Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

F from BHX - chance of aircraft substituion?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV

I'm booked to travel in F on a Skywards ticket next month from BHX to DXB. Just slightly concerned that as I see that am currently the only occupant in F (based on EK and ExpertFlyer seat maps) and there is only one occupant in F on the DXB-BHX flight coming in. Overall the loads in F on this route appear to be very light in terms of advanced booking. Does anyone feel it is likely that EK will substitute a 2 class aircraft if loads in F remain very light?
(And yes I do know that we are still a few weeks away and things may change but the EF seat maps suggest this route is really very lightly booked at present).
Any experiences or views welcome.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:22 pm

Always a chance - but I'd just close my eyes and think of the refund to put forward to another trip, whilst enjoying J
Old Aug 24, 2015, 3:08 pm

I would have thought "unlikely" as EK have been marketing their 3rd daily flight from BHX specifically as having F as the other 2 flights don't
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:31 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Kaid
I would have thought "unlikely" as EK have been marketing their 3rd daily flight from BHX specifically as having F as the other 2 flights don't
But going back to 2 class again in the near future.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

One reason I booked the trip from BHX rather than LHR was for the limited edition experience

(Another factor is that the lounge at BHX is much better than the current arrangement at LHR).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
One reason I booked the trip from BHX rather than LHR was for the limited edition experience

(Another factor is that the lounge at BHX is much better than the current arrangement at LHR).
It's simply a case of thinking, does EK need any extra F capacity somewhere else on the network in September. Absent any major events like film festivals etc. and with new aircraft arriving, A380s taking over more routes, I think you'll probably be safe
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I guess the possibility of a substitution is always there. Have no first-hand experience of BHX, but we do know that LGW has seen regular phases of substitutions in recent years ...not sure how common it is there currently following schedule revisions/frequency additions.

You would have been far safer at LHR !

Anyway - as mentioned earlier - you could always pocket a refund, and with it being only a medium-length sector to DXB, things would be good enough in J
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by subject2load
I guess the possibility of a substitution is always there. Have no first-hand experience of BHX, but we do know that LGW has seen regular phases of substitutions in recent years ...not sure how common it is there currently following schedule revisions/frequency additions.

You would have been far safer at LHR !

Anyway - as mentioned earlier - you could always pocket a refund, and with it being only a medium-length sector to DXB, things would be good enough in J
I will be fine in J (although knowing my luck the decision would only be made in time for me to snag the last of the middle seats ).

I agree that LHR would have been the safer option but do quite like F in the 777 as a change from the A380.

Possibly the only time I can recall hoping for a more crowded F cabin!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I will be fine in J (although knowing my luck the decision would only be made in time for me to snag the last of the middle seats ).

I agree that LHR would have been the safer option but do quite like F in the 777 as a change from the A380.

Possibly the only time I can recall hoping for a more crowded F cabin!
Take a look here

http://www.theeksource.com/routetracker.html

Ek42 has had suites as per the ek advert. I'm sure you will have no problems at all.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red
Take a look here

http://www.theeksource.com/routetracker.html

Ek42 has had suites as per the ek advert. I'm sure you will have no problems at all.
Thanks - the panicked reference to the last middle seat was referring to J where there are 3 in the centre block if there was a substitution

I'm already happily booked into 1K assuming nothing changes (and I'm not expecting it to)
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: EK Gold
They are pushing first class until 31st December, so unless a plane breaks down and they have to swap it for a 2 class, you wont have any issues I wouldn't have thought.

Enjoy it. Unfortunately, 41/42 is no good for my connections so I miss out on this.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichL

Enjoy it. Unfortunately, 41/42 is no good for my connections so I miss out on this.
Normally I go through to Syd or Akl and this flight is poor for those connections so I go to LHR (luckily within the free car radius from both BHX and LHR). Not sure why they didn't put F on the evening flight for better connections - it might have sold better.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
I too got a great offer in F and onward to BKK,again in F, for the same price as J. Currently there are only two seats taken-me and Mrs SS.
The 3rd daily 3 class has only just started and runs until 31st December when it goes to a 2 class - all are 777-300ER. There has been no substitution yet-I think it unlikely, the following explanation may help.
Local PPRuNe "experts" state that it was never the intention to have a permanent 3 class schedule but lack of spare 2 class metal, and the desire to make BHX 3 times daily soonest, necessitated its introduction. And no-an A380 2 class was not on the cards because EK has a most useful cargo income out of Birmingham ,maximising it with the 777.
EK had 42697 BHX pax in May and 38567 in June, a traditional quiet month.
SS
Incidentally, I have nabbed F seats ( without the service) from J,twice in 18 months when a 3 class was substituted
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Mmm - 2 substitutions in the past 3 days, maybe my optimism might be misplaced. Might leave it a couple of weeks and if the pattern continues and if the loads out and back continue to be so light try and see if they might move a Plat to the morning flight from LHR
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Mmm - 2 substitutions in the past 3 days, maybe my optimism might be misplaced. Might leave it a couple of weeks and if the pattern continues and if the loads out and back continue to be so light try and see if they might move a Plat to the morning flight from LHR
They won't move you, you will also be ok in f from Birmingham - you'd be very unlucky if you got a 2 class. The reason for the swap will be very high loads from Dxb and beyond to the UK due to the end of the school holidays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.