Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Seat guarantee benefit for Gold members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Gringuito
The other difference is that now you require a full fare ticket vs only a flex ticket previously. I did use that once at Christmas and was very helpful at that time
This is a huge difference and largely cancels out the positive benefits of this change.

One could always "game" the system by temporarily blocking the remaining F/J seats with speculative bookings (hint : Lagos to anywhere via Dubai cannot be ticketed online, so you just put that itinerary on hold to block the seats) and then call in when the inventory was down to F0J0Y0. With just a flex requirement, this benefit was extremely useful at times. With full fare economy, its utility is significantly reduced.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

So it's your fault they changed the system ! ;p
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Gringuito
The other difference is that now you require a full fare ticket vs only a flex ticket previously. I did use that once at Christmas and was very helpful at that time
The official statement in the Emirates terms & conditions is really fluffy. Quote (excerpt):

"An Emirates agent will confirm if an existing ticket is an eligible, full commercial Flex fare and valid for a guaranteed seat. If it’s not, the ticket can be upgraded for an additional charge. If there is no existing booking, the agent can create a new booking using an eligible fare. Learn more about the seat guarantee benefit.
*Some commercial Flex fares may not be eligible for the seat guarantee benefit but can be upgraded for an additional charge. Please check with our Contact Centre."

It says that some commercial Flex Fares may not be eligible, but it does not say that only Y fares are. Who on earth can phrase this in such an idiotic fashion, really?! Just list the booking classes that are eligible, Emirates.

Has anybody talked to the EK Contact Centre yet?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:48 pm

The T&Cs also state: **Effective 15th August 2014

So, does this mean that before Aug 15 I can use the current booking guarantee rules also for flights after Aug 15? I read it this way. Then I will load up with tickets for the next two months, tomorrow.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
The T&Cs also state: **Effective 15th August 2014

So, does this mean that before Aug 15 I can use the current booking guarantee rules also for flights after Aug 15? I read it this way. Then I will load up with tickets for the next two months, tomorrow.
What is the benefit though? The new rules are more beneficial than the old ones. The rules will be those in effect on the date on which you try to use it

If you use it on the 14th , then you can only get the guaranteed economy seat should all of economy , business and 1st are sold out

On the 15th, then the guaranteed economy seat can be obtained once economy is sold out; no need for business and 1st to be sold out
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: EK GOLD, EY GOLD, AZ GOLD, QR SILVER, SPG PLAT
To me this sounds more like :

"If economy is full, and business is wide open, upgrade your Y ticket to full fare, since you are gold/plat member, you will most probably get an op-up"

I think that could be just a way to get cash out of their op-ups. And that will frustrate a lot of us, who purchased the miserable W calss versus Y class.

Also, EK recently tends to block Y cabin with Y0 up to 7 days before the flight, when it becomes suddenly all Y class open. (and the flight would turn out not to be overbooked) This is I think to try to sell their J ticket, that lot of people cannot afford to buy anymore (e.g: DXB-HND; EK AED16 000 vs QR AED 7800).

Anyway, I do not think that never ever, EK would give such benefits to its gold+ members, it there wasn't any cash benefit for them, with the growing number of Gold members.

Good luck to all Gold members, as for me Fly Qatar/Etihad Hello Massive cost savings.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:57 pm

I think Antinori introducing "LH games" at EK will weaken EK in the long run. LH is the master when it comes to playing around with booking classes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.