Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Automated Target Recognition Machines for Security Checks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold

Just noticed the use of Automated Target Recognition machines at DXB for security checks, the same ones that are used by TSA in the USA. Is just DXB getting a security upgrade, or a sign of DXB gearing up for US Preclearance?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Can you clarify what kind of machines you saw? I believe there's ATR add-ons for baggage x-ray (rather than just the x-ray image, software highlights things that might be a gun, knife, etc).

I hope they're not installing not body scanners. The software for "privacy" on the body scanners is meant to automatically identify where there's an "anomaly". (Not that it's that effective at protecting privacy or that accurate at identifying anomalies, but that's a discussion for another forum.)

What would be the link to US Preclearance; are airports with Preclearance required to have TSA-style "security"?

(Sigh. I was really starting to enjoy EK and DXB. Might need to go back to another airline if they're going to screw it up.)
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

I went through one of these....
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada
In Dubai? Which security area?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by jackiedada
Oh [long string of very bad words], that's the body scanner.

Were you flying to the US?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
I believe there's a difference between the "naked scanners" and the more recent Automated Target Recognition Machines which just show a diagram and highlight the suspicious item.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...netration.html

Do you know which kind it was?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:16 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
It was only a matter of time. Was this at transit security, or the security after check-in at the departures level?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by extramileage
I believe there's a difference between the "naked scanners" and the more recent Automated Target Recognition Machines which just show a diagram and highlight the suspicious item.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...netration.html

Do you know which kind it was?
I believe it was the one where you got to see the cartoon image with external objects in person being marked in a different color. Not sure if they would attempt the full body scanner in an Islamic country...
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xlr
It was only a matter of time. Was this at transit security, or the security after check-in at the departures level?
Transit security. Probably undergoing trials before being adopted across all security checkpoints?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.