Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A few questions.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG
A few questions.

Probably they figure it isn't worth the hassle for them as so few would qualify for plat. Anyway travelling in Y won't kill you if you can't get an upgrade!
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Ahmed777
But why isn't there Platinum for us? It is such a demented rule! They really need to revise the Skysurfers programme now. Besides, what was the need to create a whole new one for teenagers anyways? It is just irritating as we are not allowed to get op-ups, we don't get the same treatment, we are still considered children, etc.

Just a nuisance for everyone.
I thought that once a 'skysurfer' becomes 12 years old they are classed as an adult? It's my understanding that the adult fare is charged once 12 years old - is that not correct?
And if the full adult price is charged then I agree that the child should be entitled to full skywards benefits.
I wasn't aware that there had been any changes - can anyone post the link please?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Plat(Soon to be gold), HHonors Silver, Amex Gold
Northumberland, the Skysurfers program is 18+.
Legal adult for most of the world.
No platinum for the very reason someone stated - its purely not worth the effort. Why introduce it when I imagine there will be only a handful of travelers whom will attain this status and we know it was only introduced to skywards after the QF/EK pair up. How long that will have remained though will of been interesting to know.
My my you do fly an awful lot - do you go to school??
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Originally Posted by DXBFlyer
Northumberland, the Skysurfers program is 18+.
Legal adult for most of the world.
No platinum for the very reason someone stated - its purely not worth the effort. Why introduce it when I imagine there will be only a handful of travelers whom will attain this status and we know it was only introduced to skywards after the QF/EK pair up. How long that will have remained though will of been interesting to know.
My my you do fly an awful lot - do you go to school??
So if it is not worth the fort for them, why do we, even though there are a few only, make the effort to fly Emirates as much as possible? If they couldn't be bothered then why are we?

The other poster brought up an interesting fact though - we pay adult fares but are treated as children. That is quite an annoying thing about airlines...

Yes, I do go to school. And, on top of that, I make the top 10 students academically in the province (about 10 000 000 people). I also came 16th in the Biology world Olympiad. I only fly in the holidays and try my best not to miss school for travel.

I just earn alot as I fly from DUR-DXB for everything - a very long flight itself - and onto LHR about 10 times a year.

I also go to JFK quite often so that boosts it up considerably. I really enjoy travelling (mostly flights though). Besides, who travels for the the destination anyways?

So I guess I have to wait until 18 just to enjoy the benefits of something we've already invested so much in.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Is it my OCD that makes me ...
Um....yes I think you hit the nail on the head. OCD much? Relax and take a few deep breaths Ahmed. Stress has been known to cause premature death! ;-)
Old Nov 15, 2013, 4:40 pm

I'm afraid I have to agree with Ahmed on this one - from the age of 12 you pay adult fare - surely then you are entitled to be treated as an adult, however that doesn't happen. So EK need to either stop charging adult fares for over 12's and keep skywards as it is, or allow 'young adults' (pains me to as that with a nearly 12 yr old) to be treated as the FULL FARE PAYING passengers that they are,
Seems EK I are ting to have it both ways!
Old Nov 16, 2013, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Plat(Soon to be gold), HHonors Silver, Amex Gold
So if it is not worth the fort for them, why do we, even though there are a few only, make the effort to fly Emirates as much as possible? If they couldn't be bothered then why are we?

The other poster brought up an interesting fact though - we pay adult fares but are treated as children. That is quite an annoying thing about airlines...

Yes, I do go to school. And, on top of that, I make the top 10 students academically in the province (about 10 000 000 people). I also came 16th in the Biology world Olympiad. I only fly in the holidays and try my best not to miss school for travel.

I just earn alot as I fly from DUR-DXB for everything - a very long flight itself - and onto LHR about 10 times a year.

I also go to JFK quite often so that boosts it up considerably. I really enjoy travelling (mostly flights though). Besides, who travels for the the destination anyways?

So I guess I have to wait until 18 just to enjoy the benefits of something we've already invested so much in.

Ahmed - Because financially it does not make sense. There will be simply not enough of the Plat Skysurfer travelers.
Yes you do pay adult fares - however untill the age of 13 if you're traveling on ID tix and you're parents are entitled to J or F travel, you are not because of age.
Listen - I see where you're coming from with your point, however - you are still LEGALLY not an adult by statute of law. You cannot vote, you cannot be held responsible in a court for crimes committed by an adult, you are not able to buy alcohol etc etc.
There is a disparity between adults in maturity and age and adults in terms of being charged and its not just airlines - hotels do the same thing.
Enjoy the privileged position you are in clearly for the time being. Most adults will tell you to enjoy your childhood, take it as it comes. Don't wish to be an adult if you're not because there is plenty more responsibility that comes with it. I apologise if this sounds slightly patronising but its true, enjoy being a kid.
Besides - I'm sure all these tickets are not coming from your work and grime, I imagine your parents are paying for the tickets.
When I mentioned regarding the school - clearly you're far more intelligent than I am and far more talented than I am, take the question for what it was - a question, no need to get defensive.
Good for you that you get to travel so often and up the front, as a kid I was able to travel up the front.
I travel for both though, the enjoyment of the journey like in the old days of aviation but also where I'm going to!
Once you're an adult you can do virtually what you want - but until that point
you're still not an adult legally and that takes precedent.
On a side note - Havoc is right, I don't know you and you may travel in J because of upgrades etc, but speaking from my own experience, you appreciate J a lot more when you've had to travel by Y. So as he put it, it wont kill ya

Originally Posted by Northumberland Lady
I'm afraid I have to agree with Ahmed on this one - from the age of 12 you pay adult fare - surely then you are entitled to be treated as an adult, however that doesn't happen. So EK need to either stop charging adult fares for over 12's and keep skywards as it is, or allow 'young adults' (pains me to as that with a nearly 12 yr old) to be treated as the FULL FARE PAYING passengers that they are,
Seems EK I are ting to have it both ways!
M'lady, EK is no different to I'd say the vast majority of airlines worldwide. I'm not defending EK here, you have more chance of finding a golden needle in a haystack than me defending EK as a corporation. However this is policy worldwide for most airlines, hotels are no different!
Besides, I'm sure you're well aware that some 12 year olds are bigger than some adults.
There may be FF programs out there that afford children the same benefits as adults before they're 18 but I imagine they are few and far between.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG
A few questions.

In the long run its better for your development. You will end up a badly adjusted kid with an entitlement complex. You should rough it and feel hard done by. You will thank EK later!
Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cakiwi
Um....yes I think you hit the nail on the head. OCD much? Relax and take a few deep breaths Ahmed. Stress has been known to cause premature death! ;-)
It's fine, my parents are doctors! I don't stress, I just would like to be given what I am entitled to!

Originally Posted by DXBFlyer

Ahmed - Because financially it does not make sense. There will be simply not enough of the Plat Skysurfer travelers.
Yes you do pay adult fares - however untill the age of 13 if you're traveling on ID tix and you're parents are entitled to J or F travel, you are not because of age.
Listen - I see where you're coming from with your point, however - you are still LEGALLY not an adult by statute of law. You cannot vote, you cannot be held responsible in a court for crimes committed by an adult, you are not able to buy alcohol etc etc.
There is a disparity between adults in maturity and age and adults in terms of being charged and its not just airlines - hotels do the same thing.
Enjoy the privileged position you are in clearly for the time being. Most adults will tell you to enjoy your childhood, take it as it comes. Don't wish to be an adult if you're not because there is plenty more responsibility that comes with it. I apologise if this sounds slightly patronising but its true, enjoy being a kid.
Besides - I'm sure all these tickets are not coming from your work and grime, I imagine your parents are paying for the tickets.
When I mentioned regarding the school - clearly you're far more intelligent than I am and far more talented than I am, take the question for what it was - a question, no need to get defensive.
Good for you that you get to travel so often and up the front, as a kid I was able to travel up the front.
I travel for both though, the enjoyment of the journey like in the old days of aviation but also where I'm going to!
Once you're an adult you can do virtually what you want - but until that point
you're still not an adult legally and that takes precedent.
On a side note - Havoc is right, I don't know you and you may travel in J because of upgrades etc, but speaking from my own experience, you appreciate J a lot more when you've had to travel by Y. So as he put it, it wont kill ya

M'lady, EK is no different to I'd say the vast majority of airlines worldwide. I'm not defending EK here, you have more chance of finding a golden needle in a haystack than me defending EK as a corporation. However this is policy worldwide for most airlines, hotels are no different!
Besides, I'm sure you're well aware that some 12 year olds are bigger than some adults.
There may be FF programs out there that afford children the same benefits as adults before they're 18 but I imagine they are few and far between.
You do have some good points, although, I still believe that Skysurfers members should be entitled to Platinum. It's not just that, it's that the website is horrendous and hasn't been updated in years, the service is poor, and, you are not allowed to do anything without your parents writing a letter, signing it, and forwarding it to Emirates. It just gets really frustrating as my parents are divorced and EK demands things from both of them. They really need to revise the whole Skysurfers system - that cannot be argued with.

Also, as I mentioned before, I fund my travel myself. I earn the money and I use it - I do know and understand the value of it.

Originally Posted by Havoc10G
In the long run its better for your development. You will end up a badly adjusted kid with an entitlement complex. You should rough it and feel hard done by. You will thank EK later!
I don't mind travelling in Y - really, I don't. It's just that after about 10 flights in Y and saving up to upgrade the next few - it's really annoying that I can't.

On another note, I called again and got told "sorry, we have no available sets at the moment. Please keep trying and hopefully something will open up." In their defence, the guy was really friendly and helpful, it's just the airline that is putting profits over customer satisfaction...

Last edited by Ahmed777; Nov 16, 2013 at 6:16 am Reason: Spelling errors.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Sorry, I forgot to add another question:

6) I am travelling with my grandparents on this trip. They both do not travel regularly so it would be silly to create a Skywards account for them. Is it possible that me, a SkySurfers member, could earn their miles? Even if it is that 20% shenanigan, it is better than nothing at all! So it would equate to 40% bonus miles for me!

Is this do-able?
Have you signed up for the referral program? Not sure if it is open to Skysurfers, but if so, you can earn a credit for your grandparents first flight as a Skywards member.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whimike
Have you signed up for the referral program? Not sure if it is open to Skysurfers, but if so, you can earn a credit for your grandparents first flight as a Skywards member.
No, but I used my stepfathers account and referred them so he can get the miles. He only has 14000 so it would be good for him to get those.^
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, HHonours Gold, BAEC Silver
I reckon EK are singling out Master 777 as they caught him pinching a set of noise cancelling headphones one time.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by Raptor23
I reckon EK are singling out Master 777 as they caught him pinching a set of noise cancelling headphones one time.
Come on. Give the poor kid a break. They shouldn't have 'gifted' it to him in the first place. Moreover they have started collecting them before landing as well.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Come on. Give the poor kid a break. They shouldn't have 'gifted' it to him in the first place. Moreover they have started collecting them before landing as well.
She told me to keep them - so I did. they broke on one of my flights in September, cheap things I reckon! Or just Karma...
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
She told me to keep them - so I did. they broke on one of my flights in September, cheap things I reckon! Or just Karma...
I thought they took them back off you accused you of being a thief and threw you into a Dubai jail?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.