Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Why has this never happened on my EK flight? :D

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why has this never happened on my EK flight? :D

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Typical of the inexperienced 380 crews to let something like that get out of hand. I lost count of the number of safety and procedural violations in that video. Too many people in the bar area, unauthorised decorations being fitted to the roof, etc...

It's all fun until someone gets hurt.
Not to mention everyone dancing in sync. That could be 1000kg bouncing around... just because a platform is suitable for standing on does not mean it is suitable for dancing on.

Looking carefully at the video it is this behaviour that the FA behind the bar takes objection to. Whether it's in the EK staff briefing document not to permit groups dancing, or whether the roof of Y started bouncing - correct decision.

As for maximum occupancy, the number of available oxygen masks is an important consideration... the VS bars have notices to this effect... and the aviation experts here can no doubt elaborate on further requirements. Determining a safe capacity and sticking to it (displaying a notice is often a legal requirement) is safety rule #1 in places of assembly at ground level.

Provided the roof decoration wasn't significantly weighty or difficult to remove, though, it could hardly do more damage than a flying bottle of wine...
Old May 8, 2012, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by phillystudent
While I'm surprised that it was allowed by the crew to begin with, good job by (seemingly) the purser at the end to bring it under control. Then again, if I was on this jet, I'd want it to be absolutely out of control.
Situations like that start with three or four people having a drink in the bar. A phone is produced and music is played softly. Another person turns up. Maybe people dance for a second or two, having a laugh more than anything else. Another person walks in. Then the volume gets turned up and before you know it a disco ball has been attached to the roof, a rave has started and you're wondering how they got the foam machine onboard and hotwired power out of the galley.

That's why staff need to be clear ahead of time where the line is, because 'just one more person' always seems insignificant.

I wonder if anyone in row 25 claimed to be trying to sleep and got put in F instead...
Old May 8, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: AMEX Cent AU, UA Plat, 9W Plat, Amtrak S+, HHonors Slv
Originally Posted by father_ted
That's why staff need to be clear ahead of time where the line is, because 'just one more person' always seems insignificant.
Well said. Small scale gatherings can easily run out of hand in mere minutes, so being able to regulate in real-time is very important.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:33 am

Provided the roof decoration wasn't significantly weighty or difficult to remove, though, it could hardly do more damage than a flying bottle of wine...
Anything attached to an overhead panel potentially obstructs the drop lines for oxygen masks in the case of depressurisation.

Regulations exist for a reason and the disregard of them is a good example of why some A380 crews at Emirates are outright dangerous to fly with.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
I noticed someone brought over his bottle of Dom from F. Possibly trying to score some points lol
Old May 8, 2012, 4:15 pm

Anything attached to an overhead panel potentially obstructs the drop lines for oxygen masks in the case of depressurisation.
Fair point. On first inspection of the video the two visible roof decorations appear to be attached directly over the bar, to the wooden veneer unit containing the bar downlighters. I'm not sure whether there are masks in this immediate area.

I'm on a 388 next week, so will pay closer attention... and see if the crew are aware of capacity limits or if there is signage.

Please understand that my use of the bar will be entirely for research purposes - it would simply be rude not to have a drink whilst conducting said research.
Old May 8, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Typical of the inexperienced 380 crews to let something like that get out of hand. I lost count of the number of safety and procedural violations in that video. Too many people in the bar area, unauthorised decorations being fitted to the roof, etc...

It's all fun until someone gets hurt.
B747 sounds like the official FT party-pooper.
Old May 8, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: Several
I'll take that risk in this situation, and if there was a depressurization I would likely just pass out until the pilots made it to a safe altitude (which, when do they not within minutes?)

On the plus side to that, I'll be waking up thinking "that was one helluva party"
Old May 9, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: AMEX Cent AU, UA Plat, 9W Plat, Amtrak S+, HHonors Slv
Please understand that my use of the bar will be entirely for research purposes - it would simply be rude not to have a drink whilst conducting said research.
All in the name of science. Thanks for taking one for the team!

Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
On the plus side to that, I'll be waking up thinking "that was one helluva party"
Hahaha... well said!
Old May 9, 2012, 7:02 am

http://www.vanitywalk.co.nz/models.php?var=2

Old May 14, 2012, 6:48 am

I'm on a 388 next week, so will pay closer attention... and see if the crew are aware of capacity limits or if there is signage.
I just looked up my notes from my first A380 flight on Emirates 3+ years ago and I noted at that time that the bar area was placarded for maximum occupancy of 21 persons.
Old May 14, 2012, 1:45 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
I just looked up my notes from my first A380 flight on Emirates 3+ years ago and I noted at that time that the bar area was placarded for maximum occupancy of 21 persons.
Your notes?
Old May 14, 2012, 1:49 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by khalid26
Your notes?
He needs to get out more....
Old May 14, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
+/- 100%, close enough!
Old May 14, 2012, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by khalid26
Your notes?
I take notes about the safety features of any aircraft type when I fly it for the first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.