Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too many announcements onboard

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeJoe
I could swear I have heard a lot of pings when the seatbelt sign goes on but it could be that I've dreamed.
I'm not referring to the "ping" sound that is standard. I am referring to the automated announcement that Emirates used to have (until around 2008) advising that the seatbelt sign had been turned on, and was subsequently deactivated fleetwide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov7MlBgPcmo

The "ping" sound is not audible when you have headphones on, which is increasingly becoming the standard for all passengers with the ICE system. This announcement used to pause the IFE and alert passengers about the change in status.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by SingaporeJoe
I could swear I have heard a lot of pings when the seatbelt sign goes on but it could be that I've dreamed.
No back before about December of 2008, Emirates always had the seat belt sign so that when it was turned on first a ping was heard, then a rather loud recorded English man's voice would come on saying, 'Please fasten your seatbelt' then repeated by an Arabic version.
Believe me, happening about four times well trying to cross the Atlantic even due to the smallest amount of turbulence prevented you from falling asleep. Since it both woke up passengers and/or prevented them from falling asleep, it was removed. Haven't heard it since about 2008. Now its just the annoying pinging sound!

Last edited by CaptainEKAirbus; Jan 20, 2012 at 1:29 pm
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by CaptainEKAirbus
Since it both woke up passengers and/or prevented them from falling asleep, it was removed.
Isn't that the point? Passengers need to be awakened if there is turbulence and reminded of the safety precautions to be taken.

This is an area that I constantly have reservations about Emirates. They are too willing to cut the corners on safety in favour of perceived customer service. Eventually, that will catch up to them and contribute towards a disaster.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Interesting viewpoint.

I actually believe that Emirates is DEFICIENT in their announcements because of their decision a few years ago to remove the automated audible alert when their seatbelt signs are turned on.

The plan was to replace the audible alerts with manual compliance checks by the crew, but many crews do not engage in proper proactive compliance checks with sleeping passengers - and indeed do not engage in compliance checks at all when the sign is illuminated during meal services. As a result, at any given time you probably have about half the cabin sitting without their seatbelts fastened - not because they are scofflaws but because they simply didn't notice it come on while watching ICE with headphones on.

Sadly it will probably take a bunch of injuries on a "western" flight (EK already had an issue related to this on one of their South Indian flights a couple years ago but it was hushed up) before this policy is reviewed again.
The COK flight???.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/-seri...ed-158617.html

Its my usual flight 6-7 times/year.

Last edited by ukdoctor; Jan 21, 2012 at 5:57 am
Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I have to admit that EK crew are extremely lenient.I always see passengers use the fasten seatbelt for landing message as a wake up call for visiting the toilets!!!.(I have been guilty of doing the same once or twice after too much Dom!!!). I have never seen the crew react aggresively(at least in j and f)

I have not seen any other airline being so lenient in J/F.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
The COK flight???.
Yes. The way it was handled with regards post-incident debrief and actions was disgraceful and raised serious questions (again) about EK's safety culture.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I have not seen any other airline being so lenient in J/F.
Then wait till you fly Saudia (SV). The cabin crew does not care about anything there (cell phones, laptops switched on for takeoff, seatbelt usage, etc.)
Old Jan 21, 2012, 1:34 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Mod Note.

Folks a gentle reminder/nudge to please stay OT. We're talking about announcements onboard...

Thanks

eightblack
Moderator-EK Forum
Old Jan 21, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
If the pinging sound cannot be heard when watching IFE, perhaps EK should implement an alert on the screen? Perhaps a small box that doesn't fully annoy the passenger.

I was on a QR flight yesterday, and the crew prompted a message on the screen when they started collecting the blankets. They announced first, then prompted on the screen.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: SQ SPPS, EK I/O, CX DM, SU Plat, Hyatt DM, IC RA Plat, HH DM, AMX Cent
Different Signs

Originally Posted by lsed
If the pinging sound cannot be heard when watching IFE, perhaps EK should implement an alert on the screen? Perhaps a small box that doesn't fully annoy the passenger.

I was on a QR flight yesterday, and the crew prompted a message on the screen when they started collecting the blankets. They announced first, then prompted on the screen.
On any EK flight when the Capt switches on the Buckle Up sign then either the cabin crew or the FO/CAP will come online & wake u up to do the needful. However on LH & ULH)flights do not expect the cabin crew to come & check on u & I am talking about FCL which stands correct on EK, BA, LH, AF.

Have exerienced SQ & CX as the only one's who come & do it for you even when you are sleep(if they can without bothering you) SU or LAN will come & wake u up for sure even in J(no F service now)

Safe Flying

EGT

PS:Whats with the crazy turbulence over Atlantic esp between Iceland & Western Europe nowadays
Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:44 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
The seatbelts thing - a box in the corner of the screen should do.

I think we should have the option to skip the Welcome to ICE video though. Most of the time I've already been watching for half an hour prior to the welcome video, so it's kind of pointless except for people who are new to the system.

A skip option would be nice (Like, press 7547 on the remote to skip). Something which can't be done by accident.

@OP: I just did four flights within 3 weeks on EK, spanning 36 hours. I was seriously considering starting a thread about that Welcome to ICE video here on FT....

Last edited by Xlr; Jan 21, 2012 at 7:52 pm
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:24 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
Smile

I actually love the ICE video! very catchy!

Here is a link for anyone who wants to watch it again! ^

/AE
Old Jan 22, 2012, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by angeloedades
I actually love the ICE video! very catchy!

Here is a link for anyone who wants to watch it again! ^

/AE
Angeloedades, you are my new best friend. This comes really handy as I have no flights booked for two weeks so I may need a fix for withdrawal symptons.

OK, let's start a new quest. What's the most irritating bit of that video? My vote goes to that guitar player at about 0:20 onwards. You don't often _see_ a musician being out of tune _and_ rhythm but this one is obviously so out of everything it just makes my heart cringe.

The honorary mentikon goes to that grandma speaking to that ancient phone but I am not going to watch the video any further to find out where exactly it is.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:57 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Apologies for being OT - but I think if you know how many times Mamma Mia! was watched by a single pax en route to DXB according to this video, you should be allowed skip it.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: EK Platinum, Starwoods Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Isn't that the point? Passengers need to be awakened if there is turbulence and reminded of the safety precautions to be taken.

This is an area that I constantly have reservations about Emirates. They are too willing to cut the corners on safety in favour of perceived customer service. Eventually, that will catch up to them and contribute towards a disaster.
I distinctly remember that the ping was usually followed by a Manual announcement. Or may be it was all that whiskey and I am imagining things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.