Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Watch as an Emirates A380 is Struck by Lightning While Flying Over BNE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:31 am
Used to be 'FTcadence'
Original Poster

The weather conditions above Brisbane look less than friendly in the video. On the ground, the airport was experiencing delays and ramp closures.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/travel/tr...-1226792012774
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:00 am
Used to be 'sido21'

Programs: SkyTeam Elite Plus & Stargold
didnt look at spectacular as i had pictured in my mind..
still happy everything went fine
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Wrong link from the home page.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by TravelingPeanut
The weather conditions above Brisbane look less than friendly in the video. On the ground, the airport was experiencing delays and ramp closures.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/travel/tr...-1226792012774
Vid shows lightening in the vicinity of the plane. How does on conclude it struck the plane?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Years ago I was on a KLM 767 that was struck by lightening as we were nearing approach to AMS. Loud noise inside the plane, bright light through the windows. A few minutes later, well probably seconds, but it seemed a long time, the captain announces that the plane was struck but that all is fine.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:31 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Indeed, if the link is the plane mentioned by the OP, then its obvious this plane was not hit by lightning.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:35 pm

Can't tell if it was a strike or just lightning in the background. Lame reporting! The reporter should have tried to get some info from Emirates.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by leonidas
Can't tell if it was a strike or just lightning in the background. Lame reporting! The reporter should have tried to get some info from Emirates.
Report wasn't too bad as it never claimed the plane was struck.

a jet appeared to fly straight into a bolt of lighting over Brisbane Airport.
and the video was subtitled
Plane dodges lightning strikes
This thread is just badly titled.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by ft101
Plane dodges lightning strikes
Not just the thread was badly titled. The plane didn't dodge anything - it flew a perfectly straight course. Dodging requires changing direction.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Dodging requires changing direction.
I took it as in "dodge a bullet" so not literally dodging.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, BA Executive Club Bronze
I was on a flight a few years ago LHR to BOM which was struck by lightning shortly after take-off during angry storms over West London - by coincidence I was seated near the the wing on the RHS of the plane and was looking out of the window as the wing was hit. Safe to say that a few vodka tonics were required before I calmed down (and it was a good couple of hours before I could close my eyes without seeing a big white line burned across my retinas).

Similar to the previous poster, after about ten minutes or so the captain announced that the plane had been hit, but that all was well and a full systems check had revealed no damage - further that it had happened "two or three times" in his career, with the only damage incurred coming on one occasion when the carpet in F was set on fire (ho ho ho).

When we landed in BOM the plane was parked away from the terminal close to a large maintenance hangar for a full checkover, which I think is a regulatory requirement following a strike. Pax were bussed away into the welcoming arms (ho ho ho again) of BOM arrivals...
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by HMPS
Vid shows lightening in the vicinity of the plane. How does on conclude it struck the plane?
Yes, as you can see the video. The lightning did not strike the plane. They are very lucky that they didn't struck by lightning. No one got damage the plane. It is good thing to avoid by lightning.

Last edited by N830MH; Jan 1, 2014 at 11:19 pm
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, as you can see the video. The lightning did not strike the plane. They are very lucky that they didn't struck by lightning. Nobody who got damaged.
No one would have been hurt if the lightning had hit the aeroplane; no luck required since the fuselage is designed to protect against lightning strike

If not convinced that lightning hit the aeroplane in that example, http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/lightni...ry?id=13586763 with an example of an EK A380 being hit by lightning as it approached London

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.