Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is Emirates A Financial Scam?
Yes
15.52%
No
60.92%
Dont care
20.11%
Undecided
3.45%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Is Emirates a financial scam?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Um, this is the airline business. There is a whole history of insanely dumb egotistical business decisions. Many of these have been made by airlines owned by their governments.

All I know is that if a USA airline decided to fly an A380 from Texas to the Middle East, the top management of that airline wouldn't last a month. The board of directors, shareholders and (maybe) the employee groups would riot. That is because words could not begin to describe the financial foolishness of such a decision.
If that airline was feeding 100,000* passengers per day to over 200 international destinations through their Texas hub then the A380 might make sense on many routes.

It's interesting the that 747 had limited success with US carriers, yet many international airlines profitably operated (and continue to operate) them to the US. I presume all those airlines were operating a scam too.

* Counted as 200,000 in airport stats as each gets counted as both an arrival and departure.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:39 am

The model is theoretically possible at some level of scale to connect European markets with Asian and Pacific markets due to geography. But any rational person who looked at a globe would quickly realize that there is no theoretical possibility of making money connecting pax from N. America to Asia/Pacific in the Middle East using A380s. If this was a "real" business plan, you undoubtedly would use an aircraft like the 787 which was designed to be cost efficient on long thin routes. Not that this would actually be a business plan that works, but it would be theoretically possible. The fact the Emirates is using A380s to connect long thin routes with limited demand, tells any rational, knowledgable observer of the industry that this isn't about profits. If you're not willing to try to understand this fact, I can't really discuss the matter further with you. It would be like believing you could sell complete steak dinners profitably in NYC for 5 bucks ("oh, but their costs are lower!").
I just had to revisit this:
- Firstly, PER/SIN/India/Thailand/Africa/M.E. ALL have lucrative markets for travel to the US with the route via the Middle East with minimal extra flying, believe it or not. Try it yourself on gc. http://bit.ly/1EQRzdQ

- Secondly, if you really couldn't discuss the matter further with us then why keep on posting replies? You're making a fool of yourself, if you haven't realised.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 3:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by blagger

It's interesting the that 747 had limited success with US carriers, yet many international airlines profitably operated (and continue to operate) them to the US. I presume all those airlines were operating a scam too.
Of course - it stands to reason that if it isn't what is done by those oh so wonderfully run US carriers that have never needed protections in form of bankruptcy protection, it must not be profitable and so must be a scam

Airlines should apparantly aspire to be like US ones
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Airlines should apparantly aspire to be like US ones
Financially, yes. They have become, by far, the most profitable airlines in the world. Of course, as a customer, you are likely to be far better off flying an airline like Emirates, which will we give you more for your money than a "greedy" American carrier seeking to maximize profits for its shareholders.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:40 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Financially, yes. They have become, by far, the most profitable airlines in the world. Of course, as a customer, you are likely to be far better off flying an airline like Emirates, which will we give you more for your money than a "greedy" American carrier seeking to maximize profits for its shareholders.
The last report I saw had Copa (Panama) as the most profitable...
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:29 pm

As an expert in airline economics, what can you conclude about a domestic market where all major players are making supernormal profits?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:37 pm

Well, maybe true for now. But it is easy to be profitable if you rip your employees off their pensions in regular chapter 11 defaults. "Social dumping" is probably the right expression for this behavior. Oh, EK pays a nice end-of-service benefit to employees and pays good salaries to FAs and pilots.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:38 pm

Your employees could work for free and you could still lose plenty of money flying A380s between Dubai and Texas. I'm sure all the US airlines would lose buckets of money provide such service even with free labor. Everyone has to pay for fuel and aircraft expense, and (unless those are subsidized) they pay the same. Saving a few bucks on labor would make a difference on your P&L, but certainly could never allow you to do something that no other airline in the world could do (aka, make money operating premium ultra long haul service on enormous planes and then rely on connecting traffic).

I know you Emirates loyalists don't "get it," and that's fine, but you should understand that the economics that these Middle Eastern airlines operate under are so much different than what exists anywhere else in the world that it "reeks" of fishiness. Which is why the USA airline CEOs say what they say. They know the math doesn't work.
Hi iahphx, firstly, I am not an Emirates "loyalist" - I have no vested interest in the success of EK or any other carrier. As I've said previously, I fly EK as they suit my budget and schedule. It is not the only carrier I have flown on or given business to. I simply see your argument and have some points to raise. This is a discussion board is it not? If this was a discussion about IAG's decision in the case of BA to continue their high density J class configurations and whether that was a sound business case given aviation trends, I'd still present arguments in the same manner as I have done with you here.

As to whether I "get it" or not - I believe I did earlier in the thread lay out my understanding of your argument and by your lack of direct response to it, I assume that I was correct in my understanding. So, I "get" what you're saying. I also offer up some counter points to the various assumptions underlying the logical chain of your argument - assumptions which if turn out to be incorrect lead to the conclusion that Emirates is not in fact a "financial scam".

Your point about the economics that ME airlines work under, vis a vis US airlines (or other places in the world) - yes, the economics are different and that's mainly because of the demographics of the area. You have 1 billion people living within 3 hours of the hubs. You have 2 billion people within 6 hours. For a significant proportion of this population, if they want to make a long haul trip anywhere, they must connect somewhere. That can be in the ME, Europe, NE Asia, even US gateways. It doesn't matter. What matters to them is the connectivity, schedule and most importantly price. EK have to accept lower yields on mass Y traffic - not enough people earn enough money to not be price sensitive. Out of this pool of 1.5 billion people - or even 1 billion people who want to travel to the US - there's enough demand, scattered across the entire catchment area of the hubs in the ME there to sustain both the outbound and inbound routes - US carriers only have the continental United States, a population of only 300 million to play with.

I don't think I really need to go over again the mathematics of the feasibility of ULH A380 routes do I? I would have thought that taking public data on fuel tank capacity, fuel costs and cost structures would be enough to demonstrate sustainably profitable operations.

Now let's take your point about the financial success of the current incarnation of US airlines. There is a subtext to your posts that if a carrier isn't achieving profitability on the likes of the US airlines and isn't publicly traded then there's "something fishy" about it.

Let's put aside for the moment US carriers domestic protections - aka foreign airlines can't operate domestically and just focus on raw numbers.

In the 9 months ended last quarter:
- UA had revenue of 29,588 million USD, and had pre-tax profit of 1,105 million USD
- DL had revenue of 30,715 million USD, and had pre-tax profit of 2,212 million USD
- In the 6 months to Q2 for AA, the combined US/AA group had revenue of 21,351 million USD and pre-tax profits of 1,696 million USD.

That's net pre-tax margins of: UA: 3.73%, DL: 7.2%, AA: 7.94%.

These a good, or even great results for airlines, the bankruptcy proceedings notwithstanding. Just goes to show that a better cost base actually makes various things quite sustainable.

Of course, let's not forget that those 3 airlines also have a relatively higher margin domestic route network which accounts for 50% of revenue.

Let's take EK:
In the full year ended March 2014, EK (the airline group, not including dnata) had revenue of 80,717 million AED and a profit of 3,464 million AED. That's a pre-tax margin of 4.29%.

So, better than UA, but not as much as DL and AA. Kind of middle of the road performance - but better than the industry average of 2.5% (post tax). Any analyst will tell you that direct comparisons between EK and say the big three US carriers is going to be difficult as EK doesn't have a higher margin domestic network contributing to good results - it relies on a fleet of wide bodies doing mainly medium and long haul routes, with source markets that aren't as wealthy and on the whole, lower yielding.

But, for the purposes of this thread, the question is: is Emirates a scam - and clearly these financial results show that EK works on a commercial basis and competes and compares quite favourably to the current darlings of the aviation industry with regards to profitability, the US ones. So. Not a scam.

I would like to concur with moondog and thank you for spawning this quite interesting and lively discussion however!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:39 pm

As an expert in airline economics, what can you conclude about a domestic market where all major players are making supernormal profits?
*raises hand* pick me pick me!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collusion
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:14 am

iahphx probably thinks his post count is what qualifies him as an expert. Thats the only thing I can gather from all his replies and answers. Reminds me of a time when on another forum someone tried to explain to a poster that Sky+ does now allow you to forward live tv but the poster refused to accept it. Good days lol.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The last report I saw had Copa (Panama) as the most profitable...
Interesting history with Copa. Continental's Gordon Bethune (one of the USA CEO's most instrumental in making the industry profitable) bought a large stake in Copa several years ago and sent managers down there. They then transformed themselves into an extremely successful airline.

Are the profits "supernormal"? By airline standards maybe, by "normal" business standards certainly not. There are obviously barriers to entry and the players are acting rational: which mostly consists of keeping a tight lid on supply.

This is why the situation in the Middle East is so aberrational in terms of airline profitability. It's obvious that the market for Middle East connecting flights is not unlimited due to geography and population. Yet, several airlines are expanding service at break-neck pace. There's no way such activity could possibly be profitable anywhere else in the world, but plenty of people here think it's a good business plan.

If you had the USA airlines buying up A380s and flying them all over the world -- relying on this supposed connecting traffic and tapping into the enormous North American aviation market -- it would be a recipe for a financial failure of epic proportions. Indeed, if only one USA airline did it, the whole sector would be un-investable.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you had the USA airlines buying up A380s and flying them all over the world -- relying on this supposed connecting traffic and tapping into the enormous North American aviation market -- it would be a recipe for a financial failure of epic proportions.
What are your opinions on the data from the Economist which was posted in this thread?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:10 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Things that haven't been included in the numerical analysis so far:
1) Profit from commercial cargo carried on passenger jets
2) Savings from using one larger jet instead of two smaller ones (lowered airport fees, fewer crew, etc)

Also - the ULH configuration of the A380 (the type that Emirates flies to the US) has a capacity of around 480, not 600. 480 passengers is only about 1.5 times the 777-300.

FWIW all Emirates flights to or from the US that I've been on have been full (I fly ~2-3x a year between DXB and the US)

Last edited by Xlr; Dec 22, 2014 at 8:10 am
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is why the situation in the Middle East is so aberrational in terms of airline profitability. It's obvious that the market for Middle East connecting flights is not unlimited due to geography and population. Yet, several airlines are expanding service at break-neck pace. There's no way such activity could possibly be profitable anywhere else in the world, but plenty of people here think it's a good business plan.
What would your business plan be if you ran an airline that was based in Dubai?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.