Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

AKL to SYD in J with Emirates (EK 413) on A388

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AKL to SYD in J with Emirates (EK 413) on A388

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Meow Mix
Smile AKL to SYD in J with Emirates (EK 413) on A388

Hi Guys,

Today I was very excited to have booked a sector on AKL to SYD in J Class with emirates!.

Just posting to ask the EK community to ask what I should be watching out for during my 3 hour and 20 minute flight? Also is anyone able to tell me in what order they would be doing things? ie. Pre-flight drinks, information on the bar etc...

Any information would be greatly appreciated to maximise this very short experience!

/AE
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:58 am
Original Poster

I forgot to add, sorry, how is the actual experience with regards to the AKL EK lounge? doing some google search and some have mixed feelings about the size and the feel of the place.

/AE
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:00 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You'll get a pre flight drink, followed by a meal after take off. The A380 J service can be slow, so you may not get too much time in the bar.

If it was me, I'd eat in the lounge beforehand, and then head for the bar as soon as the seat belt sign went off A few relaxing drinks and snacks before you get to SYD.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:02 am

Programs: QFF Plat, OZ*G, HH Gold
Remember to book the chauffeur driver.... I find it extremely handy, and the drivers in Sydney do expect a tip, unlike NZ.... Lol
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by 123dd
Remember to book the chauffeur driver.... I find it extremely handy, and the drivers in Sydney do expect a tip, unlike NZ.... Lol
Thanks for that 123dd I checked this afternoon but unfortunately, I am not able to book this service because I got a cheap fare AKL-SYD (no other end destination). - Unless I am wrong?

/AE
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You'll get a pre flight drink, followed by a meal after take off. The A380 J service can be slow, so you may not get too much time in the bar.

If it was me, I'd eat in the lounge beforehand, and then head for the bar as soon as the seat belt sign went off A few relaxing drinks and snacks before you get to SYD.

Thanks DYKWIA! is the menu substantial for a 3 hour flight? Also I am sure that I can have a cheeky Champagne cocktail while the setup my table! hahah

/AE
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not in my experience; I haven't tipped driver in Australia at all

Originally Posted by angeloedades
Thanks for that 123dd I checked this afternoon but unfortunately, I am not able to book this service because I got a cheap fare AKL-SYD (no other end destination). - Unless I am wrong?
Correct ; travelling on a purely trans tasman itinerary in business class, there is no chauffeur drive offered

Depending on where you are travelling from in Auckland and where you need to get to in Sydney, it may well be worth considering an upgrade to 1st class ; 1st class (A class) is NZD490 more expensive than the cheapest business fare (O class) but when I do it, I get about NZD300 value of car transfers, so NZD190 extra for 1st over business ( plus all the flexibility of a flex 1st fare)

Alternatively, the upgrade plus the car transfers may be worth 12.5/16k to use points on

Of course, if you don't have far to go at each end, it may not be worth considering

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 8, 2012 at 3:29 am
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
angeloedades, I did this flight yesterday (although in F) and if you can wait a few days there will be a very extensive trip report on it, including photos of the nice lounge at AKL.

Dave Noble's advice is spot on regarding the upgrade to First, it can almost be justified by the price of the chauffeur transfer alone.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by matthandy
angeloedades, I did this flight yesterday (although in F) and if you can wait a few days there will be a very extensive trip report on it, including photos of the nice lounge at AKL.

Dave Noble's advice is spot on regarding the upgrade to First, it can almost be justified by the price of the chauffeur transfer alone.
Hi matthandy I will certainly await that report!

I still owe the BA forum a trip report on a BA Premium Eco flight I did last year but I think it may be too late!

/AE
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: QFF Plat, OZ*G, HH Gold
Originally Posted by angeloedades
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Correct ; travelling on a purely trans tasman itinerary in business class, there is no chauffeur drive offered
Ok, maybe I'm a bit outdated...... Has EK downgraded services on J? I used to do Browns Bay to Seven Hills on purely transtasman J on EK, and found it to be very good value.... But I do not get any benefit when going to Asia on my EK status, so haven't set foot on a EK bird for a few years now..... Really hope they can join an alliance, preferably ow... lol
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Qantas FF
The EK lounge in AKL has been upgraded last year & is now bigger & better.

I would also recommend upgrading (either paying or with miles) from J to F

IF you're a Skywards member there was the 10% discount which you might still be able to get !

Hope you enjoy your trip & do post back with your experience.

Cheers
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Ok, maybe I'm a bit outdated...... Has EK downgraded services on J? I used to do Browns Bay to Seven Hills on purely transtasman J on EK, and found it to be very good value.... But I do not get any benefit when going to Asia on my EK status, so haven't set foot on a EK bird for a few years now..... Really hope they can join an alliance, preferably ow... lol
They no longer offer chauffeur drive on purely trans tasman business class itineraries; given the cost of the car service and the low cost of the flights, it doesn't seem that unreasonable given that the current cost in O class AKL-SYD is AUD404

From http://www.emirates.com/gr/English/p...available.aspx

Details for AU/NZ airports

Originally Posted by EK
Business Class itineraries which are exclusively between New Zealand and Australia are not eligible for Chauffeur-drive.
All other itineraries are eligible, including Business Class itineraries which involve a stopover in Australia.

As far as alliances go, I really hope that they do not join any and stay as they are
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EK_Flyer
The EK lounge in AKL has been upgraded last year & is now bigger & better.

I would also recommend upgrading (either paying or with miles) from J to F

IF you're a Skywards member there was the 10% discount which you might still be able to get !

Hope you enjoy your trip & do post back with your experience.

Cheers
Thanks for that EK_Flyer! I will try and do a proper trip report this time! and I did know about this discount once I have logged into my Skywards home page! I guess I have learned my lesson to not let the excitement of an A380 get to me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.