Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Why does EK not allow advance emergency row seat reservations for Golds/Plats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does EK not allow advance emergency row seat reservations for Golds/Plats?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:12 am

My $0.02

Say you are a frequent visitor to a restaurant. And the restaurant has certain seats that cannot be reserved in advance and keeps them for a first come first serve basis. And say one day you reach the restaurant and there are other patrons waiting in a queue. I'm sure the restaurant will seat the folks in front of you even though you are a frequent visitor.

There is no guarantee that all golds and plats will be able to help during emergency. The policy should stay the same - the agent at the airport should decide if the person is able bodied or not and then assign the exit seats accordingly. Yes, it leaves room for 'corruption' but that;s the way to do it, in my humble opinion.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:17 am

For some, the line between corruption and discretion is quite thin
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingblacklab
My $0.02

Say you are a frequent visitor to a restaurant. And the restaurant has certain seats that cannot be reserved in advance and keeps them for a first come first serve basis. And say one day you reach the restaurant and there are other patrons waiting in a queue. I'm sure the restaurant will seat the folks in front of you even though you are a frequent visitor.

There is no guarantee that all golds and plats will be able to help during emergency. The policy should stay the same - the agent at the airport should decide if the person is able bodied or not and then assign the exit seats accordingly. Yes, it leaves room for 'corruption' but that;s the way to do it, in my humble opinion.
Opposite to my experience. If you are a frequent guest, a good restaurant will OF COURSE hold back one of the best seats for you. It is a service business, after all.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Opposite to my experience. If you are a frequent guest, a good restaurant will OF COURSE hold back one of the best seats for you. It is a service business, after all.
The term 'best seats' is relative here. As a passenger we may think the best seat is the exit seat. But in those seats the airline wants people who are willing to help during emergencies.

The gate agent just has to give it to the first set of willing folks. The GA cannot wait and hope that the gold/plats showing up later would be willing to help during emergencies.

Last edited by flyingblacklab; Nov 21, 2014 at 4:12 am
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
For some, the line between corruption and discretion is quite thin
It must be a scam
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It must be a scam
No other airline manages to allocate their exit row seats on a first come first serve basis, I don't see how EK can get away with giving them away to one and all...something fishy about it

Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
It's VERY fishy.

Anxious for some clarification, I decided to drop an email to the CEO of Delta. He was kind enough to reply by return.

"Over here in the US, we just can't make any sense of this exit row allocation system used by Emirates. Do the math - it just doesn't add up"

Sounds pretty conclusive to me......

Trust that resolves any lingering confusion for you all
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It must be a scam
hahahaha
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by flyingblacklab
My $0.02

From what I have seen of the people in exit rows (and I probably do fly Emirates a bit more than you), many would be struggling to open an exit door, let alone help anyone out.

But, if you are checking in in Kiev or such place, no one can convince me that the agent may not be favourably disposed to helping out an old comrade.

Just my ha'porth's worth (I am English after all).
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Budley
From what I have seen of the people in exit rows (and I probably do fly Emirates a bit more than you), many would be struggling to open an exit door, let alone help anyone out.

But, if you are checking in in Kiev or such place, no one can convince me that the agent may not be favourably disposed to helping out an old comrade.

Just my ha'porth's worth (I am English after all).
Of course you are right, Budley. The way it works at EK is that travellers who do not know how to check-in online and/or show up early at the airport end up in the emergency row seats. These are typically old, inexperienced travellers. Not always, but often.

LH is much smarter. "May I seat you in the emergency row", asks me the LH agent today when I rebook a flight. LH understands that it is better for customer satisfaction and for safety to have HONs sit in emergency rows. You do not need a rocket scientist to understand this (well, some of the posters here do).
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Only if you start with an axiom that all those holding HON status are capable of dealing with the emergency situation

If you find that EK's policies and procedures do not meet your needs, then why would you fly on it? It sounds that LH is better meeting your personal needs
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
The way it works at EK is that travellers who do not know how to check-in online and/or show up early at the airport end up in the emergency row seats. These are typically old, inexperienced travellers. Not always, but often.
You can't be bothered to turn up early (admitted up topic) and expect the EK magic seat fairy to sort you out, because Lufthansa have a magic seat fairy.

Other posters disagree.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you find that EK's policies and procedures do not meet your needs, then why would you fly on it? It sounds that LH is better meeting your personal needs
Strange attitude for a "FlyerTalk Evangelist". Isn't the purpose of this whole board also about trying to improve the travel experience for frequent flyers? EK meets my "personal needs" in many respects. I just find it less than satisfactory that they would not extend a benefit to its best clients that does not cost them anything and that probably would even increase safety (and yes, I would always have a preference for HONs, Platinums and the likes in emergency row seats - have you ever observed how clueless the average traveller is, starting with finding their seat?). I have not heard any good reason here why EK should not allocate those seats to frequent flyers.

LH & others are just smarter about it.

Last edited by CalFlyer; Nov 23, 2014 at 11:00 pm
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
You can't be bothered to turn up early (admitted up topic) and expect the EK magic seat fairy to sort you out, because Lufthansa have a magic seat fairy.

Other posters disagree.
Of course I do. As a regular flyer (now back to Platinum) who sees that competition can do it, I want it at EK as well.

I am surprised about EK apologetics like you - why do you defend EK on policies that hurt frequent flyers who do not have the time to show up at the airport 3 hours before flight and/or are based in Dubai?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They do not hurt frequent flyers, they just benefit frequent flyers differently

You do not wish to go along with how EK works, so perhaps use another airline; for other people booking at last minute, the likelihood that the exit rows will not have been already nabbed by FF members booking cheap tickets long way in advance may be beneficial

You know what you need to do if you want exit rows, it is up to you whether you wish to play along and get them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.