any change will come - or how big it will be.

OMGImInPattaya Oct 20, 2015 5:43 pm

I think the most significant change will be that passengers will be able to roll and smoke a fatty in airport smoking lounges in the future.

blue2002 Oct 25, 2015 4:32 am

Originally Posted by NOIR (Post 25589096)
After the longest time of Harper's Conservative Parties rule in Canada the Liberals have finally won a landslide majority vote with the newly elected Prime Minister Trudeau at it's helm yesterday.

I think now we can expect big changes in the Canada-UAE air transport relationship. Let's hope for the best.

Really? Such as?

NOIR Oct 25, 2015 4:49 am

Originally Posted by blue2002 (Post 25612726)
Really? Such as?

First a government in Canada the UAE can sit at a table with, and talk to in a meaningful manner.

Second Air Canada management is very close to the Conservative Party. They won't have as much lobbying power as they did in the past.

blue2002 Oct 25, 2015 5:07 am

Originally Posted by NOIR (Post 25612746)
First a government in Canada the UAE can sit at a table with, and talk to in a meaningful manner.

If I ware a smart mod - which I am not - I would probably tell you to take such political propaganda to OMNI.;)

Second Air Canada management is very close to the Conservative Party. They won't have as much lobbying power as they did in the past.
Careful what you ask for and remember how the airlines on the other side operate. If in doubt... review EY's annual report for 2014. Can't find it? Ha. What a surprise...

NOIR Oct 25, 2015 5:17 am

Originally Posted by blue2002 (Post 25612778)
If I ware a smart mod - which I am not - I would probably tell you to take such political propaganda to OMNI.;)

Careful what you ask for and remember how the airlines on the other side operate. If in doubt... review EY's annual report for 2014. Can't find it? Ha. What a surprise...

Please don't teach me about the politics in my own country, I view this more as an economical/business topic.

From what I see Down Under Qantas is doing well with it's Emirates tie up so where are the sour grapes on your side coming from???

blue2002 Oct 25, 2015 9:07 am

Originally Posted by NOIR (Post 25612795)
Please don't teach me about the politics in my own country, I view this more as an economical/business topic.

No attempt to "teach" in my earlier post... but now I might be tempted.

From what I see Down Under Qantas is doing well with it's Emirates tie up so where are the sour grapes on your side coming from???
No sour grapes either.

Let's get back to your little post-electoral Liberal rah-rah for a moment: Once the new-and-oh-so-much-better Liberal government sits down for a chat with their counterparts from UAE, what do you expect to be the resulting positive changes?

NOIR Oct 25, 2015 10:45 am

Originally Posted by blue2002 (Post 25613422)
No attempt to "teach" in my earlier post... but now I might be tempted.

No sour grapes either.

Let's get back to your little post-electoral Liberal rah-rah for a moment: Once the new-and-oh-so-much-better Liberal government sits down for a chat with their counterparts from UAE, what do you expect to be the resulting positive changes?

l didn't say the Liberals were better, the context of my post was the approach will be different.

Well what they will talk about??? Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm sure they won't be taking about the Conservative's for the next four to five years now because they're irrelevant. and out the door now.

Wpgjetse Oct 25, 2015 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by NOIR (Post 25612746)

Why will the new lib. government be different than the old lib. government before the Harper government. Libs did not let these airlines into Canada unregulated.

blue2002 Oct 26, 2015 3:13 am

Originally Posted by NOIR (Post 25613718)
l didn't say the Liberals were better, the context of my post was the approach will be different.

Well what they will talk about??? Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm sure they won't be taking about the Conservative's for the next four to five years now because they're irrelevant. and out the door now.

funny how ignorance and indignation go hand in hand...

NOIR Oct 26, 2015 3:42 am

Originally Posted by blue2002 (Post 25616320)
funny how ignorance and indignation go hand in hand...

Indignation no, but ignorance, and arrogance have cost us a lot when it comes to relations with emerging countries, and economies.

Enough said, I'll just agree to disagree with your point of view.

m3red Oct 26, 2015 3:48 am

Its funny people talk about ME3 and subsidies. The Canadian govt is effectively doing the same thing to Air Canada by stopping EK from flying 2 x A380 daily. They know it would put AC out of business.

N830MH Oct 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by m3red (Post 25616375)
Its funny people talk about ME3 and subsidies. The Canadian govt is effectively doing the same thing to Air Canada by stopping EK from flying 2 x A380 daily. They know it would put AC out of business.

Where did you hear this? How? Actually it was 3 times per week, but not daily flights.

rankourabu Oct 26, 2015 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by m3red (Post 25616375)

Exactly. Air Canada is subsidized in the form of protectionism.

AC management cronies belong to the same country club as the politicians in Ottawa, and gather at the same trough. While hopeful, I dont expect much to change sadly.