Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Court rules alcohol permit needed to drink on EK flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:28 am

Best I can find is the Dubai Code of Conduct:
http://www.zu.ac.ae/employment/html/...nDubai_000.pdf

Drinking in designated areas only. Is the aircraft designated? Unlikely. But once again, you're only going to get in trouble if you're drunk and disorderly.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Thank you - I have seen that - there's a more readable version here: http://www.dubaifaqs.com/dubai-code-of-conduct.php

Unfortunately, that does not confirm a UAE based blanket ban, observed or not.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Thank you - I have seen that - there's a more readable version here: http://www.dubaifaqs.com/dubai-code-of-conduct.php

Unfortunately, that does not confirm a UAE based blanket ban, observed or not.
There is no ban...This clearly states the position:

"Alcohol consumption shall be confined to designated areas (i.e. licensed restaurants and venues that serve alcohol to their clients). Being caught under the effect of alcohol outside these places (even in light doses) can lead to a fine or incarceration."

You can also drink at home. The issue is that you can drink in those places but not be drunk outside them...so technically if you stagger out of a pub you are breaking the law...if you have a licence they won't be bothered bit if you don't you may be fined etc. This is the issue but it is not really enforced unless you do something else...

I have just had my re-newal through and will pay again - the risk is if you are caught up in a fight or other incident and have had a drink you will be prosecuted for not having a licence. No one checks the licence either unless you go to MMI or African and Eastern (off licence) where you need to show and scan to purchase alcohol.

No-one on EK will be asking me on Friday morning when I'll be chugging back some champagne on the way to KUL!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

It's obviously not a blanket ban otherwise hotels would not be able to sell it and a liqueur license would be of no use!! Blanket bans exist in Kuwait and Saudi.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Havoc10G
It's obviously not a blanket ban otherwise hotels would not be able to sell it and a liqueur license would be of no use!! Blanket bans exist in Kuwait and Saudi.
And Sharjah! Well. Apart from the airport and the sports club? And at home? Guess that isn't entirely blanket though
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
And Sharjah! Well. Apart from the airport and the sports club? And at home? Guess that isn't entirely blanket though
Under a blanket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.