SA operated by EK

Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, FB Silver
SA operated by EK

Hi,
I have a trip from DXB to JNB with EK's A380 upcoming end of the month. I'm a LH Senator (*G), flying on a SA ticket. Does this allow me to check-in in Business/First class and use the Business/First lounge of EK or SA/LH/LX (*A Gold) in Dubai? What about the return privileges in JNB?

Thanks!

Last edited by gorbatzjov; Jan 5, 2012 at 2:38 pm
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Which class are you flying in?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

sorry, forgot to mention indeed. I'm flying Y, unfortunately.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
As far as I know, *G privileges are determined by the operating carrier not the ticketed carrier. As EK is not *A I am pretty sure you will not get lounge access / J check-in on either end unfortunately.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:42 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
As far as I know, *G privileges are determined by the operating carrier not the ticketed carrier. As EK is not *A I am pretty sure you will not get lounge access / J check-in on either end unfortunately.
I would agree in the sense that lounge access will unlikely be granted.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:28 pm

I am in no way an expert on Star Alliance but their Lounge Acccess policy seems somewhat ambiguous especially when it comes to defining a Star Alliance-operated flight:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.
Customer must present proof of Star Alliance Gold level status via a valid frequent flyer program Star Alliance Gold level card or other valid indication of Star Alliance Gold level status
Customer must also present a boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport

Others
Star Alliance flight: Flights operated under the two letter code of a Star Alliance member carrier
Boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight: Boarding pass must display the two letter code for a Star Alliance member carrier operated flight departing from that airport

Those 2 points under Others seem to define a boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight (which is what you need for *G lounge access) as one that has a Star Alliance airline code on it and a Star Alliance flight as one that is operated under such a code.

I understand that implementation might be different from interpretation.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
I think as far as EK is concerned, you're nothing. You might however be able to access a Star Gold lounge in DXB, but not the EK lounge.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:23 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ung1
I think as far as EK is concerned, you're nothing. You might however be able to access a Star Gold lounge in DXB, but not the EK lounge.
I think as far as EK is concerned, Golds and Silvers and Blues are nothing as well

Don't even start me on the lounge access policy...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:29 pm

Although if my interpretation of the Access Policy in my previous post is correct (big if) then the following clause would seem to indicate that if there is no Star Gold lounge but SA contracts lounge access in DXB with EK then access should be granted by EK - too many ifs, I know.

Contract Lounges
Star Alliance Gold customers have access to third party Contract Lounges contracted by the Star Alliance member carrier on which the customer is travelling.
Customer must present proof of Star Alliance Gold level status via a valid frequent flyer program Star Alliance Gold level card or other valid indication of Star Alliance Gold level status
Customer must also present a boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport having a contract with the third party lounge

I think as far as EK is concerned, Golds and Silvers and Blues are nothing as well
Of that I am sure you are right and the question is probably better asked in the SAA or Star Alliance fora

Last edited by 3544quebec; Jan 5, 2012 at 8:53 pm
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys for your answer. I'll post something in the SAA or *A forum to find out what defines a *A flight and what lounge to get in to. However, if all the if's above are correct, I doubt the DXB airport staff will know this or even care about this... Will try and let you know!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by eightblack

Don't even start me on the lounge access policy...
+1 on the above!

to the OP As LH sen you can use the SEN lounge in DXB. AFAIK there is one. You can also use the Voyager (baobab) lounge in JNB

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.