FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat blocking in Y - for whom?
View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:39 pm
CalFlyer

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Actively, as in system automatically does it? I think that never happens - that said, my routes are usually empty or totally full, so it doesn't matter either way.

As jackiedada says, best to ask a staff member at the airport/lounge to make the request for you. This works better when the staff member is an actual EK employee, not a contracted ground services staff in EK uniform as the actual employee is much more likely to actually know the load controller on duty.
Interesting, you may be right with your assumption. When I am checking arbitrary flights a few days out (on Expertflyer), only the normal bulkhead/emergency row/group booking x-ed out seats are visible. It is only for flights that are already open for checkin that I can see the "arbitrary" x-ed out middle seats.

I am surprised EK does not have an automatic blocking procedure, at least for Platinums. Especially on lightly booked flights it is annoying if the seat next to you is occupied because someone chose it well ahead of departure date. LH does it quite effectively automatically for HONs and for SENs: The moment you reserve your seat, the blocking kicks in. If the seat is needed since the flight runs full, the block is released. Superior process.