Search

Check in closure time in BKK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Check in closure time in BKK

Hi!

I'm taking my first EK flights later this year to Thailand. On my way home ex-BKK, I'm leaving on EK 373 departing at 2040. On the EK website, it says that you have to check in 90 minutes beforehand if you have luggage (I will). Is this a very strict time limit, or a guide? 90 minutes seems like a long time for "final" check in.

I'm in the process of booking my flight back from the beach to connect to EK, and there is a flight that lands at 1705, so 3h35m before departure. I guess this is safe, but if they are running late, will EK accomodate me if I get to the check in desk with less than 90 minutes before departure?

I saw that they say check in closes 60 mins before departure with hand luggage only, so the desks will be open. Will they just refuse someone with checked bags, say, 75 minutes before departure?

I'm in economy and only EK Blue!

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
90minutes seems quite reasonable for check-in for somebody with checked luggage at most airports - I certainly wouldn't say this was extreme. Some airports are 60minutes but 90minutes I think is the norm.

In terms of your connection, if the flight is with EK or on the same ticket then yes they will 'look after you' so to speak if you miss departure. However, the fact you've mentioned the checkin desk suggests you need to collect your bags and re-check them in which might mean the flights are on separate tickets. Therefore Emirates won't accommodate you, see you as a no show, and cancel your ticket. If you wish to travel you will probably be expected to pay for another ticket. If you are worried about this I would suggest getting good travel insurance which covers situations such as this.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Since you are making 2 separate bookings there is no guaranteed safe time . 3.5 hours should be plenty of time to get across and check in for the EK flight however if you are delayed and miss it, neither airline will be responsible for getting you home from Bangkok

what you might want to check is what the change fees/penalties are for no show in case the worst happens ; if it is a completely inflexible booking, I would probably err on earlier still but if the penalty should the onward flight isnt too bad, then stick with the 3:30 connection
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
I saw that they say check in closes 60 mins before departure with hand luggage only, so the desks will be open. Will they just refuse someone with checked bags, say, 75 minutes before departure?
Not sure about BKK as I usually get there early, but the 60 minutes probably refers to on line check in being available up until this cut off time.

The desks will close at 90 minutes.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Seems like EK are rather strict in this regard. I might book an earlier flight up from Krabi.

Originally Posted by marconess
90minutes seems quite reasonable for check-in for somebody with checked luggage at most airports - I certainly wouldn't say this was extreme. Some airports are 60minutes but 90minutes I think is the norm.
Sure, checking in 90 mins in advance is normal, but closing the desk isn't. Case in point, in BKK, Thai close international flight check in 30 mins ahead, SQ close at 40 mins, Cathay 40 mins, KLM 60 mins, Air France 60 mins, QR 60 mins....not many closeat T-90!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:40 am
Original Poster

I just found this on the Bangkok Airways website:
"Bangkok Airways passengers having onward journey to some international destinations with participating carriers can choose to check through their baggage to final destination and complete immigration formality at ...Phuket.. Passengers are then required to remain in the transfer area at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Participating Carriers for Baggage Through Check
....Emirates (EK)....

For more convenience, Bangkok Airways passengers with flight connections on the following carriers can obtain their boarding passes for their onward flights upon checking in with Bangkok Airways"

So it looks like I might be able to get my bag checked through from Phuket all the way to London via DXB and BKK....That would certainly make the journey less stressful, even if the connection isn't guarenteed, at least I would only need to worry about getting to the gate in BKK by T-20, rather than getting to check in at T-90. That gives an extra hour of contingency. Has anyone tries this before?

http://www.bangkokair.com/pages/view/check-in-through
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:14 am

Actually, the desks are pretty much always open at BKK But to answer your question the flight closes at T-60, you will need to be checked in with a boarding pass then, and baggage dropped off or already in the system. You might be able to get a BP at HKT for EK and then pass through immigration formalities at HKT. However, there are airside transit desks for EK (look for Transit East/West signs) - if you can't find one open at the closest Domestic/International transit area, you can go to the D,E,F,G concourse junction on level three which is generally always manned, especially close to departure times. If you pass through immigration formalities at HKT, you'll get a CIQ sticker which you must not take off!
Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:15 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by shefgab
I just found this on the Bangkok Airways website:
"Bangkok Airways passengers having onward journey to some international destinations with participating carriers can choose to check through their baggage to final destination and complete immigration formality at ...Phuket.. Passengers are then required to remain in the transfer area at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Participating Carriers for Baggage Through Check
....Emirates (EK)....

For more convenience, Bangkok Airways passengers with flight connections on the following carriers can obtain their boarding passes for their onward flights upon checking in with Bangkok Airways"

So it looks like I might be able to get my bag checked through from Phuket all the way to London via DXB and BKK....That would certainly make the journey less stressful, even if the connection isn't guarenteed, at least I would only need to worry about getting to the gate in BKK by T-20, rather than getting to check in at T-90. That gives an extra hour of contingency. Has anyone tries this before?

http://www.bangkokair.com/pages/view/check-in-through
Yes, you can interline PG to EK. Done it before from USM to DXB via BKK.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:53 am

On another note, EK actually fly to HKT - that might be an option? Depends on your change fee and schedule, of course, to see whether this is worth it.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
On another note, EK actually fly to HKT - that might be an option? Depends on your change fee and schedule, of course, to see whether this is worth it.
Sadly, i've already bought my flights into/out of BKK, so won't be able to swap them (cheaply). Hopefully the Bangkok Air/Emirates bag connection works.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: EK (G), VS (G), EY (G), BA (B) & HH (D)
From posts above, it appears Bangkok Air will check your luggage through on to EK but not all airlines would do that. Last year, BA refused to check mine onto EK when connecting at SIN.

There are couple of other poinjts you should be aware of. (i) You are assuming your local (HKT) flight would leave / arrive on time or won't get cancelled. When connecting from one airline to another, I always try to ensure there is sufficient time for 'plan B'; i.e. there is another flight operated by the same carrier to get me to the connecting airport should the flight I am booked on is cancelled or I could buy a new ticket on a different carrier and still make the connection. (ii) Do not assume your luggage will get transferred to EK at BKK automatically. Give the luggage tag to the EK ground staff at the Transfer desk and ask them to key-in the tag number into your booking and ensure your luggage will be transferred. I will also check at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.