Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Upgrade with points using check-in online!

Upgrade with points using check-in online!

Old Nov 8, 12, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Question Upgrade with points using check-in online!

Hi!
Just received a newsletter from EK which states that from the 15th November, when you check in online you will be given the option of using miles to upgrade your booking!
Does anyone have anymore information about this please? As you can only checkin online 24hrs in advance I assume this will mean that you wouldn't be entitled to chauffeur drive?
Any info would be appreciated please.
And I'm just thinking - does this mean that less upgrade seats will be made available further in advance - as by doing this EK won't need to provide so many chauffeur cars? Or am I just being cynical?

Last edited by Northumberland Lady; Nov 8, 12 at 3:42 pm Reason: Forgot to add a point
Old Nov 8, 12, 5:56 pm

I think there are already too few seats in advance - perhaps they'll offer more sets, or, we can only hope, fractionally cheaper upgrade redemptions at check in.
Old Nov 8, 12, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Ung1 I agree - not enough seats for upgrade, I've sat in business and wonder why so many empty seats myself.
I agree with you - the upgrade should be cheaper if made at check in - after all you will loose out on benefits such as chauffeur, but I won't hold my breath!
Old Nov 8, 12, 10:10 pm

Just another dilution of a benefit previously reserved for Gold and Silver members.
Old Nov 8, 12, 10:38 pm

I can see where it makes sense - and maybe EK will offer this on certain routes. No point in offering it on sectors such as DXB-JFK or DXB-LHR but on a lot of the sectors I fly (ie SIN-MEL, or AKL-MEL) - premium cabin availability is wide open.

For example, I flew back yesterday from AKL to MEL. F was 7 out of 14 (and 4 of those were EK staff), J was 17 out of 76 and Y was 345 out of 399. There was plenty of upgrade availability.

In addition, with the commencement of the A380 ex MEL now, the loads via the 404/405 via SIN have fallen off a cliff so upgrade availability is plentiful.
Old Nov 9, 12, 4:11 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
Just another dilution of a benefit previously reserved for Gold and Silver members.
Totally agree that this will be yet another "enhancement" to the programme which is designed to be to the detriment of the elite tier level members, if this is available to all - which I believe that it is. Someone at EK is giggling to themselves as they think about how upset this will cause some to feel and are already planning the next "enhancement" designed to further devalue the programme (assuming that is really possible much more). At least EK don't have the nerve (yet) to list access to Chauffeur Drive as being a benefit for their elite tier members travelling in First and Business class which is what EY do on their website - hahaha - those in Business and First of course get that anyway whether they are a member of Etihad Guest or not, let alone being in a high tier. Some of the American FFPs provide windows for upgrades that open earlier for high tier members but there is no chance of EK doing this I am sure because they really do not seem to care a hoot. I am actually contemplating asking Skywards if I can have my status supressed from my boarding passes and the manifests as I feel more and more like an idiot for flying enough with them to be Gold and being recognised as such and thus being a potential butt of the staff's jokes. There is clearly a deep rooted culture within EK to focus on occasional travellers rather than regulars, who they probably view as not worth the trouble that comes with a DYKWIA attitude type individual (this is not aimed at our esteemed poster with the same handle of course). It is interesting to see how the Dubai owned, Jumeirah Hotels have gradually reduced (by way of enhancements) the benefits of their Sirius card programme and somehow I cannot bring myself to accept that this is coincidental. Rant over ...
Old Nov 9, 12, 10:00 am

Programs: SkyWards Ex Silver & BA
I suppose there has to be times when Y is over subscribed, so it would make sense to make offers for those booking in on line either for airmiles or cash for upgrades, discounting the difference on a sector by 50% would certainly appeal to many and would increase revenue, plus even if it only happened occasionally it would still promote booking in on line.
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:51 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Can Unaccompanied Minors check-in online or do we have to check in at the airport so they can assist with us?

Would be nice if UM's could use OLCI to avoid the 1hour+ long queues in DUR.

Is it possible to use OLCI and still get the service?

Thanks
Old Nov 10, 12, 4:01 am

Programs: EK, BA, TK
There are two unknowns:

a) whether 'upgrade at OLCI' involves a substantially discounted quantity of miles, or the same as would be required for a conventional upgrade at the airport. I would be surprised if there is a substantial discount - this has been advertised to Golds, and I think the reason Golds do not receive the cheap 'cash upgrade' emails is that too many discounted upgrades would dilute J and F revenue on regularly oversold routes.

b) whether this will be available to Blues - essentially it is an upgrade at check-in time, which was previously reserved for Silver and Gold.

I will also be interested to see what inventory is used for mileage upgrades at T-24 (or earlier, if checking in for a connecting flight also). Upgrading with miles at the airport, I've managed to get the last F seat on a flight (when there was no Z available). I don't think it's in EK's interest to allow the last F or J seats be filled by upgrades 36 hours before the flight, when there is a chance of selling full fare F or J tickets.
Old Nov 10, 12, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

EK hasn't said that the miles charge will be lower afaik
Old Nov 10, 12, 7:48 am

Programs: EK, BA, TK
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
EK hasn't said that the miles charge will be lower afaik
Indeed - I hope they resist the temptation to gain a few short-term dollars by last-minute discounting. That way US carriers lie...
Old Nov 11, 12, 1:03 am

Programs: EK Gold, Etihad Gold, AA Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
EK Doesn't Care About Frequent Travellers

Originally Posted by mrtdxb View Post
Totally agree that this will be yet another "enhancement" to the programme which is designed to be to the detriment of the elite tier level members, if this is available to all - which I believe that it is. Someone at EK is giggling to themselves as they think about how upset this will cause some to feel and are already planning the next "enhancement" designed to further devalue the programme (assuming that is really possible much more). At least EK don't have the nerve (yet) to list access to Chauffeur Drive as being a benefit for their elite tier members travelling in First and Business class which is what EY do on their website - hahaha - those in Business and First of course get that anyway whether they are a member of Etihad Guest or not, let alone being in a high tier. Some of the American FFPs provide windows for upgrades that open earlier for high tier members but there is no chance of EK doing this I am sure because they really do not seem to care a hoot. I am actually contemplating asking Skywards if I can have my status supressed from my boarding passes and the manifests as I feel more and more like an idiot for flying enough with them to be Gold and being recognised as such and thus being a potential butt of the staff's jokes. There is clearly a deep rooted culture within EK to focus on occasional travellers rather than regulars, who they probably view as not worth the trouble that comes with a DYKWIA attitude type individual (this is not aimed at our esteemed poster with the same handle of course). It is interesting to see how the Dubai owned, Jumeirah Hotels have gradually reduced (by way of enhancements) the benefits of their Sirius card programme and somehow I cannot bring myself to accept that this is coincidental. Rant over ...
Fully agree with the sentiments above. I have been gold for over 6 years, each year qualifying by 3-4x the minimum threshold. Yet every time I fly it's as if it's the first time with EK. The repeatedly denied requests to "unlock" one of the randomly blocked seats being one simple example.

I never quite understood that attitude - only way I can explain it is that EK management perversely think that frequent travelers are "locked-in" to EK and can't/won't switch to other choices, whereas EK has to work hard for the occasional traveler. Hence the huge marketing spend.

This is mirrored by approach to doing business in Dubai/UAE/Middle East in general. Frequent customers are viewed as captive cash cows to be exploited in the short term, rather than precious annuity to be carefully maintained ...
Old Nov 11, 12, 6:54 am

There are several comments in this thread about this being made available to Blue Members.

The OP doesn't state their Skywards Tier, so can anyone who received the Blue Newsletter confirm whether this was mentioned or not?
Old Nov 11, 12, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
There are several comments in this thread about this being made available to Blue Members.

The OP doesn't state their Skywards Tier, so can anyone who received the Blue Newsletter confirm whether this was mentioned or not?
ft101
This was actually sent to my (10yr old) daughter - who happens to be blue. Im silver.
Old Nov 11, 12, 10:14 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards | Lufthansa Miles&Mores | Hilton HHonors
I also received it and I'm currently (unfortunately) blue.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: