Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:54 pm
uwr
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Interesting article on DXB and EK

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/19/bu...e.html?hp&_r=0
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Ok so we can have a US pre clearance facility at DXB but not at LHR? Is it any wonder, aside from the bickering over a clearly necessary third runway that LHR has been overtaken?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I think the issue delaying preclearance at LHR is the logistics. Flights to the US are often and out of every terminal on different airlines. The amount of flights from the Dubai to the US are much fewer and dominated by 1 airline. Same can be said with AUH. Dublin and Shannon do service multiple destinations with in the US and multiple airlines but nowhere near the level of LHR.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I think the issue delaying preclearance at LHR is the logistics. Flights to the US are often and out of every terminal on different airlines. The amount of flights from the Dubai to the US are much fewer and dominated by 1 airline. Same can be said with AUH. Dublin and Shannon do service multiple destinations with in the US and multiple airlines but nowhere near the level of LHR.
You'd probably need a US-bound terminal to make that work in LHR.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Not much "interesting" here. Usual promotional article.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by grahampros
Not much "interesting" here. Usual promotional article.
Except for this bit:

It helped too that the chairman and chief executive of Emirates, Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed al-Maktoum, is also chairman of Dubai Airports, president of the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority, and chairman of Flydubai, a low-cost carrier. He is also the uncle of the current ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mmff
Except for this bit:
yes Dubai and EK are les and bounds ahead of most airlines and airports.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Its unbelievable whats gone on at DXB and how fast. I moved here to Dubai in 1999 (just 15 hers ago) at the time, there were NO jet ways, just a small box like terminal with spotty AC at best. Those old style buses would take you to/from the terminal to the aircraft and the first class lounge was a small square room, with no windows, a small selection of hot or cold appetizers and a self serve bar. But the airline itself was wonderful then, even though that was back in the day of 2-2-2 first class cradle seats (almost lay flat)......If someone told me that a few short years later they would build T-1, then T-3 and T-3 Satellite I would have told them they were crazy.

The ply thing that has not improved and probably never will is the traffic to/from DXB. Even in 99, there was just 1 road crossing the Creek and if there was an accident (to in one case a water main break), it could take you 2-3 hours to get to Jumeirah Beach..........now there are more roads, trains, buses all over the place but they just can't keep up with the growth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.