Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removed from aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
From OP's post I get the impression that the decision to offload the sick passenger was considered a misdiagnosis. In cases like this the question to be decided isn't whether the passenger is healthy but whether there is need to see a doctor ASAP.

OP's reaction to the situation seems strange to me, most normal people would have asked for hotel recommendations and called to the insurance company instead of buying new tickets... In situations like this continuing the trip when not advised by doctor, could cause serious insurance problems both for the airline & OP.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by miikkak
From OP's post I get the impression that the decision to offload the sick passenger was considered a misdiagnosis. In cases like this the question to be decided isn't whether the passenger is healthy but whether there is need to see a doctor ASAP.

OP's reaction to the situation seems strange to me, most normal people would have asked for hotel recommendations and called to the insurance company instead of buying new tickets... In situations like this continuing the trip when not advised by doctor, could cause serious insurance problems both for the airline & OP.
What post did you read? The doctor advised it was safe to continue the trip. Why would the family want hotel recommendations or to call an insurance company?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
How come so many people who would never fly on Emirates visit this forum?

Serious question.
They certainly are a major player so I am curious about their operation. But not rushed to try it when I read horror stories.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by starflyer
What post did you read? The doctor advised it was safe to continue the trip. Why would the family want hotel recommendations or to call an insurance company?
Because there probably was a fee for seeing the doctor, plus the passengers were delayed until the next flight and would have incurred some costs with an overnight hold up
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by af fp
They certainly are a major player so I am curious about their operation. But not rushed to try it when I read horror stories.
You will read horror stories about how awful X airline is and how will never travel again with them ya de ya de ya for pretty much every airline

Very people rush up to set up an account to lavish praise on an airline

Most , ime, OPWs come on, rant and then disappear - This one seems no different
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, HON, EK Gold
A pity for the OP, but I think EK did all they could. I wouldn't expect them to take the chance of transporting a sick child - better safe than sorry.

As for the other nonsense about flights and hotels - that's why peoople take out insurance!

Unfortunate but a bit of a non-story here I'm afraid

and as for the "I'll never fly EK" hysteria - GHU!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: IHG About to Be Demoted, AA Demoted to Nothingness
Sorry about your experience. Do you plan to post further, or will this be your first and only post?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Maigret
A pity for the OP, but I think EK did all they could. I wouldn't expect them to take the chance of transporting a sick child - better safe than sorry.

As for the other nonsense about flights and hotels - that's why peoople take out insurance!

Unfortunate but a bit of a non-story here I'm afraid

and as for the "I'll never fly EK" hysteria - GHU!
Where do you get the idea that EK did all they could? They did virtually nothing. They could have provided a hotel and meals - not a big imposition on the airline, and an easy way to smooth ruffled feathers. (I do take Dave Noble's point, however, that the behavior of the client may have influenced the decision.)

- Gowhere

That said, every airline has put their foot in it at sometime or other - I don't see any excuse for the "I'll never fly EK" response, either. I have to see a consistent corporate pattern of misbehavior before I start thinking that way. The occasional anecdote doesn't worry me too much.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by sendbillmoney
Sorry about your experience. Do you plan to post further, or will this be your first and only post?
Thanks for the smile
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Take home point: Don't answer intrusive personal questions from anyone, including FAs.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:31 am

I wondered whether this was a genuine case or a good example of trolling or whatever they call it in forums - stir up a hornet's nest with a made-up story and disappear. I also wondered whether fellow passengers complained to stewards which led to the alleged removal? The advice from the medical people who made comments seems to be that the airline did the right thing but they certainly didn't go about it in the correct manner and should have offered more help and recompense. I wonder if the OP will come back or whether they read the thread and have a chuckle or whether they are hacked off that everyone didn't 'side' with them?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Just to say my motivation for posting this thread was really to try and support other parents travelling with children with clear, evidence based opinion on choice of airline as it is very difficult for families who fly irregularly to know what’s best.

I am happy that you draw your own conclusions based on the information that I have provided though I think the website is all the poorer for receiving undeclared airline opinion.

Particular thanks however to those who expressed concern for our children and the dire experience that they had flying with Emirates.

I may post again in the future but I shall certainly not be flying with Emirates.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by Robinsonpyy
Just to say my motivation for posting this thread was really to try and support other parents travelling with children with clear, evidence based opinion on choice of airline as it is very difficult for families who fly irregularly to know what’s best.

I am happy that you draw your own conclusions based on the information that I have provided though I think the website is all the poorer for receiving undeclared airline opinion.

Particular thanks however to those who expressed concern for our children and the dire experience that they had flying with Emirates.

I may post again in the future but I shall certainly not be flying with Emirates.
Thanks for posting again. The problem on these forums is that there are loads of posters who make one post and never come back again. I hope you understand why there are so many negative comments about you and I fully understand why you feel 'shot down'
I don't have any children yet but I can understand the extreme agony you had to go through
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
All I have is the information that you posted but If I was on the aircraft I would have recommended that you do not fly. However EK should have supported you if you had to be removed from the aircraft .

The problem with EK is that they have made wrong decisions several times in the past with disasterous consequences.So it is a better safe than sorry approach at the moment.

If EK had made a decision to let your family continue your journey and If something goes wrong (I do agree that this would be extremely unlikely in your case) then there would be
News articles all over the world about how EK did not care for the pax or at least hinting about the same leading to loss of several hundred or even several thousand pax.

Now how many pax is EK going to lose in the future by removing you? Just you and your family.But if you were in F or EK I/O or EK gold you might have been treated in a different manner.

Last edited by ukdoctor; Sep 14, 2012 at 5:27 pm
Old Sep 14, 2012, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Robinsonpyy
Except it isn't evidence based, it is based on your own subjective opinions

I doubt very much that any airline pilot , given advice that a passenger should not travel without getting checked by a doctor is going to do anything different

Maybe some airlines might provide accommodation in this situation, but I don't see that they have any obligation to do so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.