A few questions.

Old Nov 14, 13, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Smile A few questions.

Hello all.

I have a few questions for the professionals on EK:

1) I am a SkySurfers member. Now, I qualify for platinum (doing 145 000 miles this year). It doesn't seem as if we are allowed to move up to this tier. If so, why not?

2) I am currently "gold" (should be platinum). I have been Gold for two consecutive years now and still haven't received a card for it. Why not? Is this normal for a SkySurfer or should I query this? If so, how?

3) I am flying from DUR-JNB-JED this December. We will be staying in Swissotel for the first six nights. On the EK website, they claim that you earn 500 miles for "every eligible stay" there. Does this mean 500 miles per night (so 3000 in total), or just 500 for the total stay, regardless of the length of the stay? We are booked in a Junior Suite if that helps.

4) How do you claim the miles from this hotel stay? Can you do so at check-in or afterwards by filling out a form on the Ek website.

5) We have booked two Suites in the Swissotel. Will this allow me, the only Skywards member on the booking, take the miles for both rooms? Is this possible?

Thanks I know some knowledgable people here at EK are laughing at my silly questions!
Old Nov 14, 13, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I forgot to add another question:

6) I am travelling with my grandparents on this trip. They both do not travel regularly so it would be silly to create a Skywards account for them. Is it possible that me, a SkySurfers member, could earn their miles? Even if it is that 20% shenanigan, it is better than nothing at all! So it would equate to 40% bonus miles for me!

Is this do-able?
Old Nov 14, 13, 1:17 pm

1) http://www.emirates.com/uk/english/h...earchText=gold
Old Nov 14, 13, 1:24 pm

Lucky you.

500 miles per stay means per visit. So only 500 miles for the person who made the booking, not per person staying at the hotel!

Please quote your skywards number at the time of booking and check-in.

Sorry I can't be of help for the other questions
Old Nov 14, 13, 2:09 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by jamjaruk View Post
Lucky you.

500 miles per stay means per visit. So only 500 miles for the person who made the booking, not per person staying at the hotel!

Please quote your skywards number at the time of booking and check-in.

Sorry I can't be of help for the other questions
And then don't be surprised if the 500 miles don't post.

OP... You'd be better off joining the Swisshotel scheme (assuming there is one), and getting points rather than 500 miles.
Old Nov 14, 13, 2:39 pm

Can't the OP earn both?
Old Nov 14, 13, 7:57 pm

Programs: Platinum : Amex | Gold : EK SPG Carlson | Basic : PriorityPass AF UA BA Hilton Accor Hyatt iHG
Hilton HHonors is one of rare if not the only program that double dip...
Old Nov 14, 13, 9:09 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
1) ft101 already posted the relevant link. No idea why though. It's 150k, not 145k.

2) Doesn't really matter. You hardly ever need the card. You can log in and print out a temporary one to be on the safe side.

3) 500 total.

4) Give your Skysurfer number at check-in in the hotel.

5) Probably not. Ask, but don't expect them to say yes.

6) That would definitely work as Skywards, don't know about Skysurfer. Try this link: http://www.emirates.com/account/engl...w.emirates.com to sign them up.
Old Nov 14, 13, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Turicus View Post
1) ft101 already posted the relevant link. No idea why though. It's 150k, not 145k.

2) Doesn't really matter. You hardly ever need the card. You can log in and print out a temporary one to be on the safe side.

3) 500 total.

4) Give your Skysurfer number at check-in in the hotel.

5) Probably not. Ask, but don't expect them to say yes.

6) That would definitely work as Skywards, don't know about Skysurfer. Try this link: http://www.emirates.com/account/engl...w.emirates.com to sign them up.
Thanks for your answers and link.

I will make platinum in December when I travel DUR-LHR. I also have the JNB-JED-CPT booked in December. I will earn 18000 for them both so I will be sitting on 163000 tier miles with some change.

Also, has anyone else noticed that it has become nearly impossible to get an upgrade seat these days? Is it my OCD that makes me try months in advance or can you get them closer to departure? Since all my holiday travel is in Y this year I was saving everything I had for this trip -- to be told that there isn't availability.

I have about 200000 miles in my account that I need to us by next August and can't seem to get a seat. When I call I get the same message: "Sorry, Ahmed777, but there are no upgrade seats available on any of your EIGHT flights this holiday. Please call us closer to departure or in two weeks when more seats are released."

Does this work? I have been calling bi-weekly since June now and can't get ONE measly upgrade seat!

Bonkers!
Old Nov 14, 13, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

But why isn't there Platinum for us? It is such a demented rule! They really need to revise the Skysurfers programme now. Besides, what was the need to create a whole new one for teenagers anyways? It is just irritating as we are not allowed to get op-ups, we don't get the same treatment, we are still considered children, etc.

Just a nuisance for everyone.
Old Nov 14, 13, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Turicus, your link did not work. When i tried logging in I got: "Sorry, a Skysurfers member is not eligible to log in to book online."

THIS IS WHAT I MEAN, PEOPLE!
Old Nov 14, 13, 11:01 pm

Yes, we all noticed a lot less upgrades are available. And yes, they do open up closer to the flight, maybe 2 weeks out. Keep trying.

As for Plat and logging in to book: However mature you may feel, you are still legally a child. You will have lots of opportunities to experience it all once you turn 18.
Old Nov 15, 13, 1:09 am

How old are you? If you are over 18, get your account changed to skywards proper
Old Nov 15, 13, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Turicus View Post
The answer to "Why?" was because the answer to question 1 clearly states there is no Platinum level for Skysurfers.

Skysurfers members can move to Silver and Gold tiers in exactly the same way as Emirates Skywards members. However, there is no equivalent Platinum tier for Skysurfers members.
Old Nov 15, 13, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
The answer to "Why?" was because the answer to question 1 clearly states there is no Platinum level for Skysurfers.
I meant to say I don't know the "why?" behind not letting Skysurfers attain Plat. I was guessing it's contracts with minors, but the website doesn't give details.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: