Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Upgrade Email Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by whimike
Actually, neither. I started flying Emirates during the crazy sale in December 2011. I bought a ton of F an J tickets ($75k+) and e-mailed EK about getting Gold status since I will be flying them so much. EK USA responded with Gold status before I flew my first flight.

So, I was EK Blue during the few days between me opening an EK account and EK USA making me Gold. However, I have never flown an EK flight being anything other than Gold.
Wowww.^^. Did you mention anything about your status with other FF programs?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 6:28 pm

Actually, neither. I started flying Emirates during the crazy sale in December 2011. I bought a ton of F an J tickets ($75k+) and e-mailed EK about getting Gold status since I will be flying them so much. EK USA responded with Gold status before I flew my first flight.

So, I was EK Blue during the few days between me opening an EK account and EK USA making me Gold. However, I have never flown an EK flight being anything other than Gold.
That's how! Thanks for the explanation.

So I don't get assaulted for veering somewhat off topic, never been upgraded since flying EK 10 months ago. I do have a question though, how often do 'unconventional' upgrades happen at EK at their outstations? I used to fly with another Middle Eastern airline and would (if there's availability) get upgraded by the Station Managers of the airline at various destinations when I get to speak with them/run into them at check in.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by RJA321
That's how! Thanks for the explanation.

So I don't get assaulted for veering somewhat off topic, never been upgraded since flying EK 10 months ago. I do have a question though, how often do 'unconventional' upgrades happen at EK at their out stations? I used to fly with another Middle Eastern airline and would (if there's availability) get upgraded by the Station Managers of the airline at various destinations when I get to speak with them/run into them at check in.
The only places where I've got upgraded consistently is Dubai and airports in India. I have never been upgraded from any airport in the UK in almost 40 flights over the last 5 years.

This is my experience from 2012.

Uk : op up rate 0% ( never had an op up in last 5 years)
Dubai : Op up rate Yto J when flying to India 100% ( but have only done this twice)
Op up rate J to F flying to India 33%
Op up rate Y-J flying to UK. 0%
Op up rate J-F flying to UK 50%

India : Op up rate Y to J flying to DXB 66%
Op up rate J to F flying to DXB. 0%
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Wowww.^^. Did you mention anything about your status with other FF programs?
I couldn't, I didn't have any status with any FF program at the time. My travel went from 4x-6x per year with being ignorant about FF programs to complete insanity, partly fueled by FT, in the past 13 months.

In the past 13 months I became AA EXP (115k EQM), United 1k (185k EQM), AS MVPG 75K (120k EQM), and EK Gold (310k tier miles). earning all of these from BIS flying. I need to cool my heels a bit in 2013!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 1:14 am

I couldn't, I didn't have any status with any FF program at the time. My travel went from 4x-6x per year with being ignorant about FF programs to complete insanity, partly fueled by FT, in the past 13 months.

In the past 13 months I became AA EXP (115k EQM), United 1k (185k EQM), AS MVPG 75K (120k EQM), and EK Gold (310k tier miles). earning all of these from BIS flying. I need to cool my heels a bit in 2013!
Wowww.^^. You are every FT'ers dream.

By the way I wouldn't be surprised if you say that you get 'land sickness' after all this flying.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 2:42 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
The only places where I've got upgraded consistently is Dubai and airports in India. I have never been upgraded from any airport in the UK in almost 40 flights over the last 5 years.

This is my experience from 2012.

Uk : op up rate 0% ( never had an op up in last 5 years)
Dubai : Op up rate Yto J when flying to India 100% ( but have only done this twice)
Op up rate J to F flying to India 33%
Op up rate Y-J flying to UK. 0%
Op up rate J-F flying to UK 50%

India : Op up rate Y to J flying to DXB 66%y
Op up rate J to F flying to DXB. 0%
Me neither y to j or j to f but I've used emirates since 2007!

Ex man the plane is loaded with golds so I m probably way down the list although I will be gold by the time I next fly from man.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:00 am

Programs: BA; QF; EK; SQ; GA
I'm after an upgrade offer for CGK-LGW return any word on offers for the month of February?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:30 am

I got the email:
I was doing LHR-DXB-BKK (Y)
Offered Y to J on DXB-BKK for AED1800 but didn't take it.
Fortunately they gave it to me anyway at DXB
I am silver.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:25 am

Got email upgrade offer from Y to C SEZ-DXB €270 and took it.

Last edited by nimenime; Feb 14, 2013 at 10:29 pm
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:33 pm

I got offered to upgrade LGW-DXB next week for around £300, which i took the offer and upgraded, i only purchased the lowest Y fare available at the time.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Rui Santos
I got offered to upgrade LGW-DXB next week for around £300, which i took the offer and upgraded, i only purchased the lowest Y fare available at the time.
Im on EK 16 on the 20th . but sadly only in Y. No upgrade offer email in the last 4 years that I have been gold.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: Skyhigh Airlines Platinum for Life
I'm travelling HAM-DXB-CHC/AKL-SYD-DXB-HAM during February and March with my partner. We got upgrade offers Y-C for HAM-DXB (500 EUR p. P.), DXB-HAM (1800 AED p. P.) and AKL-SYD (252 NZD p. P.).

We took the AKL-SYD offer. We have no Skywards membership.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: SPG Platinum,HHonors Gold
I received upgrade emails for all the sectors of my AMS-MAA-AMS trip, both for me & my wife. AMS-DXB/ DXB-AMS for Eur 385, DXB-MAA/MAA-DXB for AED 670. I bought the cheapest of Y fare, took the offer in all segments. Me- Silver, wife-blue. We got upgraded to F at the gate for our DXB-AMS segment. It was my first F travel, it was blizz :-:.

When worked out I paid exactly half the price of a normal J fare ^, F was a bonus, trip couldn't get better .
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:47 am

Offered a NZD252 upgrade from Y to J (AKL to SYD). Not a bad deal, but only a three hour flight so will probably give it a miss...... will reassess closer to the time.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:52 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
Just got the email to upgrade my flight from Dubai to Tokyo Narita. The price is ridiculous. 3000 AED which is 816 USD. It will cost me 1267 USD to upgrade both my flights from Tunis then to Narita with business class mileage etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.