Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Changes to the CD Terms and Conditions in early January 2019 confirm the following:

Effective 1 March 2019, new Chauffeur-drive service reservations are not available in conjunction with Skywards Business and First Class Classic Rewards and Economy to Business Class Upgrades.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...nd-conditions/
Print Wikipost

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Having 4 paid J tickets and assuming they are not ‘special’ fare (in which case you are out of luck altogether), you can book 4 cars in each of MIA, JNB, CPT and MIA again. You do this via manage my booking on the Emirates website. Often you can get a minivan or other large car to transport all of you, but you willl have to arrange that with the service provider. Generally, you will get an email, a text message or a phone call between 24 and 48 hours before the flight giving you the opportunity to agree on what suits best. Of the stations you mention, I only know CPT (very well). The service is provided by Avis point to point and is very professional. They will contact you via email and give you a phone number so you can talk to them.
In a case like yours, and not knowing how the service is arranged in the stations where you go, I personally would book 2 cars (which will easily take the 4 of you plus the luggage) and when you get contacted you can ask for a van or something like that and cancel the other car.
As far as DXB is concerned: is the 13 hour connection the shortest possible? In that case you qualify for a car, hotel and meals at the expense of the airline. If you qualify, you can book this via MMB and you will be given vouchers when you check in in MIA (and / or CPT). If you don’t qualify for this service, you don’t get a car for a 13 hour layover.
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression we'd also have access to the transfer in DXB, thought I read it somewhere but I'll call EK and check. I'll also try to get them to request vans/suvs from the get go if possible.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 8:21 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression we'd also have access to the transfer in DXB, thought I read it somewhere but I'll call EK and check. I'll also try to get them to request vans/suvs from the get go if possible.
I had a quick look at those routes on a random date. It would appear that the shortest connection on MIA/DXB/JNB is a bit over 9 hours. That should make you eligible for the Dubai Connect service which includes transport to a hotel paid for by Emirates. Seeing that you have booked the 13 hour layover, you may not qualify for this, but anecdotally you may well be offered it as the shortest connection qualifies you. It would be bookable on MMB on the website. See https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...dubai-connect/

If you have organised your own hotel (which I assume to be the case) you would through the 'letter of the law' not qualify for a car in DXB. If you go to the chauffeur drive area on MMB (or on the app), you will be able to see your entitlement for cars along your trip. If you don't qualify for a car, don't stress: taxis are inexpensive and plentiful in Dubai!
On the way back, CPT/DXB/MIA, there is a nice quick connection so I am assuming that your 13 hour layover is on the outbound.
I am flying CPT/DXB on 29 March...(but connecting to LGW, not MIA)
Old Feb 24, 2024, 1:33 pm

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
Hi! Flying out of Lisbon in J. It lets me book chauffeur but the latest I can do is 3hrs prior to departure but I don’t need to leave until 2hrs prior, is there a way to do this? Call customer service? Thank you!
Old Feb 24, 2024, 2:57 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by theox
Hi! Flying out of Lisbon in J. It lets me book chauffeur but the latest I can do is 3hrs prior to departure but I don’t need to leave until 2hrs prior, is there a way to do this? Call customer service? Thank you!
Yes call and confirm the time you want then the CD will also confirm that’s the time you want, not a problem.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I had a quick look at those routes on a random date. It would appear that the shortest connection on MIA/DXB/JNB is a bit over 9 hours. That should make you eligible for the Dubai Connect service which includes transport to a hotel paid for by Emirates. Seeing that you have booked the 13 hour layover, you may not qualify for this, but anecdotally you may well be offered it as the shortest connection qualifies you. It would be bookable on MMB on the website. See https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...dubai-connect/

If you have organised your own hotel (which I assume to be the case) you would through the 'letter of the law' not qualify for a car in DXB. If you go to the chauffeur drive area on MMB (or on the app), you will be able to see your entitlement for cars along your trip. If you don't qualify for a car, don't stress: taxis are inexpensive and plentiful in Dubai!
On the way back, CPT/DXB/MIA, there is a nice quick connection so I am assuming that your 13 hour layover is on the outbound.
I am flying CPT/DXB on 29 March...(but connecting to LGW, not MIA)
Once again, thanks for all the info. We're bot going until May. Alas, my agent told me the ticket didn't go through and it's no longer available. Flying on BA now so no CD for us. However we're saving $4k so can't complain!
Old Feb 28, 2024, 4:49 am

On our way to ICN tonight. The ride is a Hyundai Staria minivan with hard seats that reeks of cigarette smoke. We are two F passengers on paid-in-cash tickets. This is the crappiest Emirates ride I've ever taken and I'm going to have to dry clean my clothes to get the smoke out.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by cjsnell
On our way to ICN tonight. The ride is a Hyundai Staria minivan with hard seats that reeks of cigarette smoke. We are two F passengers on paid-in-cash tickets. This is the crappiest Emirates ride I've ever taken and I'm going to have to dry clean my clothes to get the smoke out.
Make sure you complain about that to EK. You may get a few Skywards points, but more importantly, it will hopefully ensure EK add this to any other complaints they have about the CD company at ICN.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Make sure you complain about that to EK. You may get a few Skywards points, but more importantly, it will hopefully ensure EK add this to any other complaints they have about the CD company at ICN.
Who should I raise the issue to? Check-in counter? I really hope nobody else has to ride in this van. Not exaggerating at all: I would have much preferred the typical city taxi to this ride.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Who should I raise the issue to? Check-in counter? I really hope nobody else has to ride in this van. Not exaggerating at all: I would have much preferred the typical city taxi to this ride.
Emirates Customer Relations via the website.
cjsnell likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 6:09 am

That sounds disgusting and I hope EK makes it right by you. Let us know.
kevin111260 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:29 am

Sounds like an awful experience...

How was the ride at the destination airport? Was it dxb?

did EK make it up tp you?
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I was able to successfully do this. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s YMMV but they didn’t have any problem with it when I asked.

Originally Posted by SEA737
If I land in DXB in the evening in F, would it be possible to stay at a hotel nearby, then use the chauffeur the following morning to go elsewhere in the UAE?
Originally Posted by JudeS
CD will take you from the airport to your accommodation ( home/hotel/whatever) and from there to the airport. If you want to travel elsewhere then you will have to use a taxi or limo service and pay for it accordingly.
Originally Posted by SEA737
But will they take me from the airport to a hotel, just the following morning?
It’s certainly not the intention. The process is that you pick up your luggage (if any) and then go to the CD ‘centre’, show your BP and you are allocated a car. I’m not even sure if you can access that ‘centre’ in the wrong way and especially without attracting attention. And your BP may not work at that stage. And how do you get back from this ‘local’ hotel to the airport anyway? The area is not exactly pedestrian friendly.
Taxi’s are not expensive in Dubai. Just get over it and get a cab!
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:36 am

Two Gripes and a Positive Re: EK and Addison Lee in U.K.

Can anyone help with -

1. Who works out the mileage for the EK chauffeur service - EK or the service provider (in our case Addison Lee)?

2. Does anyone know what app / service is used to get to “driven miles” to feed into their excess mileage cost charge?

3. Is there an escalation route within both companies’ customer service / complaints processes?

Background is this:

When considering whether to take the offered chauffeur service, we sat down and calculated the excess mileage, applied the cost t&c and decided it was financially sensible to accept the (likely) excess over and above sourcing a car locally or getting the train and holding up for the night at LGW.

When we received the confirmation of the car at on line check in, we received a wee bit of a shock, for whereas we had calculated on the basis of an excess of 36 miles (using Google maps and the AA route finder) the figure given is based on an excess of 75 miles. I have queried this with both EK and Addison Lee, and they are blaming each other. At 48 hours notice it has not proved possible to make alternative arrangements and are stuck with a wince inducing additional cost.

On the positive side, both customer service departments answered the phones, sent emails and communicated with us well in to Sunday evening.

Any help or advice gladly received, and thanks for your time..

paul
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:19 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Pjh104
Can anyone help with -

1. Who works out the mileage for the EK chauffeur service - EK or the service provider (in our case Addison Lee)?

2. Does anyone know what app / service is used to get to “driven miles” to feed into their excess mileage cost charge?

3. Is there an escalation route within both companies’ customer service / complaints processes?

Background is this:

When considering whether to take the offered chauffeur service, we sat down and calculated the excess mileage, applied the cost t&c and decided it was financially sensible to accept the (likely) excess over and above sourcing a car locally or getting the train and holding up for the night at LGW.

When we received the confirmation of the car at on line check in, we received a wee bit of a shock, for whereas we had calculated on the basis of an excess of 36 miles (using Google maps and the AA route finder) the figure given is based on an excess of 75 miles. I have queried this with both EK and Addison Lee, and they are blaming each other. At 48 hours notice it has not proved possible to make alternative arrangements and are stuck with a wince inducing additional cost.

On the positive side, both customer service departments answered the phones, sent emails and communicated with us well in to Sunday evening.

Any help or advice gladly received, and thanks for your time..

paul
Interestingly, both Apple maps and Google maps give me 69 miles from my home to LGW. Have you tried at least there (or for instance Waze?) I have used the service very often, both from and to the airport and have never expected to pay (and have never been asked to either). But they seem to be getting more sticky with all of this. Have booked a car for next Tuesday so we'll see if they have a different view of the distance than I have.
Interestingly, during Covid when EK did not fly to LGW, I once flew to LHR which is 89 miles and I was not charged for that (and the airfare was about 60% of what it is now....)
Pjh104 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:14 pm

Beware of PVG nowadays, as I had some bad experiences. Last time I got a new S class (great), absolutely reeking of cigarette smell (disgusting). I considered just dumping it, but it was 3am so I thought I’d just soldier on. Had to argue with the driver who had blocked the passenger windows controls. Driver kept texting on his phone despite my vocal complaints to either just drive, or stop and text. Then he started speeding. A very vocal complaint sent to EK - this is not OK.
aphro likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.