Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Experience 2013

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Solitaire
Just completed a four flight trip in F SIN-BNE-AKL-MEL-SIN.

It was the usual pleasant experience, but nothing special about being a platinum, except one of the FS made a statement that "it is rare to see one of you guys".
If you fly f then status doesnt really matter that much.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:57 pm
ecm

Programs: EK Platinum, Iberia Plata, SPG Gold
Completed three rounds trips in J during April:

1. DXB-AMS-CDG-DXB
2. DXB-JFK-BOS-JFK-DXB
3. DXB-CDG-DXB

Some notes/comments:

1. Lounge - F lounge great in DXB, a nice treat

2. Check-in - I don’t check bags nor do physical check-in, so generally no difference other than in JFK, where you must do so…in any event, J line was empty as well there
• On the DXB-AMS-CDG-DXB, it was a same day return (don’t ask), and the check-in staff in the F line in DXB were unable to print me a return BP (it was still too early the night before so did not do the return segment from home)…no matter how much I insisted, it proved futile for whatever reason. After 20 minutes, I desisted
• I ended up quickly doing in on my BB as I moved through immigration and printed it off the business center computer in the F Lounge (!)

3. Plat Status - No mention of Plat status in any flight, lounge, or check-in other than one leg
• Not something I worry about or care, as long as the Champs is cold…but did find it curious, particularly on the April 4th flight given how close it was to the start of the program

4. Op-Ups - Of the 6 EK legs, 2 upgrades to F (DXB-AMS and DXB-CDG)
• Very welcome though I would say 33% hit rate is average for me

5. Plat Loads - Only asked about Plat loads in the DXB-JFK and the DXB-AMS legs
• On the DXB-JFK flight, there were a total of 6 Plats (and 2 IOs)…only 1 Plat in F, the rest in J and Y…no upgrades apparently, flight very full all around…seems like high Plat and IO loads
• On the DXB-AMS, there were 4 Plat in total, no IOs. One was in F already, then 3 were upgraded from J (+ 1 Gold partner), so 4 upgrades total

6. Chauffeur Drives - Massive queues for Chauffeur drive on DXB for 2 of the flights…Plat status seemed to carry some weight (all Volvos, btw, both ways in DXB)

7. Platinum Line - Have booked and upgraded several personal flights over the month and I have found many teething issues with the Plat call center staff and knowledge, though attentiveness is excellent as always

Of course, hard product and most times soft product continue to be excellent, key reason why I continue to fly EK. Generally, though, I would agree with what others have said - Plat is a marginally better version of Gold (perhaps even the new Gold?). I would hope to see additional enhancements over the coming months.

ECM
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:57 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ecm
On the DXB-JFK flight, there were a total of 6 Plats (and 2 IOs)…only 1 Plat in F, the rest in J and Y…no upgrades apparently, flight very full all around…
Plats in Y already! oh, that's surprising...

Originally Posted by ecm
Generally, though, I would agree with what others have said - Plat is a marginally better version of Gold (perhaps even the new Gold?)
At least, it gives you a higher priority for op-ups. And F lounge access, which is really useful when you have a morning departure.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:09 am
ecm

Programs: EK Platinum, Iberia Plata, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada
One of the I/Os was in Y as well, one right behind me in J
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:36 am

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum; Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jackiedada
I've done a couple of short haul on Y this month....
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:10 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by torontoflyer
I've done a couple of short haul on Y this month....
Noooo.. didn't expect that much competition for op-ups in Y
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
I tried EK in Y from LHR to DXB a few weeks ago to see what Platinum would be like for a Y traveller - no recognition of any kind and not a sniff of an opup. Oh well, back to revenue J and F... Platinum - the new (but slightly tarnished - if that is not an oxymoron because I am not sure if gold can be tarnished) Gold.
Old May 1, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
I guess the best benefit is the chance of op ups.
But then if you are already ticketed in F, not much of a difference to your on board experience.
Unless of course, if they would block a seat next to you in F if you're a revenue F platinum pax and IDB some poor chap in Y.

I really hate it when the cabin is full. Had 14/ 14 from 6 or 7 opups and the service was so subpar.
Old May 1, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: Skywards,
I have noticed that if one is flying long haul flight, the crew does "care" to greet you in person, ask if anything else is needed before take off.. lots of pleasantries etc...

while on the short haul (DXB- DEL or BOM and back), no one cares.. they dont even bother to stop by to hello... you are just a passenger...
Old May 2, 2013, 1:18 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by lazyboy
I have noticed that if one is flying long haul flight, the crew does "care" to greet you in person, ask if anything else is needed before take off.. lots of pleasantries etc...

while on the short haul (DXB- DEL or BOM and back), no one cares.. they dont even bother to stop by to hello... you are just a passenger...
Oddly enough I used to be greeted as Gold but have not been greeted once in any class as a Platinum. In fact the purser yesterday even asked me after take off if I had flown with them before and when I nodded he then asked if I was familiar with Dine on Demand. Go figure ...

FWIIW when I was in F to VCE yesterday I checked with purser (for the first time on any flight) how may plats and golds were on board and to my surprise he said 3 Plats and 20 or so Golds - I had expected fewer of each as I did not think it was a service that would be used much by regulars. Anyhow, with my last name beginning with a T I don't think I will be risking flying J and hoping for opups based on Platinum status anytime soon.
Old May 2, 2013, 2:04 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mrtdxb
In fact the purser yesterday even asked me after take off if I had flown with them before and when I nodded he then asked if I was familiar with Dine on Demand. Go figure ....
You see mrtdxb, they do care about you.....personal service
Old May 2, 2013, 2:47 am

Programs: EK Platinum, Starwoods Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lazyboy

Completely agree. Same with DXB-HYD. It is inconsistent.
Old May 2, 2013, 3:11 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG
Platinum Experience 2013

I wouldn't worry too much about recognition on flights. On a recent flight a cabin crew asked me if I was hoping to get platinum soon, I responded thinking it was an elaborate joke saying " well this io card doesn't get much recognition since platinum was introduced!" he responded deadpan " don't worry am sure you will get it soon". I said well I hope not! Which only added to the confusion!!
Old May 2, 2013, 5:49 am

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum; Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Havoc10G
I wouldn't worry too much about recognition on flights. On a recent flight a cabin crew asked me if I was hoping to get platinum soon, I responded thinking it was an elaborate joke saying " well this io card doesn't get much recognition since platinum was introduced!" he responded deadpan " don't worry am sure you will get it soon". I said well I hope not! Which only added to the confusion!!
that's actually pretty funny....
Old May 2, 2013, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Havoc10G
Thanks for this. I feel much better about myself now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.