Search

Barcelona Timing?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Barcelona Timing?

Good day.

I've been missing for quite a while here and haven't had much time to keep up with EK. We have just booked flights for December holidays for 4 DUR-BCN to catch the Norwegian Epic for a Mediterranean cruise on the 9th. My parents are the type who don't ever think of emergencies (but are the worst people when it does happen), and being a member of FT you hear too many to take such chances.

They refused to book a hotel in Barcelona for security as they find it a waste of a working day (despite my best efforts). So we have a 3 hour window from landing to get from the BCN Airport to the Port.

Are EK good on time to BCN? Are the customs lines bad for Schengen Visa people? Any other factors that could cause a delay to the port? We are flying Y (I will try and use miles to upgrade them, the "kids" will just have to sit in Y).

They always travel as part of group excursions where they plan nothing, so I fear for their sanity if something does go wrong, as we will then have to fly to Italy and catch the ship there...

Thanks.
Old May 1, 2015, 3:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Your parents are crazy

All it takes is a missed connection at DXB, or a fairly significant delay on the BCN flight, and you've missed your cruise!

Keep working to persuade them. Even better, add a couple of days in Barcelona, it's a very nice city.
Old May 1, 2015, 3:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Your parents are crazy

All it takes is a missed connection at DXB, or a fairly significant delay on the BCN flight, and you've missed your cruise!

Keep working to persuade them. Even better, add a couple of days in Barcelona, it's a very nice city.
Ahmed, most of the comments by this Ambassador regarding the financial performance of EK are indeed, well, crazy, he is spot on with his recommendation.
Old May 1, 2015, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by FD1971
Ahmed, most of the comments by this Ambassador regarding the financial performance of EK are indeed, well, crazy, he is spot on with his recommendation.
Got any facts to back up that statement??
Old May 1, 2015, 4:28 am

I've never made any comments about the financial performance of EK, as I don't have access to the data.
Old May 1, 2015, 4:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I've never made any comments about the financial performance of EK, as I don't have access to the data.
A late confession is better than no confession at all. @:-)

If you do not have access to any useful data or insight, why do you comment at all?

It is transit at DXB too long, maybe even eternal?
Old May 1, 2015, 4:39 am

Last edited by DYKWIA; May 1, 2015 at 4:42 am Reason: Thread creep :)
Old May 1, 2015, 4:52 am

We should probably keep the sniping confined to one thread so the rest of the forum can proceed normally with helping people out with questions or other discussions.
Old May 1, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: Skywards
A late confession is better than no confession at all. @:-)

If you do not have access to any useful data or insight, why do you comment at all?

It is transit at DXB too long, maybe even eternal?
Can you write your facts in the other thread instead of spamming this one?!

Transfer between airport and pier is not that easy, so no direct trains/coaches, afaik. I know people who take a taxi, as it is the easiest way (with all the luggage). Price is around 45$ (I guess there are also prebookable taxis in the internet) distance is around 20km, so max 30-35min. Sorry no information regarding schengen. Flights are mostly on time however as already mentioned, you can stuck in dxb or whatever.
Old May 1, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Welcome back Ahmed. According to Flighttrack EK 185 arrives at least 45 min late 11% of the time and 30-45 min late on another 5%. No experience of clearing customs and immigration in BCN but most flights are intra-Europe so may not be well staffed for non-EU visa processing.
As others have said 3 hours feels too tight - especially if your parents would find disruption challenging in a stressful (rather than good) way.
Old May 1, 2015, 9:51 am

As I can see, you have 2 hours in DXB before conecting on the flight to BCN.

And only 3 hours from BCN to the port....

Should be ok; but if something happens....you never know!!

If I were you; I would flight 2-3 days earlier and spend a nice time in Barcelona.....
Old May 1, 2015, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Great. Just showed them the thread and made them see that I'm not the only "worrier in the family."

They've contacted the TA to add a one night hotel booking at Barcelona for the night before. Not sure if the flights were issued yet (it's a public holiday in SA today) but they were really cheap so I assume it is quite a low bucket. Hoping the cost isn't too bad if they were issued.

We get a ride from the Airport to the Port by Norwegian Cruise Lines because we are booked in a Villa, so that's no problem for cost. The TA said that the ride from Airport to Port was only 20 minutes so I'm interested to hear here that it's about 30. Doesn't matter now, as we told the TA we would like to stay at the Novotel in Barcelona City Centre.

Thanks for the info regarding the passport control lines as well.

When we come off the cruise 11-days later, our EK flight departs at 10pm at night so we have the day in BCN. Does anyone know if Novotel will let us store our luggage there for the day (even if we have to pay that's fine). Or anywhere else where we can conveniently store luggage so we can tour for the day without lugging huge suitcases?
Old May 2, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Are the cruise line happy with your arrival. My experience of cruises is that there is a wide window of check in so if the 3 hours is to check in opening then you will have probably.more than 5 until it closes.

That said Barcelona is a wonderful city with a lot to do and see (from stunning architecture to Olympic and FCBarcelona stadia). One day isn't enough (especially as you are travelling so far. Add at least an extra day - you won't be disappointed.
Old May 2, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by Ahmed777
When we come off the cruise 11-days later, our EK flight departs at 10pm at night so we have the day in BCN. Does anyone know if Novotel will let us store our luggage there for the day (even if we have to pay that's fine). Or anywhere else where we can conveniently store luggage so we can tour for the day without lugging huge suitcases?
I don't think Novotel will let you store luggage with them if you are not a guest (and stying there 11 days earlier won't count). There should be a left luggage office at the main train station that you could use. It might also be worth asking the cruise company if thay have any suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.