Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Court rules alcohol permit needed to drink on EK flights

Old Jul 5, 14, 1:56 am
Original Poster

A Dubai court has ruled that passengers must obtain liquor permits before consuming alcohol on board aircraft registered in the UAE.

A spate of recent alcohol-related arrests across the emirates has underlined the dangers of drinking without a licence and crossing the line, not just in homes, restaurants and bars, but also on-board an aircraft.... The court ruled that he should have obtained a permit before consuming alcohol as the plane was registered in Dubai.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/ge...jail-1.1354977
Old Jul 5, 14, 2:03 am

Well done EK. Disgusting.

May I remind that while in the international airspace (i.e. in-flight), and once passed immigration control (i.e. duty free area), passengers are in the international airspace and are no longer governed by local laws or religions. Aircrafts do not enjoy the same legal status as embassies.

Last edited by Aquitania; Jul 5, 14 at 2:08 am Reason: Added legal explanation.
Old Jul 5, 14, 2:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Last Christmas, two Filipinos in Abu Dhabi were sentenced to three months in jail after they were found drinking alcohol without a licence. They were having a party at their home with friends when a neighbour complained to the police about the noise.

Zafeer said another Indian couple in Dubai, who were preparing for a weekend birthday party ended up in jail instead after police arrested them outside their apartment with boxes of liquor they had bought without a licence from Ajman.
I'm sure there is no profiling going on....
Old Jul 5, 14, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Aquitania View Post

May I remind that while in the international airspace (i.e. in-flight), and once passed immigration control (i.e. duty free area), passengers are in the international airspace and are no longer governed by local laws or religions. Aircrafts do not enjoy the same legal status as embassies.
Actually, according to the 1963 Tokyo Convention which pretty much every nation has ratified, as well as the 2014 Montreal Protocol amending the convention which is in the process of ratification, the State of Registration of the aircraft has jurisdiction over offences committed on board.

Not sure what EK as an airline has to do with this - this is entirely about the legal system of the UAE and its legal and technical consequences...
Old Jul 5, 14, 2:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I have a licence and so does me wife. Bring on the dom

Ps anyone who lives in dubai has no excuse to not have a licence to be honest. The only people who aren't allowed are Muslims so would ek go round asking what religion you are and checking licences?!!

Remember ek is state owned, they can do as they please but if they ever stopped serving booze they'd be in trouble!
Old Jul 5, 14, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post

Not sure what EK as an airline has to do with this - this is entirely about the legal system of the UAE and its legal and technical consequences...
Totally agree. The title of this thread needs to change as it's misleading.

The article clearly states
The drinking charge is usually supplementary.
Nothing to see here
Old Jul 5, 14, 3:48 am

Not true. For example tampering with the smoke detectors is an offence under the UAE federal laws. The location of the aircraft is irrelevant.
Old Jul 5, 14, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
I'm sure there is no profiling going on....
There isn't. From the article: 'British engineer being jailed in Dubai...' and 'American drummer of a popular heavy metal band was sentenced to...'
Old Jul 5, 14, 4:45 am

Programs: EK Pleb
Interesting.... How do you get the required licence when living outside of UAE?
I pity the poor FAs having to check each PAX licence during the trolley service.
Old Jul 5, 14, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post

+ 1

Emirates as an airline is purely an incidental part of this case.

Moral of the story is pretty simple. When in the UAE, or anywhere in the Gulf, or travelling on an aircraft .....BEHAVE.

Don't grope FA's, don't drink to excess, don't raise fingers to people at the airport. Follow the rules and you won't get into trouble.

Same as it ever was.
Old Jul 5, 14, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Oldtiger View Post
Interesting.... How do you get the required licence when living outside of UAE?
I pity the poor FAs having to check each PAX licence during the trolley service.
You can't get the required licence. There are a few news articles about the absurdity of the situation that most visitors who come to Dubai are breaking the law by drinking illegally, but are never informed of the fact, or in fact, have the law enforced on them - and that they can never technically comply with the letter of the law. It's not a situation that is unknown to the authorities and the UAE legal system. In practice, if you behave, everything is fine. But the moment you step out of line and alcohol is involved even incidentally, books may be thrown at you...
Old Jul 5, 14, 8:55 am

The moral of the story? Don't drink too much when in the UAE and act inappropriately. Even with a alcohol license you will be thrown in jail/fined. The fine/jail sentence might be less, but you will still be in trouble.

Same as before, nothing new to see...
Old Jul 5, 14, 9:50 am

Airlines are not ex-terra. They do not enjoy the same ex-terra status as embassies in foreign states. Once you step onboard an EK flight in New York, this does not mean that UAE laws prevail - you are still either in the US (while on the ground), or in the international airspace (while in the air) - but you are not in the UAE.

EK can say whatever they wish, but this is how it is.

Once you pass the immigration border in Dubai - that is another story already and yes, you must carry a licence if you enter the country intoxicated.

Tampering with smoke detectors is different - here one damages hard assets of an airline.
Old Jul 5, 14, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red View Post
The only people who aren't allowed are Muslims
Not true. You are also not eligible for an alcohol license if your employment contract states a base salary under AED3000/month. Additionally, you have to obtain an NOC/approval stamp from your employer, which is not always straightforward.
Old Jul 5, 14, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Airlines are not ex-terra. They do not enjoy the same ex-terra status as embassies in foreign states. Once you step onboard an EK flight in New York, this does not mean that UAE laws prevail - you are still either in the US (while on the ground), or in the international airspace (while in the air) - but you are not in the UAE.

EK can say whatever they wish, but this is how it is.

Once you pass the immigration border in Dubai - that is another story already and yes, you must carry a licence if you enter the country intoxicated.

Tampering with smoke detectors is different - here one damages hard assets of an airline.
Laws of the registering country are applicable to an airline when in international airspace. The UAE may well indeed not be able to make an extra territorial law governing , say, an EU carrier, but airline can be required to comply with laws of its country

Search this Thread
Search Engine: