Search

Platinum Experience 2013

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:34 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Platinum Experience 2013

Wanted to use this thread for Platinum members to talk about their experience - either on the ground or in the air. Has there been a difference for you since attaining Platinum, what do you see as the material benefits? Or any other issues or topics...
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:16 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Checked in at SIN tonite for my regular SIN-MEL shuttle. Busy as blazes even though the 404 is only half full. New Platinum signage is up and the F counter also has Plats listed. Check in process was the same - apart from the fact that she went to put a J tag on my bag (when an F tag is the requirement). She thanked me for reminding her
Old Apr 1, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum; Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Check in agent congratulated me for Platinum, said I got upgraded, and handed over a F boarding pass for my flight to LHR. The flight was pretty full, and said that now Plats get first priority on op-ups. (lets see how true is that in the days to come).
Purser came by and specifically congratulated on attaining Platinum, and asked how the overall experience was. I had a couple of FA's come and congratulate me too.
The F lounge on the A concourse is always good. I was traveling with a colleague who was in Y, and we had breakfast together in the lounge (a la carte).

So I would say that Plat is really worth it.
It sure is a plus when we go on family vacations, the kids (all 3) and the wife will be able to enjoy the F lounge too.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:53 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Strictly no difference. Actually I received even less "attention" than before.

My longhaul flight from Europe was delayed by one hour because of a delay of the incoming flight from DXB. Two weeks ago there was a similar situation and I was called to inform me of the delay and I could change my plans accordingly and leave to the airport later (OLCI, no checked luggage). No such thing yesterday.

On board, no greeting whatsoever, just one FA who did a sloppy job in the very few things I requested (prepared the bed, get me the right PJ size), but that's all I saw in terms of cabin crew. I don't expect more and I don't need more, but I share this to recount my non-Platinumesque experience.

Arriving almost one hour late in DXB I hoped that someone would pick me up at the gate in concourse A and rush me through my connecting flight which left from concourse C, as was the case last time I had a (lesser) delay. Nothing. Only several hundred yards further was there a lady shouting out my final destination airport, but had I taken a different turn before I would have missed her. No name sign or anything. Again, not a big deal, but actually less service than when I was a mere Gold in F.

On the connecting flight again, nothing different, no special greeting or anything. And another 50 minute delay (but that's got nothing to do with Plat, just part of an overall quite banal trip experience)
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: QF Gold
QF Platinum

Will I have any issues getting access to the EK First Class Lounge in Dubai when I fly EK from Australia to Europe end of May. Am flying in C but am QF Platinum so should be entitled to the Fist Class Lounge, correct ?

Cheers from Brisbane,

pswissoz
Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:47 am

I'm expecting a down-feel to being a lowly Gold now, on my next trip to the Far East in 15 days time.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:45 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Heading from MEL-AKL today and am in the QF First lounge (which is beside the EK lounge upstairs). This is a great lounge and while the EK MEL lounge is very very good, the QF lounge is much better.

The friendly QF receptionist asked me for my Plat card (which I dont yet have) but saw my status on my BP and then welcomed me in. I've used the QF lounge here in MEL before when I have flown CX so its not the first time.

But its now a great option - and is open all day. However, the MEL-SIN flight timing means you have to use the EK lounge as I think the QF lounge closes at 6pm and I know the preference is that you use the operating carriers lounge.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by tezzer
I'm expecting a down-feel to being a lowly Gold now, on my next trip to the Far East in 15 days time.
A down-feel? Is this a new benefit for Gold members? I'm already looking forward to my next flight!!
Old Apr 4, 2013, 5:17 am

Programs: EK, KL, AF, SQ
Dxb-cai, cai-dxb

Have to say a mixed feel about it all. Booked flights in J.

Great experience on the morning outbound flight, pickup in the Benz and no Volvo, op-upgrade to F, despite there being space in J, great attentive purser in short all as you would expect.

Return flight absolute crap. No boarding procedure in Cairo , which is probably more due to the airport staff rather than EK. Chaotic SFS reading names off of paper and not even looking at the people she is talking to, I am 100% sure she was net even aware of Platinum status.

Overall a mixed bag, not sure most staff now, at check in in Dubai they are probably well briefed, outstations not sure yet and out of experience I am fairly certain not all FA's know.

Lets see, Monday on KHI flight.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, GGL, Virgin Silver, Skywards Platinum, SPG VIP
Have my first long haul flight as Plat coming up next week (DXB-CMN) so will report back. Am also doing DXB-CPT the week after. Very dissapointed though to see that DXB-CPT is now all A340s with the old seats in J. I guess EK has no competition on this route so can afford to not have the lie-flat seats etc.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Aussie66
Have to say a mixed feel about it all. Booked flights in J.

Great experience on the morning outbound flight, pickup in the Benz and no Volvo, op-upgrade to F, despite there being space in J, great attentive purser in short all as you would expect.
This is certainly new and relatively unheard of. It isn't an op-up if there is space in J. Sounds like a complimentary upgrade.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 3:24 am

Just completed 3 flights MAA-DXB-JFK and DFW-DXB. Other than using the F lounge, the experience wasn't anything different from earlier (not that it was bad earlier!). I did get upgraded to F in the DFW-DXB sector but J was totally full when I checked it a day before the flight and after taking a quick look at the passenger manifest, I realised I would have probably got the upgrade as a Gold anyway.

Now waiting to board DXB-MAA.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
Done JNB-DXB-JED and DXB-IAD, a few weeks ago. Upgraded to F on all segments except DXB-JED. Special recognition from the crew on board long-haul segments but not to JED. Lounge lady in JNB noticed the status and said I was the first one to come through since they added it. F-lounge in DXB empty and a very nice treat -- with functioning WiFi!

Overall, happy but nothing earth shattering yet.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:41 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORD_UA1K
Upgraded to F on all segments except DXB-JED.

Overall, happy but nothing earth shattering yet.
So you were op-upped to F on 2 out of 3 legs? And still not happy Show me another airline who would treat you the same way (ie would a 1K'er be op-upped that many times, would a PPS member?)

In my mind, Platinum is what Gold used to be. If you want earth shattering, I think you need to shoot for i/O...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, EK Gold
Just completed a four flight trip in F SIN-BNE-AKL-MEL-SIN.

It was the usual pleasant experience, but nothing special about being a platinum, except one of the FS made a statement that "it is rare to see one of you guys".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.