Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat blocking in Y - for whom?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Quick question: I am currently a "Gold plus" on EK. When checking into my flights online and checking the seatmaps on Expertflyer, I often notice that the seat next to me is occupied by another passenger while - across the seat map - there are a number of middle seats x-ed out. I assume that this is to provide premium flyers with an empty seat next to them. I am not talking about the x-ed out emergency seats and/or first row of compartment seats, but about arbitrary seats throughout the plane.

My question: For which level upwards does Emirates actively block the seat next to you? Isn't this a Gold/Gold+ benefit?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
My question: For which level upwards does Emirates actively block the seat next to you? Isn't this a Gold/Gold+ benefit?
I've been looking for the same answer.

As a Plat, I can confirm that the seat next to me is never blocked out. It is something that I have to specifically ask for during check-in/ lounge in case the flight is not full.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:50 am

Actively, as in system automatically does it? I think that never happens - that said, my routes are usually empty or totally full, so it doesn't matter either way.

As jackiedada says, best to ask a staff member at the airport/lounge to make the request for you. This works better when the staff member is an actual EK employee, not a contracted ground services staff in EK uniform as the actual employee is much more likely to actually know the load controller on duty.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

As far as I know they only block seats when they are sure the load will allow it and then only by airport check in. They release the bulk head early for io's and I assume plat on request. They are not meant to block out other seats until a few hours before flight closes. What is gold plus btw?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
What's gold plus?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Originally Posted by Emirates202
What's gold plus?
I believe it is a person with over 100,000 miles but has not yet reached Platinum.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Ahmed777
I believe it is a person with over 100,000 miles but has not yet reached Platinum.
Does EK recognize this as a tier? Do they get benefits that regular golds don't?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Looking at EK seat maps on expertflyer, there are usually some seats that show as blocked but are selectable, for example 9,10,11 A and B on a 777. In Y the block is somewhere around 29-34 A,B,C on 777.

I have always been able to select these seats (with status), does anyone know whether they are blocked to those without status? I am not sure what purpose the block serves.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:51 pm

maybe it is me. I always booking Myself and an extra seat for health reason vie-dxb-bkk and back . So they are blocking it , unfortunately all my bookings are routed to DXB customer centrer to confirm the booking. on ohter side I am a permanent looser on op-up magic. but always personal call and priority boarding even now when no more sticks or wheels with me.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Actively, as in system automatically does it? I think that never happens - that said, my routes are usually empty or totally full, so it doesn't matter either way.

As jackiedada says, best to ask a staff member at the airport/lounge to make the request for you. This works better when the staff member is an actual EK employee, not a contracted ground services staff in EK uniform as the actual employee is much more likely to actually know the load controller on duty.
Interesting, you may be right with your assumption. When I am checking arbitrary flights a few days out (on Expertflyer), only the normal bulkhead/emergency row/group booking x-ed out seats are visible. It is only for flights that are already open for checkin that I can see the "arbitrary" x-ed out middle seats.

I am surprised EK does not have an automatic blocking procedure, at least for Platinums. Especially on lightly booked flights it is annoying if the seat next to you is occupied because someone chose it well ahead of departure date. LH does it quite effectively automatically for HONs and for SENs: The moment you reserve your seat, the blocking kicks in. If the seat is needed since the flight runs full, the block is released. Superior process.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Havoc10G
What is gold plus btw?
Not exactly sure myself what this unpublished status is all about, but it looks like I have it: something like "Gold plus" or "Gold preferred" (forgot the exact phrase). I noticed it on a passenger list at the gate (the one they print with names of remaining passengers before closing the flight). It had this phrase clearly behind my name. I was not sure if it was because I am a regular at that airport and they want to remind the gate agent that I should have preference for op-ups, or if it is because of my Skywards tier miles (which have been between 100K and 150K for a while now).

No visible benefits, I guess (and hope!) it is only used for op-ups. Gold is just to easy to achieve, so I guess EK wants to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Let me ask some of my flying EK staff friends if they can resolve.

Last edited by CalFlyer; Nov 9, 2014 at 7:49 pm
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by father_ted
Looking at EK seat maps on expertflyer, there are usually some seats that show as blocked but are selectable, for example 9,10,11 A and B on a 777. In Y the block is somewhere around 29-34 A,B,C on 777.

I have always been able to select these seats (with status), does anyone know whether they are blocked to those without status? I am not sure what purpose the block serves.
They are usually blocked for me as a Gold.

I did notice recently that making a booking through Expedia showed the J seats you mentioned as available for selection, which I thought unusual. Only Row 6 was blocked.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Not exactly sure myself what this unpublished status is all about, but it looks like I have it: something like "Gold plus" or "Gold preferred" (forgot the exact phrase). I noticed it on a passenger list at the gate (the one they print with names of remaining passengers before closing the flight). It had this phrase clearly behind my name. I was not sure if it was because I am a regular at that airport and they want to remind the gate agent that I should have preference for op-ups, or if it is because of my Skywards tier miles (which have been between 100K and 150K for a while now).

No visible benefits, I guess (and hope!) it is only used for op-ups. Gold is just to easy to achieve, so I guess EK wants to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I m pretty sure they segregate the mass of golds at 75k plus and 100k plus for op ups.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:08 am

I think you'll find that cabin crew are the least informed out of all EK group personnel as to what happens in any aspect of ground operations

I find that the lounge agents are generally the nicest and the most likely to be actually employed by EK as they are sent on staff travel to DXB for training every so often which doesn't happen for contractors - as you say you are a regular, they probably recognise you so it won't hurt for you to ask them both about Gold+ and seat blocking. Perhaps it does happen automatically but the threshold for when the seat blocking is removed is so low and EK planes fill up quite quickly on many routes that more frequent fliers who don't book too far in advance never notice it?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Can I ask a question, please?

If the seat is blocked next to one.
Example:
Seat of Gold Member
53A
Blocked Seat
53B
Seat of Person A
53C
Aisle

What happens if Person A on seat 53C changes with a couple.
The couple want to sit together, give A one of their seats, and the couple will move to 53B and 53C.
Are EK staff enforcing the block seat?
I mean that would highly illogical, since they would severely upset a couple, who want to sit together and have found two empty seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.