Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai Connect Query

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Dubai Connect Query

Hey all! I've been a lurker on FT for a while and wanted to say thanks for all the help you guys here have been!

I have a trip coming up ACC-DXB-BOM-BKK-MLE-ACC on revenue J. There are 2 EK flights leaving MLE, one at 10AM and one at 11PM. Check-out time in the resort is 12.30PM sharp (manager insists on this as they are apparently very full) which would mean that I would be stranded in MLE for a good 10.5 hours if I were to take the 11PM.

However, if I were to take the 10AM flight I would have an 18 hour layover in DXB till my flight to ACC. Would this make me eligible for Dubai Connect despite there being a later flight leaving MLE? My travel agent insists that because of the later flight being offered I am not eligible. Just wanted to hear it from you guys before I believe it.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited by EK788; Dec 3, 2013 at 8:57 am
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by EK788
However, if I were to take the 10AM flight I would have an 18 hour layover in DXB till my flight to ACC. Would this make me eligible for Dubai Connect despite there being a later flight leaving MLE?
My guess is that your travel agent may be right as their is a later departure that still connects to your flight to ACC. Best would be to try a dummy booking and see if "Eligible for Dubai Connect" shows in the connection during the booking process. Or call up Skywards to confirm.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:59 pm

This has been debated in depth on here before.

I think I disagreed at the time, but the consensus was that taking an earlier flight does not rule you out from Dubai Connect going by the Ts and Cs.

It might be different in practice however, and there is also the Minimum Fare criteria now which could kick in but is not published.

As above, try calling them. If you are turned down, ask for the reason and let us know.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
As said above, the agreement seems to be that you would qualify. However, this can always change.

However, if the Dubai Connect option does not show up on MMB, I think it is very unlikely EK would offer the service if they had to do it manually.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
I called and spoke with an EK rep who told me that it doesn't matter what flight I take from my origin.. I'm eligible as long as I have >6 hours layover while taking the next connecting flight from DXB.

Thanks guys!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Originally Posted by EK788
I called and spoke with an EK rep who told me that it doesn't matter what flight I take from my origin.. I'm eligible as long as I have >6 hours layover while taking the next connecting flight from DXB.

Thanks guys!
This is maddening! I, too, called Emirates' recently and was told that it DID matter what flight I took from my origin and since there was a later flight which would still allow me to connect at DXB onto the same flight Dubai Connect was not an option.

The Terms and Conditions refer to the length of time spent at DXB and the first available onward flight. It was with this in mind that I chose my flights.

I am particularly aggrieved because as a Gold member travelling an enormous distance in F, I expect better treatment.

Should I simply ring again, hoping to speak with the same agent as "EK788"?!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Seat64A
This is maddening! I, too, called Emirates' recently and was told that it DID matter what flight I took from my origin and since there was a later flight which would still allow me to connect at DXB onto the same flight Dubai Connect was not an option.
That's what I recall the local Skywards folks at BOM informing me earlier this year when I was planning my trip to CDG.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Seat64A

Should I simply ring again, hoping to speak with the same agent as "EK788"?!
If you can book your ticket there on the spot and the agent can confirm the connect service, then yes. Otherwise, you will be at the mercy of a different agent once you have booked and called back.

If your booking is already confirmed and ticketed, then go to MMB and see if the service is listed as being offered. If it isn't, I guess it won't hurt to call EK again and hope for a different answer.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:01 pm

I have a similar issue where I have a 14hr lay over in Dubai with no option for 'dubai connect'. Called them and was told that I should have taken a later flight from JFK to Dubai at which point I told them that it's not what their booking site says and also that I am flying into JFK from small town in GA so there are other connections that I had to make also.
This is my 1st experience with emirates, haven't flown yet and am already dissapointed with their customer service.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by km2013
I have a similar issue where I have a 14hr lay over in Dubai with no option for 'dubai connect'. Called them and was told that I should have taken a later flight from JFK to Dubai at which point I told them that it's not what their booking site says and also that I am flying into JFK from small town in GA so there are other connections that I had to make also.
This is my 1st experience with emirates, haven't flown yet and am already dissapointed with their customer service.
Every twelve months or so I try to get help from customer service to see if I should reset my expectations of their ability or desire to assist from a zero to a higher number on the scale. They have never given me any reason to do so, so it remains set at zero and thus I am never disappointed.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
The thing is, if the Terms and Conditions said I was not eligible, I'd say "fair enough". Nice though the First lounge is, you can't get a decent shower there and need the hotel room (5 minutes' water on the A380 is simply not enough!).

Added to which is the apparent inconsistency of a poster above being allowed to book Dubai Connect in seemingly identical circunstances.

I intend trying again and will keep you posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.