Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheese board in F - cost cutting

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Cheese board in F - cost cutting

This is a favourite item on the menu whether I am hungry or want something to snack on.

For those who are not familiar with it, it's a selection of 5 cheeses on a wooden board, with some nuts, grapes, veggies (celery, carrots), and dried fruit (usually figs). Crackers are served next to the plate.

I have had this both short haul, mid haul and long haul, in the past year:
DXB-BEY (last year): good serving size, cheese is of excellent quality, side components fresh and plentiful
SIN-MEL (early this year): good serving size, ditto to cheese quality, side components are OK (grapes were exceptional)
MEL-DXB (last month): tiny serving size, cheese quality is so so, side components are non existent save for: THREE grapes, ONE tiny dried fig, and two dull celery/carrot sticks

The story of saving millions by cutting down on the number of olives in a salad bowl springs to mind.

When I get the time, i will hunt down pics of this platter and post them. I am relying on memory here. In the mean time, if any of you is flying F sometime soon and get to ask for this platter, please snap a pic of it. Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Here is a snap from that SIN-MEL sector:
Old Jul 11, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
I flew in J DUS -DXB some days ago and got a cheese platter that fits your description. Wooden plate, five types of cheese (3 hard + 2 soft), grapes and 3-4 dried apricots. 4-5 crackers on a separate plate. Too bad I didn't take a picture!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Could be a plating error. In DXB-LGW last month and the cheeseboard that my wife was served was quite similar to your pic.Could it be a plating error by the crew??

AFAIK most F food is put on a plate/board by the crew.I'm not sure if the F cheeseboard comes prepacked in cling film and the crew just remove the film and serve.

On.the other hand I usually ask for a some brie, grapes.and apricots and that's served on a similar board.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Could be a plating error. In DXB-LGW last month and the cheeseboard that my wife was served was quite similar to your pic.Could it be a plating error by the crew??

AFAIK most F food is put on a plate/board by the crew.I'm not sure if the F cheeseboard comes prepacked in cling film and the crew just remove the film and serve.

On.the other hand I usually ask for a some brie, grapes.and apricots and that's served on a similar board.
Like the time I got served a mango desert with my fish starter
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by m3red
Like the time I got served a mango desert with my fish starter
Old Jul 12, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: EK Gold

I have seen crew put the cheeseboard together; it wasn't pre-packaged. So in OPs case, probably just someone in the galley having a bad day...
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum

I've had patchy service from time to time too ..... I think it depends on the crew onboard on a particular day/flight .....

On the topic of cheese, the selection in the F lounge in Dubai has improved by leaps and bounds in recent times. Last time i was there was Jan/Feb - was very good. Will look again next month when I transit through....
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:19 am

Programs: QR Gold; EY Gold; Hilton Gold; IHG Plat Amb; Marriott Gold Elite; Hertz Pres Circ
#firstworldproblems

F on A380 last month, DXB-LHR, the cheese was per the original poster's "disappointment platter".

Some so-so cheeses, too-few crackers, one fig, three grapes, one limp celery stalk sliver, on limp carrot stick. Apricots? I can hardly remember.

So I poured myself an enormous Paradis to make up for it.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
How Can I upload a photo? It seems I can just upload links
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by tokyolyon
If its another photo of a cheese board please don't bother ^ They seem to be either brilliant or crap with no in between where someone was just content with the offerings.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 2:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ayeaway
If its another photo of a cheese board please don't bother ^ They seem to be either brilliant or crap with no in between where someone was just content with the offerings.
I'm looking forward to my cheese on Wed.

I shall post a picture just for you.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by m3red
I'm looking forward to my cheese on Wed.

I shall post a picture just for you.
OH could you please that would be super.

I shall immediately take a screen shot and print it off on only the finest photo quality paper have it framed and displayed.

Now as you must know we Muppet pikeys living in Burma have a bell at the end of our caravan which we like to call the bell end.

That is where I will display your gift. Proudly from my bell end.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I'll be interested to see the quality of cheese boards i get on my 4 F flights!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by tokyolyon
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...phy-forum.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.