Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Is there a more pathetic inflight Wifi than EK??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadoRas
It has been widely discussed on this thread that the Wi-Fi service on some A380 airframes is dismal. One of our Ambassadors - thijsseh - has suggested recording air frame registrations and if the Wi-Fi is good or bad. For ease of reference, grateful if you could add your experience in the wiki in the following format.

Airframe / Registration / Experience - ( Example: A380 / A6-EVG / Good)

A380 / A6-EVG / Good
A380 / A6-EUR / Good
A380 / A6-EVC / Good
A380 / A6-EUH / Good
A380 / A6-EDR / Bad
A380 / A6-EDY / Bad
A380 / A6-EOG / Bad
A380 / A6-EOY / Bad
A380 / A6-EUY / Good
A380 / A6-EUW / Good

Print Wikipost

Is there a more pathetic inflight Wifi than EK??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
https://planefinder.net/data/aircraft/A6-EOY

Was on EK12 on 22nd February (LGW to DXB)
It was operated by A6EOY and the wifi was the worst I've seen on an A380 ever.

Edited : updated the Wiki
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:43 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
Nothing stops you from using the 20mb free option more than once
I thought It recognised your device ID? And also dont you have to login using your skywards number?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I thought It recognised your device ID? And also dont you have to login using your skywards number?
Free option just asks for email address.

regarding the device id, there are ways to get around this, just ask any crew
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
Free option just asks for email address.

regarding the device id, there are ways to get around this, just ask any crew
In the early days it was stated on here that a) clearing cookies or b) spoofing MAC address was all that was required to get another session. Pretty lackadaisical approach by EK if it's still so easy.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ft101
In the early days it was stated on here that a) clearing cookies or b) spoofing MAC address was all that was required to get another session. Pretty lackadaisical approach by EK if it's still so easy.
Android 10 has this built in. By default, a random Mac is generated when you connect to Wifi
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: Sinbad Gold
Currently on EK38, A6-EUY. So far so good. Its actually the fastest wifi I’ve ever found in the air.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by SheldonB14
Currently on EK38, A6-EUY. So far so good. Its actually the fastest wifi I’ve ever found in the air.
With less than half load I surely hope this would be the case! Thank you for reporting.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: Skywards
A6-EGZ (EK028 / B77W) - wifi worked perfectly, had my laptop connected pretty much all the way to Dubai
A6-ECD) (EK606 / B77W) - wifi worked perfectly
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:09 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Wi-Fi has come a long way from previous discussions. Was able to face time from the bar of EK4 to the bar of EK20. A few years back it was painful to send a WhatsApp on an a380..
cager likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 3:43 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Will08
Wi-Fi has come a long way from previous discussions. Was able to face time from the bar of EK4 to the bar of EK20. A few years back it was painful to send a WhatsApp on an a380..
That's good to hear (maybe not so much FaceTiming from the bar, but the actual connectivity). The newer (RR engine) A380 already had similar WiFi performance to the 77W's, but my experience has also been that this is being (or now had been) extended to the older frames.

Last edited by thijsseh; Sep 15, 2023 at 3:51 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 15, 2023, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
That's good to hear (maybe notes much FaceTiming from the bar, but the actual connectivity). The newer (RR engine) A380 already had similar WiFi performance to the 77W's, but my experience has also been that this is being (or now had been) extended to the older frames.
I think it's a combination of access changes ($$$) and backend compression and routing etc., rather than a change in the hardware except from the move to one provider, as only the A350 is going to have to the more modern inmarsat Ka-band system which will bring EK's wifi up to more modern satellite offerings on other carriers.
thijsseh, murtaza12 and Will08 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.