Too many announcements onboard

Old Jan 19, 12, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, EK Gold
Too many announcements onboard

So, I am starting to be genuinely fed up with that Welcome to ICE video in two languages from which there is no escape. There must be a specially trained group of jingle writers who are trained in making the airline background muzak as irritating as possible.

I also really don't care which route we will be taking and how high we will be flying, let alone how the weather might possibly turn out to be somewhere which is not within a continent of where I'm going. The languages spoken by the crew is somewhat cute but I'd still prefer silence.

IMHO, travellers in premium cabins should have an option of switching off all but those PA bits that are mandated by the law, i.e. safety and security, possibly also that heart warming welcome to Australia "you will be sniffed by dogs, we will snoop through your things, you will be caught and we will prosecute the life out of you" video [or equivalent in other destinations]. In fact, in the likes of first class those announcements should probably be switched off by default and the crew should check whether the traveler is familiar with the entertainment system or prefers an introduction on it.

So, what do you people think? I would definitely opt for a silent cabin if there was one.
Old Jan 19, 12, 4:57 pm

Programs: AP, CX Gold, HHonours Gold, SPG Gold, KL/AF Gold
Originally Posted by SingaporeJoe View Post
... I would definitely opt for a silent cabin if there was one.
But there is! It's called a Private Jet!

Until then, you shall have to share the cabin with mere mortals and put up with the noise...
Old Jan 19, 12, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by payam81 View Post

On s serious note to the OP: But I remember that the speakers in the First suites are turned down to the point that you barely hear them during those videos? Not sure if you're referring to Business though.
Old Jan 19, 12, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by payam81 View Post

Until then, you shall have to share the cabin with mere mortals and put up with the noise...
Now that most respected payam81 has demonstrated how to miss a point, any takers for other awards and trophies?
Old Jan 19, 12, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post

On s serious note to the OP: But I remember that the speakers in the First suites are turned down to the point that you barely hear them during those videos? Not sure if you're referring to Business though.
The volume levels are very different on different flights. Sometimes they are nice and quiet but sometimes one needs double the hair gel to stop the comb over from being blown away by the announcements.
Old Jan 19, 12, 5:58 pm

Programs: OWS
I would not ever board a flight without my iPod/iPad and my noise-cancelling Sony earphones, this way the problem is deemed non-existent!
Old Jan 20, 12, 12:48 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Platinum, Qatar Privilege Club Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I also think the same thing, but then I'm flying on EK twice a week, so it gets repetitive for me.

Anyone remember the previous ICE introduction video?.... that was at least triple the current one's length....
Old Jan 20, 12, 1:03 am

Fully agree with the OP. EK makes far too much unnecessary noise in the cabin.
Old Jan 20, 12, 1:19 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, OneWorld (BA) Emerald
You should try Ryanair!

I always take my iPad and start watching it as soon as my bum hits the EK seat, but I do watch the safety video if only to encourage others to do so too.
Old Jan 20, 12, 1:27 am

Programs: EK, BA, TK
Agree completely. I was going to raise this on FT as a recent flight omitted the ICE intro video, which was welcome. I understand that the safety video has to be played, and in multiple languages. However, who needs to be told that there is IFE on the plane, when the monitor in front of them quite clearly states this? I think most of us would be happy with a compromise of simply being able to skip it once it starts.

Interruptions to the IFE should be limited to:
-Safety video (although a really smart IFE system should enable you to set your language and only play it once. It'd have to be subtitled to allow for those not wearing their headphones at the time...)
-Captain on PA
-FAs with *important* announcements like turbulence etc... Their comms handsets should really have two PA buttons, one for safety announcements and another for announcing duty free sales, charity efforts etc. The former would interrupt IFE and play on cabin speakers at a louder volume than the latter, which would not interrupt IFE.

Or am I just grumpy?
Old Jan 20, 12, 5:00 am

I kind of like it and always have a chuckle when i see the kid with the mohawk arab style or the asian girl sniffing as if someone farted behind her
Old Jan 20, 12, 5:19 am

Interesting viewpoint.

I actually believe that Emirates is DEFICIENT in their announcements because of their decision a few years ago to remove the automated audible alert when their seatbelt signs are turned on.

The plan was to replace the audible alerts with manual compliance checks by the crew, but many crews do not engage in proper proactive compliance checks with sleeping passengers - and indeed do not engage in compliance checks at all when the sign is illuminated during meal services. As a result, at any given time you probably have about half the cabin sitting without their seatbelts fastened - not because they are scofflaws but because they simply didn't notice it come on while watching ICE with headphones on.

Sadly it will probably take a bunch of injuries on a "western" flight (EK already had an issue related to this on one of their South Indian flights a couple years ago but it was hushed up) before this policy is reviewed again.
Old Jan 20, 12, 6:33 am

Programs: EK, BA, TK
That's a fair point regarding the automated announcements - I hadn't noticed. Some Pursers do make a PA, which interrupts IFE when the sign is turned on, but I'm not sure if this is policy or individual initiative.

Furthermore, I'm not sure why they made that decision - personally, excessive announcements annoy me but I'd never have a problem with being told the seatbelt sign is on.

I've never used the in-seat phones, but I'd be interested to know how PA interacts with that, and what the other half of the conversation hears.
Old Jan 20, 12, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EK004 Regular View Post
You should try Ryanair!

I always take my iPad and start watching it as soon as my bum hits the EK seat, but I do watch the safety video if only to encourage others to do so too.
I had the pleasure of flying Pacific Blue recently and after a five hour flight, I was totally ready to climb on the walls. All the commercials and other things broadcasted, the millions of screaming kids, etc. How does that compare to a Ryanair experience? Don't think I've ever flewn them.

Oh yes, and on the ranting off about Emirates. I'm not sure when exactly it started but now they also tell you *on arrival* that there's a lounge at the airport that you can use if you fly outbound on first or business or are a skywards gold. What the he** is the point of that?
Old Jan 20, 12, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
I actually believe that Emirates is DEFICIENT in their announcements because of their decision a few years ago to remove the automated audible alert when their seatbelt signs are turned on.

Sadly it will probably take a bunch of injuries on a "western" flight (EK already had an issue related to this on one of their South Indian flights a couple years ago but it was hushed up) before this policy is reviewed again.
I could swear I have heard a lot of pings when the seatbelt sign goes on but it could be that I've dreamed.

In any case, I do personally always have my seat belt on. Did any of you read the final report of the investigation into the Qantas incident where the plane just plunged mid-flight. The conclusion was that there really was no clear reason why the equipment malfunctioned, and the report even speculated on whether cosmic rays could have caused it. Highly unlikely but not entirely impossible. Imagine a component with a shielding deficiency and a bit of external energy hitting the CPU during some critical operation, causing unexpected branching. This is theoretically plausible and in fact a common attack method in security assessments, but normally more energy is required. However, when the malfunction rates are in the range of one per million hours of operation, it is hard to predict them and it's just best be prepared.

Search this Thread